1. This web comic needs more readers. So what are you waiting for? Read :D.
  2. The new season of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. Congratulations to goldb for winning the Friends Photography contest!, and as always, well done to the other participants!.

Voting has begun for the Special Halloween Art Contest
    Witch.

Also there is a special announcement regarding the Winter Art Contest, so please Read up!
  4. This year's Community Awards have ended. Check out the results HERE!
  5. The very first Magi Awards have begun! Nominate your favorite Moments and Characters now!
  6. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Discussion in 'Manga News' started by jagman1x3, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Leoat12

Leoat12 Registered User

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Brazil
    I liked Robot x Laserbeam, it was smooth, well explained and I liked Robot, he reminds me a bit of Saitama because he doesn't care about anything. XD
    Well, it sure has a math behind perfect hits and swings in sports, but it's easier said than done. hahaha
    In any case, if it serves the purpose of making me learn more about golf, that's good enough even though it's exaggerated.

Kadir0 likes this.
  2. RafaFedKilla

RafaFedKilla Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

United States
    What do you think Miura's power will be?

3. Mammo

Mammo Registered User

Holy Britannian Empire
    here's my theory about shipping wars, people seek in fiction what their real life is missing
    someone who constantly seek romance everywhere or people who constantly post about their waifus probably never talked to a girl before
    basically their delusions are probably all they got

so when someone take this delusion from them they lose their shit

my respect for their graphic designer went waaaaaaaaaaaay up

G_I_A likes this.
  4. Nakurawari

Nakurawari Registered User

Ireland
    Weekly WSJ Manga Sales Rankings:
    9. Haikyu!! 25
    18. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma 23
    29. World Trigger 18
    37. Black Clover 10
    84. Kimetsu no Yaiba 5
    205. Samon the Summoner 8
    288. Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~ 13

Drmke, G_I_A, James Rye and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mawara

Mawara Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Germany
    That's why I dont really get the reasoning of people disliking him. I mean, I DO get their reasoning, but this is an actual character flaw, which a maincharacter like him should have. He wants to be the best of all heroes and needs to learn how to be a good hero first. After all, I can relate to Deku in this very moment, where he wanted to save a CHILD from a guy he knew is a criminal. His reactions make sense & I like him, because of that, he is a good guy after all, even if it wasnt that smart. On the contrary, if he didnt react like that & werent worried for the kid, it would've damaged him much more in my eyes.
    This situation wasnt black/white, both sides(Acting now & saving the gir/Dont do anything & let them go)l had their points.

ChocoBar9, niichan and Nakurawari like this.
  6. Kadir0

Kadir0 Registered User

The Wall
    If his character was perfect, there will be a complains, if he has a flaw, there will be complains, i think Deku needs to work on his charm more :-P

Anway, i like Horikoshi's plans for Shigaraki, villain growing up along with the main character, being immature together, get developments together, have we ever had that kind of villains in Jump before? Usually those villains are those that are heroes at the beginning and turned a full villain at the end, but can't remember one that was a full villain from the beginning.

7. Nakurawari

Nakurawari Registered User

Ireland
    Exactly. I love the theme of conflict of what a hero actually should be. There is a disconnect between what readers see a hero as, and what a professional hero is in the manga's world. Again, Horikoshi wasn't lying when he said that Stain would continue to be important. I'm just curious if Hori is actually going to make a concrete statement in the manga of what type of hero is actually better, but I assume he won't and will make some compromise.

8. Leoat12

Leoat12 Registered User

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Brazil
    Who is Miura? I will never remember the names of all characters after one chapter, Robo is special because they really said his name a lot of times. hahaha
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 21, 2017 ---
    I don't buy this excuse that he is still developing as a hero, everybody in the story seems to be more reasonable.

9. Mammo

Mammo Registered User

Holy Britannian Empire
    I was catching up with some titles on Jump Plus

Kanata no Astra kids are already on the 4th planet, when the manga started they said it will take them 5 planet to return home, how long will this last? they introduced a new ship and an astronaut so I guess they can keep exploring this subplot for a while

Fire Punch is in its last stretch too and so is Karada Sagashi

KnB prequel have adapted 3 out of the 6 novels so judging by the pace it needs 6 more volumes to finish, it's going to be hilarious if this somehow outlives RxL

and yeah, the new manga Shuukyoku Engage is being set up to replace Fire Punch is the shock-factor manga

while the first chapter has its shocking moments it doesn't measure up to the impact of Fire Punch first chapter imo, so we will see how it does

10. Kadir0

Kadir0 Registered User

The Wall
    The thing with the mindset of ''Act without a second thought and save a life even if it triggers the deaths of many'' is that, it's a double edged sword, if this was a seinen manga, the main character would have definitely fallen in a situation were he'd have caused a tragedy of many.

But this is a shounen, one way or another main character will choose that mindset and still get away with it smoothly, because our hero is a kid that wants to become a superhero in a shounen magazine, and the author will never create such predicament situation where the kid would have a blood on his hands. And that's why i don't take too seriously of this conflicts, at the end of the day, main character will stick to his mindset and prove to everyone that his way is right.

11. tirakai

tirakai Registered User

United Kingdom
    I've been reading the english chapters which I think are 1.5 behind but I feel like the journey home might only part one, there's clearly some sort of big conspiracy going on and I get a strong impression that things aren't just going to be all nice and happy once they get back (perhaps with it doing the same thing as Neverland is planned for and switching genres once their first goal is accomplished). There's certainly a chance that it's only planned for 50 chapters or something and getting back home is the final goal but I can see it going a lot longer.

12. Scruffy8642

Scruffy8642 Registered User

Australia
    Did Astra turn out to be any good? Ive always been interested because of the author, and it sounds interesting but I never bothered to read it.

13. tirakai

tirakai Registered User

United Kingdom
    I'm really enjoying it, the cast is pretty fun and designs of all the different worlds they're going are creative and interesting.

The drama can be a bit soap opera-y at times but if you liked Sket Dance that shouldn't bother you (plus it's an entertaining kind of over the top drama anyway).

14. Kave

Kave Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Thailand
    Estimated (17d)

*58,830 Kuroko no Basuke: Replace Plus 6
    *47,916 Fire Punch 4
    *44,100 Shokugeki no Souma: L'étoile 4
    *40,232 Let's! Haikyuu!? 4
    *37,926 Samon-kun wa Summoner 8
    *37,839 Karada Sagashi 12
    *22,161 Isobe Isobee Monogatari 13
    *20,358 Akuma no Memumemu-chan 2
    *12,799 Makui no Rease 1

Memumemu and Firepunch doing pretty well
    Samon sales keep getting worse

Kadir0 likes this.
  15. SkerllyFC

SkerllyFC Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

Dominican Republic
    Is it me, or women can write better shonen series than men? I´m watching Blue Exorcist, and even when the series is less action and more talking, what impresses me are the worldbuilding sorrounding the religions and demons, the character interactions and backstories, and drama. All of this makes any fight in the series have the weight and tension it needs to be compelling. This is something that the average shonen written by men forgets, to make the reasons behind the fights to be compelling and undestandable, instead of concentrating on making the fights compelling by the use of powers or techniques. It´s said that for a fight to be a true good one, it needs a well developed motivation to happen. There´s also FMA and Inuyasha, who also put more attention to worldbuilding and characters rather than the fights. What´s your opinion about this topic? And would you see more women writing shonen series on Jump? And which female author from Jump you think is writing a good shonen?

justanotherone and Mawara like this.
  16. Koi Kage

Koi Kage Registered User

United States
    I don't really feel one way or the other in regards to who is better so long as the story is interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing more women writing for Jump.

I know that Blue Exorsist is a shounen but to me it reads more like a Seinen series I think that's the reason it has better writing then a lot of other shounen out there.

17. Scruffy8642

Scruffy8642 Registered User

Australia
    It's not quite that simple I think. It does seem like female authors don't fall into the trap of using as many tropes as your average series does. Their series seem to be more structured in general. But it could also be that there aren't as many female mangaka, so the ones we do know about are the ones that have earned their popularity. Furudate and Gotouge seem to be doing a pretty damn good job for themselves though. You can't say males can't write as well though.

On Blue Exorcist, while it has done a great job at building it's world and characters, it hasn't done a whole lot with them considering how long the series has been going on for. That's something most anime only watchers don't realise. There has only really been like 1 big event that's occured since the arc covered in the second season finished and it's been like 50-60 chapters (>4 years). Imo the series has only really had 2 arcs that seem to push the story forward, which some series have within their first year of serialisation... It's like the series constantly builds itself, but never climaxes. Absolutely snail-pace pacing, one of the most noticeable of any series i've read. Comparing it to other monthly series of a similar length just makes me think what the hell has the author been doing this entire time? It has been incredibly disappointing for me in that regard. Not bad by any means, just a complete waste of it's own potential and it's like grinding teeth reading it.

18. G_I_A

G_I_A Banned

Brazil
    I couldn't care less about what a mangaka have between his/her legs... I want good stories.

Kanane, Kadir0 and Rica_Patin like this.
  19. ChocoBar9

ChocoBar9 Registered User

United States
    [​IMG]
    Katou outright sucks at pacing and making an engaging conflict with her characters because its obvious that she does not plan her story arcs or has a really bad editor. The Kyoto arc in particular is the apex of her own incompetency because it doesn't get remotely watchable/readable until the latter half but by then the characters who were clogging up screentime wind up amounting to absolutely nothing making you wonder why did she focus so much on them? Her character writing is also all over the place where her side characters wind up being more interesting than her main cast but you barely get any time with them to care. You couldn't have picked a worse example.

Scruffy8642 likes this.
  20. Mammo

Mammo Registered User

Holy Britannian Empire
    there are good writers and bad writers in both gender
    for every Tanabe Yellow there's an Akira Amano

I don't think Blue Exorcist, DGM, Rinne are all that good
    I like Magi and Tsubasa Chronicle but I know that a lot of people have problem with them
    bad male writers stand out more cause there are more of them

it's fine, nothing too special just like tirakai said, the characters' interactions carries the series
    the manga is trying to do the NGE thing where the setting is a background decoration and the real hook is the charchters mental struggle
    however it's not doing a good job at it and it comes out silly, every characters have daddy or mommy issue
    and the parents are comicbooks' villains' evil

ChocoBar9 and Scruffy8642 like this.