Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Not sure if my favorites just first 3 I can think of

Pop (Dragon Quest) Kojiro (Captain Tsubasa) L (Death Note)

honorable mentions: everyone in the main cast of Hinomaru Zumo
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Bakugou (MHA), Oikawa (Haikyuu) & Starjun (Toriko).
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Just finished reading Stealth Symphony and damn am I annoyed that it was axed. I read it from start to finish throughout today and I enjoyed every bit of it. It gave me Kekkai Sensen vibes with the whole futuristic city with all different races living together and super powers. Definitely seemed like something Bones would have adapted. Anyone have any theories as to why it was axed so early? It didn't really feel like a WSJ manga but I have a feeling it could have survived and done well in another more lenient magazine. The art was great and the story was captivating as well. That ending got me good. Thoughts on SS?

Also, I'll probably read ST&RS next, so any heads up about it will be appreciated.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just finished reading Stealth Symphony and damn am I annoyed that it was axed. I read it from start to finish throughout today and I enjoyed every bit of it. It gave me Kekkai Sensen vibes with the whole futuristic city with all different races living together and super powers. Definitely seemed like something Bones would have adapted. Anyone have any theories as to why it was axed so early? It didn't really feel like a WSJ manga but I have a feeling it could have survived and done well in another more lenient magazine. The art was great and the story was captivating as well. That ending got me good. Thoughts on SS?

Also, I'll probably read ST&RS next, so any heads up about it will be appreciated.
Paging Sharkbait.....
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It was axed because it was boring with nothing interesting happening with the story or characters until the end (which almost certainly only happened because it was getting cancelled).

Having potential in the setting doesn't matter if you do nothing with it, everything in jump has some cool thing to the setting with a lot of potential (if it didn't they wouldn't have put it in the magazine).
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bakugo. That's really it. He's such an entertaining character and it's even more satisfying since he changed from being an unlikable asshole in the beginning to the most popular character in the manga.
I actually like Bakugo more when he was still somewhat of a jerk the character that he's turned into reminds me to much of Sasuke. Ever since his character shift he's, to me at least, became way to moody it's as if he lost the fire he once had.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Just finished reading Stealth Symphony and damn am I annoyed that it was axed. I read it from start to finish throughout today and I enjoyed every bit of it. It gave me Kekkai Sensen vibes with the whole futuristic city with all different races living together and super powers. Definitely seemed like something Bones would have adapted. Anyone have any theories as to why it was axed so early? It didn't really feel like a WSJ manga but I have a feeling it could have survived and done well in another more lenient magazine. The art was great and the story was captivating as well. That ending got me good. Thoughts on SS?

Also, I'll probably read ST&RS next, so any heads up about it will be appreciated.
Many members here have articles published about this manga and all of them seems to agree that it was boring and uninteresting. That's the theory. Glad to help. :D
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Viz are giving Astra Lost in Space a physical release. I did not expect that.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Oikawa (Haikyuu!!), Niizuma Eiji (Bakuman) and Yuno (Black Clover).

I love the way Yuno likes Asta and treats him from equal to equal, and not like "hurr I'm the bestest, you're just a loser", but with respect and admiration.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Neverland and Astra Lost in Space will be released in digital and physical volumes. Naruto: Chibi Sasuke’s Sharingan Legend from Saikyou Jump is also getting this treatment.

eIDLIVE and The Emperor & I are also getting digital-only volume releases.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The time has come to decide if I pick english or japanese version of The Promised Neverland. It is a matter of cover design, really. XD
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'm not too surprised at Astra getting a physical english release, it definitely feels like it's the biggest series on their digital site by quite a lot. It gets top billing alongside DB Super and Bort when they advertise the digital site in the main magazine.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
also eldlive and emperor getting digital only releases isn't that surprising considering both are full color manga
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Astra gets one yet Sket Dance isn't <_>.

Question but what is the JPN name for the penguin manga? Or which magazine is it from? How's the sale in JPN? This is probably the only series I will buy digital .

Pretty alright, ~5000 sales.

edit: Thank you
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Digital first with Neverland? So... That's just the digital release date? It doesn't really bother me since I have all the ESJ issues that feature Neverland anyway, but I did want to know the physical release date.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Digital first with Neverland? So... That's just the digital release date? It doesn't really bother me since I have all the ESJ issues that feature Neverland anyway, but I did want to know the physical release date.
Usually they're no more than a month or so apart.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Astra gets one yet Sket Dance isn't <_>.

Question but what is the JPN name for the penguin manga? Or which magazine is it from? How's the sale in JPN? This is probably the only series I will buy digital .
Emperor to Issho, in Jump+.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Usually they're no more than a month or so apart.
It took one year to release Nisekoi as physical edition though. I remember well of those times. XD
I was young and still didn't work, I had to save my allowance to buy the first volume on January 2014 because importing manga is not cheap... Never underestimate my love for Nisekoi. XD
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Lol I did not realize you guys viewed it so negatively, suddenly I'm questioning my own tastes :3c
On that note, what did you guys think of Mitsukubi Condor? I've read the chapters that have been released up until now (I think there is only one left), and I've enjoyed it a good amount. I like the premise of thieves and having a sort of early Fairy Tail Natsu and Lucy camaraderie vibe going on. Marshmellow's design is interesting to say the least. Of course, as with most axed Jump manga, if it was in the hands of a better writer it could have been great, but I feel like this one was more _unique_ than other axed manga like, recently, Red Sprite and Demon's Plan.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Fuck off with digital only releases. They've joined the guild of psychopaths like Kodansha USA
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top