- Joined
- Aug 5, 2016
- Messages
- 3,330
- Reaction score
- 5,440
- Age
- 33
- Country
-
When does the first issue of Jump Giga release?
April 28thWhen does the first issue of Jump Giga release?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
To be fair One Piece is a phenomenon that may never happen again. Jump needs to understand that not everything can live up to One Piece and I believe they know that.Only Luffy has the merits to have this honor right now in Jump.
I agree with you. If they were going to replicate the same celebration Naruto would be there again because there is no way that any other Jump manga apart from One Piece has contributed more to the magazine since 2008. They should just do a group celebration considering how the magazine has so many new series that haven't made a name for themselves yet.All manga right now in Jump, with the exception of One Piece, didn't contribute much to the history of the magazine, they are too young, Haikyuu is the only one with more than 5 years? They will have to design the commemoration another way then because a trophy simbolizes merit, a long effort and contribution to the magazine, it simbolizes the contributions that was made in the past to reach this age. Therefore, I think that they should do something different, focused on the future, then a lot of mangas in Jump can appear. Got it the nuance?
Another thing we have to understand is what is an adaptation that IS STILL BASED ON THE SOURCE MATERIAL, and what is a LOOSE one.Regarding the topic with Adaptions-
It's difficult. The Dom, an Internet-critic for Book->Movie adaptions(his videos are fittingly called "Lost in Adaptation") said several times, that a good adaption doesnt mean it overall a good product(which was already said in this thread, I know). Sometimes something which worked in the original media, doesnt have to work in its adaptation(That's also a reason why there are so many bad video-game movies. Because video games are supposed to be PLAYED, not watched!). For example, in books many thoughts & character-development happen in the head of the protagonist, something which doesnt really work in a movie. In Manga and Anime it's a little bit trickier, because they are quite similiar already. Ironically, I know an instant of a change, it happened in the first season of Attack on Titan. When Annie Leonhart got "unmasked", without spoiling too much, her reaction was a creepy smile in the manga. In the anime it was changed into a hysteric laughing fit, where she blushed. isayama himself ordered this change, so far I know, because he wanted her to portray more "human"- His opinion was, her reaction in the manga was too one-dimensional. Which I get. Still bothered me, because it was out-of-character and just... weird.
In the end, I wouldnt demonize changes, if necessary because it's another media, or if it's actual improvement to the source material. But there we also have to accept, that there will be endless discussions, when something is an improvement and what not.
There is going to be a big problem that's going to arise once One Piece ends and we all know it. One Piece is the last of a dying breed and once it's gone the manga industry will inevitably slowly receded back into relative obscurity again unless Jump decides to milk every last drop out of One Piece as a series, which I really hope they don't there already doing that with Boruto and at least the way I've interpreted how some fans of the original feel about it it's not going to last as long as the original. Yes I know it's only for making money that Jump will do that but they should just let the series die in peace placing to many eggs in the basket will only cause ruin in the long run.
This is why I take sales numbers with a grain of salt these days.
One Piece entered Guinness Record with 320 million printed worldwide as of December 2014. I would assume these numbers are provided by Shuiesha themselves.This is why I take sales numbers with a grain of salt these days.
In November 2013 the One Piece manga had 345 million in print worldwide: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...lion-copies-in-print-worldwide?ann-edition=uk
That was three and a half years ago and it must have been accurate for it to come from viz and be advertised in the New York Times. This means One Piece has been massively overestimated until now because there has been three full oricon years since then and who knows how much it sold outside of Japan yet it went up by 5 million. What?
So you're comparing a ton, and by a ton I'm really talking of a ton, of series with bad pacing, with one series that you think has bad pacing. Also note that having parts badly paced is different than having bad pacing throughout. Pacing is not a constant in an entire series.Say it to One Piece and its bad pace.
Maybe my experience watching animes is too small for your almost divine knowledge, but I dare to say that we are better without long animes.
What has your love for the original series and familiarity has anything to do with the adaptation and its change? If you're a person that doesn't like change in the things that you love, that just makes you a person that doesn't like change. It has nothing to do with going against what an adaptation is. What you feel about something has nothing to do with that thing contradicting itself or not.I agree with you on the 12-24 episode thing almost completely, but your opinion on the 1999 series of HXH is subjective. I for one do not believe that changing characterization in a series really makes it "better". Though for the sake of argument, lets say that it did, isn't that a fallacy of an adapation? I mean if for example, your favorite manga got an anime, and then when the anime premiered the characters acted way differently than in the manga that you've gotten used to and love, wouldn't you on some level be a bit disappointed? That's how I feel toward 1999 HXH. It mishandled the the characters and made what was unique very generic and shallow. While I admit I used to hate on 1999 wholesale, I will give it credit that it had much more inspired direction, somewhat better music (I love OP 2 for the TV 1999 run), although what it had in that it lacked in artistic consistency. Some episodes looked great while others looked terrible. 2011 had this too, but to a lesser extent. Fair enough that animation techniques have come a long way since then, but still. I can't forgive the missteps that the 1999 anime had with the character development/treatment, so that's why it'll always be the lesser adaption in my opinion. Why should I settle for a show that's sorta like HXH: The manga in some some ways, when I want to watch something that's closer to the original manga I liked? That's not to say I want something that's 1:1 for every frame, because even Gintama which is a pretty faithful adaption made some changes that did enhance the anime adaption, however it seemed to me that the staff of that had a pretty tacit understanding of how the characters and world of the series tick in opposition to HXH's first adaption that sorta just did it's own thing and by doing so killed a lot of the uniqueness that the manga had. So while you enjoyed it more, and that's totally fine, going in a different direction from the source material is cool if you do it right, which 1999 did not. I basically agree with the sentiment that both adaptions had flaws, but at the very least --tonally inconsistent or not, I feel like 2011 was at least a bit more unique.
And the stuff about Nanika and Mr. Gon or whatever aren't really the fault of 2011 as much as it is Togashi. Even if Furuhashi (who has ruined more than one adaption, lbr.) had somehow been contacted to keep directing stuff after yorkshin, he would have had to follow the same outline as the manga, so you can't say 2011 did a bad job with that when all they did was adapt what was given to them. Also why does no one include the OVA's as a part of the 1999 series? Or are you ? If so, I apologize for assuming things, but it feels like people only talk about the TV run which is only a part of that set of HXH episodes, and if we're gonna compare we should compare everything.
I understand what your saying but where did viz media get 345 million as of November 2013 from?One Piece entered Guinness Record with 320 million printed worldwide as of December 2014. I would assume these numbers are provided by Shuiesha themselves.
One Piece on average every year it sold 12~15 million copies, so I would assume 350 million is not far off. Hopefully Shuiehsa will put one of those Japan print number on the newest One Piece volume.
There is certainly some mistranslation of mistake in this case. It also seem the same happened for the guinness world record.One Piece entered Guinness Record with 320 million printed worldwide as of December 2014. I would assume these numbers are provided by Shuiesha themselves.
One Piece on average every year it sold 12~15 million copies, so I would assume 350 million is not far off. Hopefully Shuiehsa will put one of those Japan print number on the newest One Piece volume.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
And that is why Tokyo Ghoul was such a failure ... Oh, you're wrong.Adaptations that mess with the original story is bad not only for people who already know the series and wants to watch his favorite scenes animated, but also for potential new readers. Bad adaptation with a lot of changes make people think that something is one way and when they buy the manga, they see that it is completely different and may not like the changes.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
It is!Not a Jump manga, but seriously, I still heard some people saying FMA 2003 is better than FMA brotherhood.
The original creator usually has at least some input, but it's still very possible for them to be ignored. I remember the author of Kumamiko basically said the anime ending was shit as politely as he could or something like that.Everyone keeps on mentioning changes made to how the source material is adapted in a way like the director, Series Composition, producer, etc have complete freedom. Besides the production committee's influence, any change made or any new material has to have the Original Creator, in this case the Mangaka, or at the least their editor's consent. I don't know how it works in Hollywood but Anime and the like make sure that the creator or editor is aware of everything change they plan to make as its originally their content that's being adapted into another format. All those fillers in Naruto, that toriko ending, all of those were done with at least the editor's approval. In addition, the editor-in-chief of Weekly shonen jump is also in the know. If you look at the credits, you'll see under planning ( or 企画) that Shueisha, or other publishers, will have people listed at that almost always has the original work's editor. Heroaca has Monji, Horikoshi's current editor, as well as the editor-in-chief Heishi Yoshihisa and another Jump Editor, Oonishi Kohei, Gintama's former editor, all listed under "企画協力" or Planning cooperation. Even with HxH 2011, the current editor (at the time), Saitou Yuu (齊藤 優), for HxH was involved as you can see in the ending under the aforementioned label. They cannot change stuff as they please.
Its partially why I get irritated when people bash studios for "throwing out Ishida's Drafts!" or other similar things as if they didn't care about Ishida's input. Ishida, in some way, was aware of everything that was changed or could not be included and in some way or another, consented.