Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Not sure about other western forum communities but this has been common knowlege here from the beginning because of her twitter.
Well, this a TIL for me. I had no I idea the artist was a woman.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't know if people already posted this before but Demizu Posuka (the artist of The Promise of Neverland) is actually a woman. Most people assumed that it was a man but it's the other way around. That's interesting.

You can see that it's the same ideogram of her name in 1:50
The name plate you see in the video says Demizu, so yeah, it's a safe bet. She's very pretty.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I didn't know Yotsuba drew Neverland

get it? get it? because she has green hair,

praise me and tell me how funny I'm
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
but if I don't get praises from strangers on the internet who will praise me? friends and family?

*laughs to hide emotional scars*

anyhow back on topic....

I was thinking

let suppose Jump is ending Isobe, what out of these 2 gag manga would you rather replace it? SW#1 or Hungry Marie?

tbh, I think both are boring and not funny but if they're going to exist as "let's ends this issue on a happy note" type of series I don't think I would mind either of them existing
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Idk about SW getting that arrangement but there's no way Hungry Marie would
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
why not? you're saying HM isn't gag-ish enough?
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
but if I don't get praises from strangers on the internet who will praise me? friends and family?

*laughs to hide emotional scars*

anyhow back on topic....

I was thinking

let suppose Jump is ending Isobe, what out of these 2 gag manga would you rather replace it? SW#1 or Hungry Marie?

tbh, I think both are boring and not funny but if they're going to exist as "let's ends this issue on a happy note" type of series I don't think I would mind either of them existing
Saiki and Samon would fit much better tbh.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
HM I would label as a comedy series not "gag." It's definitely not in the same vein as Isobe or Our Hero Studies. It's a "normal" series with a standard page count unlike the other two. So it's not a real gag in that sense. Therefore I can't imagine it would get that kind of treatment. Not to mention it doesn't seem to be popular anyway. Gag series probably get more leeway but HM is going to be treated as any other failed series in Jump
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Saiki and Samon would fit much better tbh.
hmmm
Samon fits that list also as a comedy series that I don't find funny, but I don't know how much longer it will live
Same with Saiki, I feel like it might be ending after the live action movie hit the theater, maybe sooner

no point in giving them a special treatment

HM I would label as a comedy series not "gag." It's definitely not in the same vein as Isobe or Our Hero Studies. It's a "normal" series with a standard page count unlike the other two. So it's not a real gag in that sense. Therefore I can't imagine it would get that kind of treatment. Not to mention it doesn't seem to be popular anyway. Gag series probably get more leeway but HM is going to be treated as any other failed series in Jump
a reminder the Jump labeled Kubo and Bleach as a gag manga and a gag artist, and even made Kubo one of the judges for a gag manga contest

anything is possible
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Hungry Marie if I had to choose. Though I do think there are a lot of ways it could be improved. Mostly the characters. Compared to Beelzebub HM didn't do such a great job on establishing the characters' personalities. The comedy would probably flow a bit better if the MC could play straightman to the ridiculous events that go on around him. On that note I don't think the author is taking full advantage of the setting. He has a setting where supernaturally botched resurrection is possible and he is sticking to same old school tropes? Come on now.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Although SPN1 hasn't been translated past the Viz Jump Start I enjoy those 3 chapters of SW more than I enjoyed every chapter of HM
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
hmmm
Samon fits that list also as a comedy series that I don't find funny, but I don't know how much longer it will live
Same with Saiki, I feel like it might be ending after the live action movie hit the theater, maybe sooner

no point in giving them a special treatment
The amount of times I've chuckled in public while reading a Samon chapter and looked like a retard. I've enjoyed it as much as Saiki.

No way it'll be Marie. Despite how slow it is, it certainly seems it will be introducing a story if it survives. Spring Weapon does seem the logical choice.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Did y'all read this? https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/12/5/page/1

I'm legit starting to hope this series survives, like Rica said it's comfy lol. Tan line is best girl but I honestly like all of them, it might be the Nisekoi vibes I'm getting which keeps me entertained but I really could care less
I really like the manga. Certainly it has a bit of Nisekoi but for me the chapters and characters so far are much better than the initial chapters and characters..
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Just finished the Kuromori Climb one shot a enjoyed it a lot. Hope this gets picked up
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
WSJ Magazine Circulation: October~December -> January~March
2,005,833 -> 1,915,000
A drop of 90,833. Less than the July-Sept -> Oct-Dec drop of 145,834 mags but still a big drop.

WSM - 986,017 -> 964,158
WSS - 323,250 -> 319,667


From here: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5098037785
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
WSJ Magazine Circulation: October~December -> January~March
2,005,833 -> 1,915,000
A drop of 90,833. Less than the July-Sept -> Oct-Dec drop of 145,834 mags but still a big drop.

WSM - 986,017 -> 964,158
WSS - 323,250 -> 319,667


From here: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5098037785
Jeeez. Just gonna keep getting lower and lower :/
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Just finished the Kuromori Climb one shot a enjoyed it a lot. Hope this gets picked up
I liked it a lot too

French dude moving to Japan while being extremely racist towards Asian people make no sense tho

Jeeez. Just gonna keep getting lower and lower :/
that what happens when you cancel Demon's Plan
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Just pure speculation here what do you think is the problem here?

While I couldn't find the figures for 2005 and onwards it seems that from 1994 onwards Jump comics experienced a almost nonstop decline.

I am guessing here but I suspect it may be related to the advent of the internet age.

 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The two chapters published this week of "We Can't Learn" were pretty enjoyable, I think the series is developing well. Uruka learning English with swimming was good, it was a technique I learned as well, it easier to learn when you mix it with something you enjoy. After this, Ogata used that trick where she crossed the unnecessary phrases of the text. It is obvious for us that there are a lot of redundancy in language, but I honestly didn't know this trick. hahaha
It has been more interesting than I though it would be, I think the author is doing a great job despite being a series about studying, something that it is boring for the most part. XD
The development of the character is going well as well, but more than the relationship between boy and girl, it has a relationship between tutor and student so far.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top