Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
No it's not, the video is poorly research and he is missing a lots of facts.

He says One Piece is on a decline, his facts are the 2010 sales and 2016 sales (this is false), also he compares Nisekoi sale and MHA sale.

He claims Kochikame and Assassination Classroom got cancelled (this is also false)

His ranking is also false.

I didn't bother to watch the last 5 minutes when he talks about the 6 new series, because the other 70% are false facts.
He didn't say Kochikame and AssClass were canceled. If you paid attention, he said "canceled or concluded". Also, by ranking do you mean the top 10 ranking he got from averages? I'm too lazy to check that, but if you yourself had the time to check it then I can't really argue against it.

Really, the only things that bothered me were the misinformation of One Piece sales and the exclusion of Kimetsu and Yuuna from the average ranking. At first, I thought that he only included series that ran throughout the entirety of 2016, but Neverland was on the list. And it can't be because Kimetsu's average ranking was too low, because I myself checked awhile back and it was a 6 or 7 on average.
Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos are still pretty good, though. This was the only one I had some disagreements with, but his general idea that Jump is trying to move away from the old and towards a new generation seems to be true.

If you like these kinds of analytical videos though, I recommend you check out Aleczandxr. His Hunter x Hunter character analysis videos are outstanding. He's really underappreciated compared to SEW, so I highly advise you guys check him out.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
He didn't say Kochikame and AssClass were canceled. If you paid attention, he said "canceled or concluded". Also, by ranking do you mean the top 10 ranking he got from averages? I'm too lazy to check that, but if you yourself had the time to check it then I can't really argue against it.

Really, the only things that bothered me were the misinformation of One Piece sales and the exclusion of Kimetsu and Yuuna from the average ranking. At first, I thought that he only included series that ran throughout the entirety of 2016, but Neverland was on the list. And it can't be because Kimetsu's average ranking was too low, because I myself checked awhile back and it was a 6 or 7 on average.
Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos are still pretty good, though. This was the only one I had some disagreements with, but his general idea that Jump is trying to move away from the old and towards a new generation seems to be true.

If you like these kinds of analytical videos though, I recommend you check out Aleczandxr. His Hunter x Hunter character analysis videos are outstanding. He's really underappreciated compared to SEW, so I highly advise you guys check him out.
I normally enjoy Eyepatch's videos, and I also kinda enjoyed this one, though I've had one or two question marks over my head watching this video.
But I also agree with Aleczandxr. He makes great videos, of which many are about Hunter x Hunter. Overall pretty neat content! Also a likeable guy on twitter.
I recommend his videos Youtube, Click
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
At least Eyepatch is accurate about the new series. Hungry Marie sucks!!!!!

But in other topics:

This season of MHA has been exciting visually and musically, and the action is on point. But I expected this sports festival to be more alive, to be more sportsy, to be more... tournament-y?

Look, even if I read the manga, I cannot avoid that this arc was limited on scope. Sure, this arc only matters for the main character, but Bones could've written more games for the festival, or more character development interactions, instead of being limited to "only what the manga has written".

I feel like they lost an opportunity there, and now that we're going to see various one-on-one fights, it would be a shame if instead of only using the fights that are in the manga, they show like 3 or 4 more fights. They have the director from Gundam Build Fighters, for god's sake.

Remember Naruto and Hunter x Hunter's exam arcs? I didn't beg for MHA's festival to be as large as those two arcs, but to have the same scope. Especially in Naruto, where even minor characters you wouldn't care about got on-screen fights.

It's something that I expect for the next chapters, but it's difficult to happen. Are you calling me heretic for begging this? Even ThatAnimeSnob, of whom I despise his anime hate boner, agrees with me.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Look, even if I read the manga, I cannot avoid that this arc was limited on scope. Sure, this arc only matters for the main character, but Bones could've written more games for the festival, or more character development interactions, instead of being limited to "only what the manga has written".
As I said before, adding in new games would not make any sense. Those added games would have to not kick-out any contestant, meaning they would be redundant.

Also, Bones literally added in new character interactions in this episode. The scene of Kendou and Monoma was completely anime original, and I think it transitions his character well into what he has become in the manga.

Your complaint about scope is valid if that's what you're into(although nothing that the anime can do about). Personally, I like Horikoshi's writing style of being pretty concise and to-the-point, but I understand that others appreciate a grander scale more so.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: TM2

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,330
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The sports festival arc lasts 23 chapters, that's already a good length for the first 50 chapters of a weekly manga. The anime feels slow enough as it is with Bones adapting at about 2 chapters per ep average, adding a couple extra rounds would just make it feel needlessly padded (especially since like said above they'd be a waste of time since they can't actually change anything with them).

Adding extra rounds kind of works for something like HxH where the exam is meant to be some massive life-defining multi-day event but the Sports Festival is just a short showcase of the school's talent, it's not supposed to last for ages.

Also the stuff past the sports festival is great, would you really want the Stain arc to be pushed back an extra 5-6 episodes just for some filler?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I like how Eyepatch praised Dr. Stone and The Promised Neverland while also shitting on Hungry Marie. At the very least, he has good taste.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
He left out Strong World's effect on OP's sales. That is the biggest indicator of his ignorance. He also didn't look at the dropping print numbers of Manga magazines as a whole. While he may have mentioned Sunday and Magazine, he didn't show the difference in print numbers. Jump is almost double Magazine in print numbers and almost 6 times as much as Sunday. This is the big problem I have with these youtubers. They don't do look into the japanese side where all this information comes from. Just looking through the Geocities links of Jump itself will tell you that right now, Jump is doing very well but if you compare to its Golden age or even 10 years, of course it will look disastrous. Thats what all the trolls on 2ch, yaraon, etc do. They look at a lot of this in isolation and start bashing the magazines' editors and their respective series.


In other news, Heroaca is currently on a meteoric rise in the sales rankings of various retailers. It jumped back into the top 20 yesterday in Tsutaya's daily ranking and is at #16 as of today (Saturday). Its in similar places in Honto's ranking as well.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Yeah lol, didn't seem like he was afraid of triggering the Beelzebub fans. He really didn't hold back on criticizing it, which was nice to see.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Adding extra rounds kind of works for something like HxH where the exam is meant to be some massive life-defining multi-day event but the Sports Festival is just a short showcase of the school's talent, it's not supposed to last for ages.
It's not supposed to last forever, but when you read the manga and complain that some characters needed their on-screen fights and screentime, it's a welcomed addition to have more fights, and it could work by showing some characters' backstory and why did they enlisted on U.A academy to begin with. It's you who don't see how they could do it well. It's gonna be a waste for the director of Gundam Build Fighters. And don't tell me it's an insult to Horikoshi and his audience. An insult is to have your 1st 2nd season chapter be a recap that we saw the previous week.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight it's another series where I think having more fights would help at least to comprehend how fights are organizaed, or more creative ways for how to use magic there. But of course, let's stay limited with what the source material has. Bummer.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
That guy's youtube video essentially said nothing. He just looked at data and said it without looking at the reasons behind any of it, what it meant, or even learning about the series he was talking about... he spoke about rankings, but not how those series compare in volume sales? Honestly seemed he knew nothing about Jump. Just did an hour or so of research then made the video, which is probably exactly what happened. Dr Stone... Fresh...? Pft. Read more pls.

Look, even if I read the manga, I cannot avoid that this arc was limited on scope. Sure, this arc only matters for the main character, but Bones could've written more games for the festival, or more character development interactions, instead of being limited to "only what the manga has written".

I feel like they lost an opportunity there, and now that we're going to see various one-on-one fights, it would be a shame if instead of only using the fights that are in the manga, they show like 3 or 4 more fights. They have the director from Gundam Build Fighters, for god's sake.

Remember Naruto and Hunter x Hunter's exam arcs? I didn't beg for MHA's festival to be as large as those two arcs, but to have the same scope. Especially in Naruto, where even minor characters you wouldn't care about got on-screen fights.

It's something that I expect for the next chapters, but it's difficult to happen. Are you calling me heretic for begging this? Even ThatAnimeSnob, of whom I despise his anime hate boner, agrees with me.
The biggest problem with this is that all the characters with big parts in the future are explored. So if they focus on the characters that do nothing in the future, theyre going to have to continue doing that for future arcs (or whats the point in doing it in the first place) and we'll end up with a shiton of unnecessary and awkward filler theyve tried to place somewhere that fits in the storyline. Maybe they could pull it off if it was long running, but you just cant do that with such short seasons. It would actually be nice to see spme of the third year festival, but at the same time it would kill the introduction they have later on. Not to mention slowing it down anymore may be detrimental considering the backlash from S1.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Not to mention slowing it down anymore may be detrimental considering the backlash from S1.
What happened with season 1 was 1 manga chapter per episode and not filling dead time with something interesting. What I suggest is filling what could be dead time with something interesting. But you think I say "Fill dead time with fluff", which is what Filler truly means, and not non-canon content, which is how we "call" filler,
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I agree with the majority said about the video

it's flawed and not researched enough

he didn't even mention the possibility that digital sales may have affected physical sales
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
What happened with season 1 was 1 manga chapter per episode and not filling dead time with something interesting. What I suggest is filling what could be dead time with something interesting. But you think I say "Fill dead time with fluff", which is what Filler truly means, and not non-canon content, which is how we "call" filler,
People say this, but its incorrect. Aside from the blunder that was the first 2 eps covering 1 chapter, the other 11 covered 20 chapters. Take into account some earlier ones had extra pages + lots of info dumps and world building and it was pretty much spot on for 2chs an ep, which is exactly what this season is doing pace-wise...

Okay, sorry I said filler. But I am just worried how adding "non-canon content" will affect the continuitiy of the anime and whether it'll even be worth watching. Whats the point of exploring characters they do nothing in the story again? If Horikoshi writes it, then sure, but I cant think of any big examples where an animation studio has managed to make great content that improves the adaptation by dping this. Chances are they'd totally screw it, or maybe I just have no faith. Id actually like to know what anime you think succeeded in doing so?
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
At least Eyepatch is accurate about the new series. Hungry Marie sucks!!!!!

But in other topics:

This season of MHA has been exciting visually and musically, and the action is on point. But I expected this sports festival to be more alive, to be more sportsy, to be more... tournament-y?

Look, even if I read the manga, I cannot avoid that this arc was limited on scope. Sure, this arc only matters for the main character, but Bones could've written more games for the festival, or more character development interactions, instead of being limited to "only what the manga has written".

I feel like they lost an opportunity there, and now that we're going to see various one-on-one fights, it would be a shame if instead of only using the fights that are in the manga, they show like 3 or 4 more fights. They have the director from Gundam Build Fighters, for god's sake.

Remember Naruto and Hunter x Hunter's exam arcs? I didn't beg for MHA's festival to be as large as those two arcs, but to have the same scope. Especially in Naruto, where even minor characters you wouldn't care about got on-screen fights.
I do understand what you say, and I get it, but at the same time, I want this arc to reach its end. The best thing from this tournament was Todoroki's backstory(which was the point, where I've started to like this manga) and I also want to see the Stain Arc. The benefit of having more interactions & moments would definitely explore more the character depths of the whole class, something which Horikoshi seems to struggle with.
It's difficult.
It's something that I expect for the next chapters, but it's difficult to happen. Are you calling me heretic for begging this? Even ThatAnimeSnob, of whom I despise his anime hate boner, agrees with me.
Never head of that guy before.
 

Support

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 2, 2017
Messages
10
Reaction score
9
Age
38
Country
United Kingdom
I like the video because of how he briefly reviewed some of the manga series and i agreed with most of his analysis on them. I'm less harsh on hungry marie though because I felt it had some more natural charm than others such as Poro which felt a bit try-hard with its cutesy graphics. I was pretty disappointed that he didn't mention kimetsu either and wanted to hear his thoughts on it.

As for his research into Jumps future? I dunno much about that topic tbh and am frankly not as interested. I think he's better and more experienced at deep analysis of series than anything else. I especially like his bleach and dragon ball videos and his voice is super soothing compared to all the loud youtubers out there.

Admittedly I didnt do my own research on his sources, cos the only thing I follow is the toc rankings...and also general disinterest in the topic. I heard so much on Jump's future and analysis that it all pretty much blurs together for me. All i know is:

-Jump is selling less physical copies
-its a different manga world now with a different way to analyse success
-Take everything with a pinch of salt

All in all its a pretty video, with subjectively good taste, I'm kind of hoping he would continue analysing all the new jump manga, maybe staying away from "facts" from now on

you guys should totally comment on his videos/send him a message though if you think he's wrong on some/all things, he seems like a chilled guy who would put up a disclaimer or something. I think he's the kind of youtuber who would take his videos seriously enough to do that.

Thanks for the random comment that I'm shilling my own video though, i would love to be motivated and talented enough to do that kind of thing

Also I'm definitely checking out Aleczandxr's videos. Sounds like my kind of thing even though I'm kind of over hunterxhunter right now until the hiatus ends again. Such is the life of a hxh fan.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
I really like the videos that super eyepatch wolf makes, the latest one is on shonen jump and I think is worth a watch:

So from:
  • Total OP sale dropped since 2010
  • Couple old, established series ended in 2016
  • 6 new series started recently
he somehow came to the conclusion that "JUMP is purposely ending old series in order to find new series that sell even bigger"? How do you not think that new series are in response of the old series ending, not the other way around.
It's pretty funny even if we consider his ignorance about Strong World bump.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
So from:
  • Total OP sale dropped since 2010
  • Couple old, established series ended in 2016
  • 6 new series started recently
he somehow came to the conclusion that "JUMP is purposely ending old series in order to find new series that sell even bigger"? How do you not think that new series are in response of the old series ending, not the other way around.
It's pretty funny even if we consider his ignorance about Strong World bump.
Well I do agree that Jump is seriously trying to rebrand the magazine with new big sellers. However Assassination Class, and Kochikame clearly ended on their own terms.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
It's pretty funny even if we consider his ignorance about Strong World bump.
He actually replied to that on twitter. He said that he saw a lot of people bring it up, but that it doesn't change the fact that there is a decline. His point was not misinformation, but I don't think he understands how important context is when trying to make these points.

Another thing I don't quite understand is his viewpoint on the rankings. He lists the top 10(which is already really iffy), then proceeds to mention that we don't know how accurate the placements in the ToC are to the amount of votes. If his argument is based on the desire of the editorial department, then why only mention the sales of One Piece? Why not make a comparison between the rankings of the series in the magazine, and the sales of those series. I don't exactly know where he was going with that.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
He actually replied to that on twitter. He said that he saw a lot of people bring it up, but that it doesn't change the fact that there is a decline. His point was not misinformation, but I don't think he understands how important context is when trying to make these points.
I mean, it doesn't make sense cause he's saying the WSJ editors are making decisions based on the sales drop, when any competent editor knows that it's not an actual decline, but a temporary bump that stabilized to a higher point than before the peak happened.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
See how the silence was better than people talking about whatever subject here? Now they are again talking about video from people who don't deserve our attention. People are playing in their hands, talking about it and giving them views.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top