Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Why do people love Toriyama's art so much? Sure, I loved Dragon Ball Z as a kid, and I thought everything looked cool with the fights having beams flying everywhere and people yelling the whole damn time, but the art doesn't seem all the great except for being very distinct. Is it just nostalgia and the fact that it's so distinctive? If so then why isn't Isobe's mangaka on top?

Anyway, my personal rankings would be:
  1. Hori, Kubo
  2. Obata, Oda
  3. Togashi, Murata, Shimabu
I would but Shimabu higher up for his outstanding creature designs alone, but his character designs themselves were pretty mediocre.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Why do people love Toriyama's art so much? Sure, I loved Dragon Ball Z as a kid, and I thought everything looked cool with the fights having beams flying everywhere and people yelling the whole damn time, but the art doesn't seem all the great except for being very distinct. Is it just nostalgia and the fact that it's so distinctive? If so then why isn't Isobe's mangaka on top?

Anyway, my personal rankings would be:
  1. Hori, Kubo
  2. Obata, Oda
  3. Togashi, Murata, Shimabu
I would but Shimabu higher up for his outstanding creature designs alone, but his character designs themselves were pretty mediocre.
Having a distinct art style is one of the most important aspects of being a comic/manga artist in my opinion.
You could be the most technically skilled artist in the industry, but if you don't have a distinct and recognizable style you won't stand out.

Toriyama will always be a top manga artist for me, simply because he has one of the most recognizable and iconic illustration styles in not only manga history, by comic book history in general.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Eyepatch's videos usually be on point though, I don't mind dude. That fall of Bleach one was pretty wild to see what a true decline looked like. But giving misinformation (or not researched information) without a warning that I might be wrong isn't right either. I'll be weary of that for now.

On DBZ it's funny how much shit they got away with. Like we were kids and thought Goku being revived was the most amazing thing. Lowkey it was pretty phoney lol but I still like it all in retrospect. Super's legit only problem is their wonkier power scaling compared to DBZ. On Toriyama's designs, they're still wacky as ever....

Why is a god of destruction a clown? Wut lol. Dragon Ball the only series to get away with so many things that would be chided
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Eyepatch's videos usually be on point though, I don't mind dude. That fall of Bleach one was pretty wild to see what a true decline looked like. But giving misinformation (or not researched information) without a warning that I might be wrong isn't right either. I'll be weary of that for now.

On DBZ it's funny how much shit they got away with. Like we were kids and thought Goku being revived was the most amazing thing. Lowkey it was pretty phoney lol but I still like it all in retrospect. Super's legit only problem is their wonkier power scaling compared to DBZ. On Toriyama's designs, they're still wacky as ever....

Why is a god of destruction a clown? Wut lol. Dragon Ball the only series to get away with so many things that would be chided
Part of me likes that Goku and Vegeta seems to nerfed a bit(idk if they're quietly retconning the power scale).

But a big negative for me with DBZ was that the human characters fell so far behind that they basically became extras. So I'm glad that we get to see them in action again.


But I'll sto there, since I don't think this is really the place to discuss DBS
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Top 3 for me
Yusuke Murata
Akira Toriyama
Kentaro Yabuki
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Is eyepatch the guy who conspicuously made his fall of bleach video days after I went through all of bleach's rankings and shared its decline?
If so, he doesn't even do his own research. Just repackages others.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
1. Inoue
2. Shimabu
3. Oda
Why do people love Toriyama's art so much? Sure, I loved Dragon Ball Z as a kid, and I thought everything looked cool with the fights having beams flying everywhere and people yelling the whole damn time, but the art doesn't seem all the great except for being very distinct. Is it just nostalgia and the fact that it's so distinctive? If so then why isn't Isobe's mangaka on top?

Anyway, my personal rankings would be:
  1. Hori, Kubo
  2. Obata, Oda
  3. Togashi, Murata, Shimabu
I would but Shimabu higher up for his outstanding creature designs alone, but his character designs themselves were pretty mediocre.
Weren't most of the creature designs from the fans? Sure he changed them up but they're not really his designs. The character designs arent mediocre. They can just be really ridiculous at times which honestly works in the series favor. His art has a lot of impact for me and I love the detail he has for character expressions for rage. Backgrounds/environments look top notch too.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
1. Inoue
2. Shimabu
3. Oda

Weren't most of the creature designs from the fans? Sure he changed them up but they're not really his designs. The character designs arent mediocre. They can just be really ridiculous at times which honestly works in the series favor. His art has a lot of impact for me and I love the detail he has for character expressions for rage. Backgrounds/environments look top notch too.
I know some of the designs were fan submitted, but I don't remember if most of them were. There were a lot of ingredients that were fan submitted if I remembered correctly though. Either way, he had a way of making the creatures look terrifying with the many details he added in. The Eight Kings are god tier.
About the character designs, what I meant by mediocre is that a lot of them had the same body build, with many having the same muscular build and facial structure. Really only their hair and facial distinguished one from the other. And don't even get me started on Rin's boring design and character in general. I agree wholeheartedly on the character expressions and background part though. I could really feel the passion and emotions of the fight (Toriko vs. Tommyrod was spectacular), and the double page spread in the final chapter showing Toriko fishing in the same spot as the first chapter was amazing.

Is eyepatch the guy who conspicuously made his fall of bleach video days after I went through all of bleach's rankings and shared its decline?
If so, he doesn't even do his own research. Just repackages others.
That's a pretty bold claim you're making.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
It's not a bold claim. His video came out days after I posted after text version on here and Reddit.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I would probably personally move Togashi up way higher, his writing is probably one of the best in this list. Would also move Kubo down, and Murata up just on art work alone. Surprise Amano is up there. I liked Reborn when I was in middle and some of high school, but it's nothing special artwise or storywise.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
It's not a bold claim. His video came out days after I posted after text version on here and Reddit.
As likely as that is, if eyepatch actually lurked in these threads, he wouldn't have posted such a bad Jump video. The only stuff he said about Bleach was that it should've ended at Soul Society and the art got lazier.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
As likely as that is, if eyepatch actually lurked in these threads, he wouldn't have posted such a bad Jump video. The only stuff he said about Bleach was that it should've ended at Soul Society and the art got lazier.
I posted it on Reddit as well and it got like 500 upvotes. I'm sure he saw it.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
I posted it on Reddit as well and it got like 500 upvotes. I'm sure he saw it.
500 upvotes isn't anything to sneeze at. The amount of detail in your reddit post dwarfs anything he said in his video and you take very different stances.
He didn't repackage your research, his videos don't contain anything resembling research.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
500 upvotes isn't anything to sneeze at. The amount of detail in your reddit post dwarfs anything he said in his video and you take very different stances.
He didn't repackage your research, his videos don't contain anything resembling research.
Maybe I'm confusing his video with somebody else's.
I know somebody made a video directly about rankings decline after I posted my research.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
Maybe I'm confusing his video with somebody else's.
I know somebody made a video directly about rankings decline after I posted my research.
You're thinking of the right guy. His video came literally the day after your post.

It's just his only mention of rankings was just an image ripped from the chart site and not your research.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Maybe I'm confusing his video with somebody else's.
I know somebody made a video directly about rankings decline after I posted my research.
Although his came out a day or two after your post, his video included a lot of original art work and drawing segments. As well as some decent photoshop and flash work(movement in the charts)
It's possible that he may have added stuff after your post, but I doubt he he scrambled to get the drawings made up, and the entire video edited and ready for upload in a matter of 1 or 2 days.

So it's likely a coincidence
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't believe in coincidences.
I do believe that the majority of /r/manga community are scum that helped ruin this thread after I made /r/JumpMag.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't believe in coincidences.
I do believe that the majority of /r/manga community are scum that helped ruin this thread after I made /r/JumpMag.
I mean. He could have possibly added details after seeing your post.
But watching the video, it was clearly probably worked on for a week or two. Especially the drawings. There's no way he could have put it together in just a day
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I mean. He could have possibly added details after seeing your post.
But watching the video, it was clearly probably worked on for a week or two. Especially the drawings. There's no way he could have put it together in just a day
Graphic design isn't as difficult or time consuming as you're assuming it is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top