Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Starting next Jump Issue

Yuragi sou no Yuuna san should be called Yuragi sou no Kagura san.

Robot x Laserbeam should be called Prince of Golf.

Dr.Stone should be called Civilization VII.
:derp
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Question in all seriousness: what does this have to do with Dr. Stone being a meh story or not? I don't see where the correlation is just because Boichi is a hard and dedicated worker with two ongoing serializations.
I wasn't attempting to argue quality (I feel the writers previous work does that), I was just stating a factoid.

But, assuming it was a statement on quality, having an actual scientist working on the series as a consultant is pretty interesting/cool. At the very least, the series is educational.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I wasn't attempting to argue quality (I feel the writers previous work does that), I was just stating a factoid.

But, assuming it was a statement on quality, having an actual scientist working on the series as a consultant is pretty interesting/cool. At the very least, the series is educational.
Don't know anything about Japan education, but the "scientific" stuffs so far are common high school knowledge, to me at least.

They could hire a former teacher instead of a fancy scientist and he/she will provide the same info, or just google it. There are videos on youtube that talks about history of gunpowder and its characteristic in less than 10 minutes.

Cooking, Pottery, Sulfuric Acid, Gunpowder can be research with a click of a button or they are in chemistry/history class. Or just play Civilization.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Sure, it is very educational teach people to make gun powder at home. XD
I predict a lot of "Don't do that at home".

The educational part doesn't save the series though, it has been kind of boring, a lot of text with information we will never use, whatever...
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
You don't need a scientist to help your series with the scientific stuff. Just research it on your own. The best example of this Toriko, Shimabu did his own research and Incorporated it into his series.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The educational part doesn't save the series though, it has been kind of boring, a lot of text with information we will never use, whatever...
It doesn't need to be saved, if the ToC is anything to go by. It's true the information presented so far isn't all that complex, but that could easily change as time goes by. But, I suspect the scientist working on this series is likely just fact-checking currently. It'll be interesting if he eventually has a larger role.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It doesn't need to be saved, if the ToC is anything to go by. It's true the information presented so far isn't all that complex, but that could easily change as time goes by. But, I suspect the scientist working on this series is likely just fact-checking currently. It'll be interesting if he eventually has a larger role.
The TOC doesn't change my opinion about the series and it is too early to say, the series only gets worse so the TOC can turn to the worse very easily.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Don't get why people think Dr.Stone is so terrible. I mean it has its problems, but I don't see anything offensively bad about it
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Besides the boring scientific stuff? The characters just aren't good either... Making an analogy with the all recreation of civilization thing, I would say that the civilization is in very very very bad hands. XD
We have a conceited guy who thinks will save humanity with high school level science, a girl with no substance at all and a retarded.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's just Black Clover all over again. Some people here just can't accept that a series that they don't like can be successfull. I'm also not particuarly thrilled by it, but its WORLDS better than all other new series.

I just checked Neverland raw and... I don't know, I hope they don't mess the series up with this new arc.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
While I don't think Dr. Stone is trash, I am a bit disappointed in it. Edgelord isn't that interesting as an antagonist and Taiju is pretty annoying as a character. At this point, the best thing about it is the art, but even that has some faults, like Yuzuriha's bug face, but that's gotten a bit better.

So far, I'm waiting to see if it will improve or not story wise. Eyeshield 21 didn't really have a strong start, but it gradually got better and better as the story progressed. Here's hoping Dr. Stone follows suit.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I like Dr Stone quite a bit so far but it feels like it's a bit rushed, sure quick arcs are the trend these days but it probably could've spent a bit more time building relationships and a rivalry before jumping right to the big antagonist confrontation (it's progressing almost like an early cancelled series does despite it being very clearly safe).

Also I noticed someone's translated Aharen-san from Jump+, it's definitely a fun series to read. I can see why it's always at the top of the rankings each week.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Ratings for this past week 5/8 to 5/14:

サザエさん フジテレビ '17/05/14(日) 18:30 - 30 10.8 (Sazae-san)
ドラえもん テレビ朝日 '17/05/12(金) 19:00 - 30 8.0 (Doraemon)
クレヨンしんちゃん テレビ朝日 '17/05/12(金) 19:30 - 24 8.0 (Crayon Shin-chan)
名探偵コナン 日本テレビ '17/05/13(土) 18:00 - 30 7.6 (Conan)
ワンピース フジテレビ '17/05/14(日) 9:30 - 30 7.0 (One Piece)
ちびまる子ちゃん フジテレビ '17/05/14(日) 18:00 - 30 7.0 (Chibi Maruko-chan)
ドラゴンボール超 フジテレビ '17/05/14(日) 9:00 - 30 5.6 (Dragon ball)
僕のヒーローアカデミア 日本テレビ '17/05/13(土) 17:30 - 30 3.4 (Heroaca)
アニメおさるのジョージ NHKEテレ '17/05/13(土) 8:35 - 25 3.3 (Curious George)
アニメひつじのショーン NHKEテレ '17/05/13(土) 9:00 - 20 3.2 (Shaun the Sheep)

Pokemon is once again out of the top 10.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Dr.Stone chapter was amazing. What the hell do people want?
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Don't get why people think Dr.Stone is so terrible. I mean it has its problems, but I don't see anything offensively bad about it
Don't get why people think Dr.Stone is so good. I mean it has its positives, but I don't see anything particularly good about it...

Ive already said how I feel about the series multiple times so wont repeat it. I'm judging the series thus far. It could imrpove and I hope it does, but that doesn't excuse itself from such a terrible start and calling it what it is. The latest chapter was an improvement at least.

Imo, Kill off Taiju + Yuzuriha + Tsukasa (75% of the cast....) and have Senkuu surviving on his own + facing problems= much better series. Hell, why didnt we see his first 6 months awake alone from the start. The series would likely be much more bareable if that had happened and he had been the MC. Then we followed him as he established himself and others woke up around him + plans he had set in place beforehand. We're supposed to believe Senkuu is incredibly smart, and aside his science knowledge, we havent seen any good scheming from him yet.

Sooo much more could have been done with this premise its not funny. Why go to the effort to make such a good one when you're just gonna chuck the most generic and bland characters people see in every shounen they read inside it?
 

randimari

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2017
Messages
105
Reaction score
248
Age
33
Country
United States
From what I've lurked on, I haven't seen anyone call Stone outright terrible. I've seen more "meh" than terrible. I believe it will get better once it gets to about 20-30 or so chapters in but the beginning has been a little dry imo. Senkuu is honestly the most interesting character and the only one worthwhile to care about so far.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Don't get why people think Dr.Stone is so good. I mean it has its positives, but I don't see anything particularly good about it...

Ive already said how I feel about the series multiple times so wont repeat it. I'm judging the series thus far. It could imrpove and I hope it does, but that doesn't excuse itself from such a terrible start and calling it what it is. The latest chapter was an improvement at least.

Imo, Kill off Taiju + Yuzuriha + Tsukasa (75% of the cast....) and have Senkuu surviving on his own + facing problems= much better series. Hell, why didnt we see his first 6 months awake alone from the start. The series would likely be much more bareable if that had happened and he had been the MC. Then we followed him as he established himself and others woke up around him + plans he had set in place beforehand. We're supposed to believe Senkuu is incredibly smart, and aside his science knowledge, we havent seen any good scheming from him yet.

Sooo much more could have been done with this premise its not funny. Why go to the effort to make such a good one when you're just gonna chuck the most generic and bland characters people see in every shounen they read inside it?
Personally I find Taiju and Yuzuriha's relationship really cute, so I like that they're included in the series. And Seikuu is a great MC imo.
I like the friend ship with the trio.

My only real negative is the villain
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Dr.Stone chapter was amazing. What the hell do people want?
I want greatness, I want to see the next One Piece, Naruto, Slam Dunk, not an average series. I'm not satisfied with nice art made by a veteran, that's mostly what I see here since nobody say why Dr. Stone is so good while we have plenty of reasons to say the contrary.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
From what I've lurked on, I haven't seen anyone call Stone outright terrible. I've seen more "meh" than terrible. I believe it will get better once it gets to about 20-30 or so chapters in but the beginning has been a little dry imo. Senkuu is honestly the most interesting character and the only one worthwhile to care about so far.
"Meh" series don't survive in Jump, they normally don't have 20~30 chapters to develop its story, it has to be good and good now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top