Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I feel like people critique these quick drawings the artist do for fun online a bit harshly. For a quick sketch of the character it looks fine to me.
I think critique Tabata was more justified because it was for an official publication. But Kubo probably just took like 5 minutes out of his day to do a quick sketch and that's it
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Looking at the spoilers, HZ could end in 2 chapters even. Maybe it could be dragged out more, but the climax was reached and it wouldnt be strange for it to end any week.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
I'm afraid I'm going to need some context here. Who are these two and what are they most notable for?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To be fair to Kubo, who knows how much he draws these days. It does look like Ichigo with Todoroki's hair and eyes but it's cool to see and either the same or better than Tabata's
I was talking about Horikoshi situation, I don't know why you understood that I was talking about Kubo, he is out of the magazine.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Perfect Crime Party was Obata and Ohba best creation, so it was probably them saying that he is good.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Looking at the spoilers, HZ could end in 2 chapters even. Maybe it could be dragged out more, but the climax was reached and it wouldnt be strange for it to end any week.
So I was right again, huh?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Perfect Crime Party was Obata and Ohba best creation, so it was probably them saying that he is good.
Blasphemy! PFF and Otters are clearly better.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was talking about Horikoshi situation, I don't know why you understood that I was talking about Kubo, he is out of the magazine.
I don't know why people assume there's something wrong with him when missing deadlines is common among mangaka especially in Jump we already know that the first time was due to sending the manuscript late since the chapter was complete and the second which accorded 5 months later was due to exhaustion which was ordered by the staff itself which was more or less a precaution not wanting a repeat of what happened with Oda getting surgery and being forced to take a break every 4 issues now because he wasn't taking care of himself. As long as he doesn't pull a Eguchi then he's fine at best we can do is support him and the series to keep his spirits up.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dr. Stone receiving an emergency reprint, interesting. How many volumes did they initially print?
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't know why people assume there's something wrong with him when missing deadlines is common among mangaka especially in Jump we already know that the first time was due to sending the manuscript late since the chapter was complete and the second which accorded 5 months later was due to exhaustion which was ordered by the staff itself which was more or less a precaution not wanting a repeat of what happened with Oda getting surgery and being forced to take a break every 4 issues now because he wasn't taking care of himself. As long as he doesn't pull a Eguchi then he's fine at best we can do is support him and the series to keep his spirits up.
It's okay everything you said but... Don't get started comparing a freaking 20-year series mangaka with Horikoshi.

As good as horikoshi's art is, he can't match Oda's details... One Piece is a freaking nightmare, drawing-wise.

Horikoshi seems clearly unable to keep up with what he's currently doing and he should take it easy. Maybe even (and again, I'm not baiting, why da hell you guys always think I do that?) take a hiatus period.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's okay everything you said but... Don't get started comparing a freaking 20-year series mangaka with Horikoshi.

As good as horikoshi's art is, he can't match Oda's details... One Piece is a freaking nightmare, drawing-wise.

Horikoshi seems clearly unable to keep up with what he's currently doing and he should take it easy. Maybe even (and again, I'm not baiting, why da hell you guys always think I do that?) take a hiatus period.
Being a mangaka is tough for everyone regardless of how you feel about the art of the individual which is entirely subjective to begin with and doesn't tell us anything about how much they worked on a single page which according to many reports can take up to a day per page. Hunter X Hunter is turning 19 this year and its art looks worse than every new series out now yet you still see Togashi complain about his back problems from drawing all day. A hiatus won't fix anything especially if the problem isn't as serious as what Ashihara is suffering from.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Dr. Stone receiving an emergency reprint, interesting. How many volumes did they initially print?
Is it actually sold out in stores or is it only Amazon because I still see it available in many venues. I doubt they gave this the same amount of copies as We Never Learn for the first printing.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Being a mangaka is tough for everyone regardless of how you feel about the art of the individual which is entirely subjective to begin with and doesn't tell us anything about how much they worked on a single page which according to many reports can take up to a day per page. Hunter X Hunter is turning 19 this year and its art looks worse than every new series out now yet you still see Togashi complain about his back problems from drawing all day. A hiatus won't fix anything especially if the problem isn't as serious as what Ashihara is suffering from.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Is it actually sold out in stores or is it only Amazon because I still see it available in many venues. I doubt they gave this the same amount of copies as We Never Learn for the first printing.
But why? It ranks better. Why did they low-ball it?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But why? It ranks better. Why did they low-ball it?
That's what I mean. We Never Learn is a niche series while Dr. Stone is meant to appeal to more readers so even if they were being cautious I doubt it's intial print run is the same as WNL.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Maybe they think that japs bias toward non-japs person and cultures would hurt the sales and they tested with a low print.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's what I mean. We Never Learn is a niche series while Dr. Stone is meant to appeal to more readers so even if they were being cautious I doubt it's intial print run is the same as WNL.
Do we know WNL's initial print run?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It must have been a significant number requested for WNL's reprint since it was "big" news that it got one to where as Dr. Stone's probably wasn't a significant number requested reprinted to meet the demand.
 
Last edited:

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
"We Never Learn" was reprinted twice and got new on ANN, it still selling well because it is still in the top 200 although one month have passed already.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top