Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think Posuka Demizu will win the competition of best tribute easily. :zomg
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
or maybe people switch out for the digital full color volume.

It also doesn't help that it takes 3 months to release a volume, as oppose to 2 months.
I do see the Kindle version on Amazon ranking significantly higher than the print version, so maybe most of its sales are in digital. They didn't release a full color volume this month though.
Still disappointing when compared to other series that more visibly boost sales with every volume. Maybe Tadahiro should add more extras in volumes or something.
I probably shouldn't think about it too much anymore and just enjoy the series while it lasts
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ok Neverland clearly won. This colorpage is just beautiful.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This was a competition?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, I started my animanga journey with absolute love for One Piece and ended the same journey (almost) with absolute hate towards this manga. Thank you Oda for so many years of such a variety of feelings!
And the reason for the hate would be?
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
And the reason for the hate would be?
It's funny his hate for One Piece that is "always" present and his avatar of HxH that is almost never here. At least he has One Piece to hate since HxH soon won't be here for him to feel anything.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Only time I hated One Piece was when I was a kid and that's because I watched the 4kids dub...
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
My experience with OP started the same for me like most Americans: it came on the Toonami block after DBZ along with shows like Zatch Bell, Zoids, Gundam, Sailor Moon, classics before or around the same time when Naruto and Bleach came on CartoonNetwork. I used to be so into this series, never bought a volume cause I never read the manga but I supported the series by buying video games and some other merchandise. Somewhere after Skypiea arc (my favorite OP arc) the story just got dry to me and lost my interest. That was about 8-10 years ago and before that I was following OP for like 6-7 years. I'll preference by saying I took a break from anime/manga in general but I still watched Naruto anime and whatever Dragon Ball projects were out cause I considered those like watching regular cartoons like Spongebob or Simpsons. For the flak Naruto gets deserved or undeserved I never got bored with it or the franchise even if I took breaks from watching it weekly. Either way I respect Oda so much though, or any author that has that much determination for such a long running project. I know that doesn't equal quality, entertainment or even success for some cases but shit is still admirable to me. Oda, Kishi, Toriyama and Mashima are my favorite authors that I can say I'm a fan of the person.

Once FT ends I'll pick back anime where I left off then hop back to the manga whenever I'm caught up. Just reading MHA faithfully would get super boring, all these big titles are ending left and right since 2014 it's gonna be dry to older fans. I hope we get another big success soon.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
It's pretty weird seeing One Piece being 20 years old now. I've been reading the series for over a decade now myself. A lot of fond memories spent on the Saveonepiece forums (I remember being so wildly excited when the Funi dub finally aired on Toonami only for it to be cancelled a few months later to have a block of just Naruto and Dragon Ball Z). Crazy how the series can be so consistent in quality and creativity for so damn long on a weekly schedule.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
One Piece was never a big success like Naruto and Bleach here in Brazil for some reason I don't know, it was published in the past, but the published went bankrupt and it was stopped in the middle to be published again not so long ago, I think it was 2015 (the manga market is huge and publications looks like ages XD). Therefore, the anime was never really aired decently, I've never watched One Piece on TV. My relationship with Jump started with Jump Ultimate Stars and from there derived my first manga, Black Cat, the One Piece some time after. Now I don't have time to watch animes, manga already consumes my entertainment time and it takes priority above any anime, but some years ago One Piece was my lunch show. XD
As for the manga, I took a long time to catch up because I stopped for some time, I don't remember when exactly, and I'm a slow reader myself, so I caught up when it was around the time-skip, it seems like ages for me. I can imagine how Japanese people who have been following the series for 20 years must fell. So many things happen in this series that it seems like it is 40 years, not 20. :derp
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I remember subbing it in 2002 using VHS tapes. Who's older now? ;/
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Think you mean Beelzebub, not Toriko.
Nope, I'm really talking of Toriko. The last OVA it had in Jump Festa was from Toei Animation, just like the TV Anime.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Yeah...got little faith in the new director. A lot of people hate him, somewhat good news is that it'll follow the manga more but doesn't mean that much if the director isnt good. I missed the old director. She was awesome, not sure why she left.
I would say that she really never joined! Before Kekkai Sensen all of her work was done in Toei Animation, that was her first work outside the company.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Nope, I'm really talking of Toriko. The last OVA it had in Jump Festa was from Toei Animation, just like the TV Anime.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


I would say that she really never joined! Before Kekkai Sensen all of her work was done in Toei Animation, that was her first work outside the company.
You mean the 2010 OVA? Doesn't matter...Ufotable did the 2009 one. So no Toriko didn't have the same studio for it's OVA's and anime. It's just Gintama.

I know she did to Toei stuff, I liked Kyousougiga. Doesn't explain why she left and she could've very well stayed. My guess it had to do with the episode delay.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
You mean the 2010 OVA? Doesn't matter...Ufotable did the 2009 one. So no Toriko didn't have the same studio for it's OVA's and anime. It's just Gintama.

I know she did to Toei stuff, I liked Kyousougiga. Doesn't explain why she left and she could've very well stayed. My guess it had to do with the episode delay.
Are you saying that the 2010 OVA is not an OVA? Because Toei Animation OVA and Toei Animation TV Anime seem to me the same studio.

Are you trying to change my words? I talked of the OVA and TV anime, and now you're trying to change the conversation like I was talking of all the OVA's. Nope, when I talked of Toriko having OVA and TV anime with the same studio I was talking of the last OVA and the TV anime, like it was obviously implied.

She worked in things before Kyousougiga, though not as the main Director, all of them were for Toei Animation, she basically came from Toei Animation school.
She was probably just a freelancer for Bones. Seems like she is doing another work at the moment.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
About One Piece, started watching the anime since 2005. Loved since the first episode. When caught up the anime in the end of Ennies Lobby, started reading the manga.

One Piece is far from my first experience with anime, possible Speed Racer or Maya the Honey Bee or Wycky the Viking or Heidi or other old anime like those, but certainly my all time favorite manga and anime.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
While I don't enjoy the pacing in the anime these days, the manga is a different story.
I've tried really hard to get many interested in One Piece. The length of the series seems to scare everyone (they get more surprised when I tell them that it's only about 70% done). While the series is not my favorite, it's definitely right up there.

Congrats Oda. Hopefully he stays well and doesn't overwork himself.
 

tk_rout

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2010
Messages
67
Reaction score
112
Gender
Male
Country
India
The bad news is that this slot's viewership is incredibly low. Boruto is averaging less than 1% ratings. To give an example:

6/5〜6/11
ボルト 遊戯20 バディ
*0.3→ *0.6→ *1.3
*0.8→ *1.2→ *3.6
*0.1→ *0.5→ *0.5

This is the time progression from Boruto to Yugioh to Buddy Cardfight for the various regions.
That is not the rating for Wednesday Evening.

Rather rating for Saturday re-runs at 7 AM morning to 8:30 AM.
Boruto->Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 20th Remaster->Future Card Buddy Fight X

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/index/timetable/

To give example, here is the full post for that week. (05th-11th June)
怪獣倶楽部
*0.9
*0.0
*0.0

ボルト 遊戯20 バディ しまじ ゼロクロ アプ ジャンポリ (TV-Tokyo Saturday Morning)
*0.3→*0.6→*1.3→*1.8→*1.3→*0.8→*0.7
*0.8→*1.2→*3.6→*5.2→*3.2→*1.5→*0.1
*0.1→*0.5→*0.5→*0.0→*0.0→*0.0→*0.2

*2.0 *1.1 *4.4 *0.9  *0.5 *1.6 *0.4  *1.1 *0.7 *0.7  ヘボット
*3.3 *1.8 *8.2 *0.7  *0.0 *2.4 *0.2  *1.1 *2.6 *1.1  キュウレン
*4.4 *2.4 *9.9 *0.6  *0.6 *2.3 *0.4  *3.6 *4.3 *1.1  エグゼイド
*3.6 *2.0 *7.5 *0.2  *2.2 *1.3 *0.1  *4.3 *4.0 *0.7  アラモード

チー きんだー エレナ ポケ家 デュエマ 昔話 ヴァンガ ミラちゅ
*0.9→*1.0→*1.3→*2.1→*1.5→*2.4 *0.6→*0.1
*1.5→*2.2→*4.0→*6.8→*5.9→*2.3 *0.9→*0.3
*0.0→*0.2→*0.8→*1.6→*0.3→*0.5 *1.3→*0.1

チャギ モンハン DB超 ワンピ (Fuji TV Sunday Morning)
*3.3 *2.5→*6.3→*5.8
*0.1 *3.1→11.5→*8.9
*0.0 *0.6→*1.9→*1.2

12th-18th June
怪獣倶楽部
*1.1
*0.0
*0.1

ボルト 遊戯20 バディ しまじ ゼロクロ アプ ジャンポリ
*0.7→*0.8→*1.1→*1.6→*1.0→*1.1→*0.5
*0.6→*1.3→*1.9→*3.1→*2.5→*2.7→*0.7
*0.4→*0.6→*0.6→*0.1→*0.0→*0.0→*0.0

チー きんだー エレナ ポケ家 デュエマ 昔話 ヴァンガ ミラちゅ
*1.0→*1.4→*2.3→*3.1→*2.2→*2.7 *0.4→*0.2
*2.0→*2.1→*4.7→*8.1→*5.6→*3.4 *1.0→*0.6
*0.0→*0.0→*1.4→*2.4→*0.0→*0.0 *0.6→*0.0

チャギ モンハン DB超 ワンピ
*2.2 *2.5→*6.1→*7.0
*0.2 *4.7→*8.0→*8.4
*0.8 *0.7→*2.6→*1.7
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
While I can appreciate One Piece's success and I remember when the manga first came to the US, but I stopped enjoying One Piece around the Skypia arc and finally dropped the series all together when it reached Marine Ford War. I still keep up with what's happening in the manga but I haven't read it in a long time. I'm happy that One Piece has reached over twenty years in publication and is still considerable popular, though for me personally it's not as good as it use to be.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
While I can appreciate One Piece's success and I remember when the manga first came to the US, but I stopped enjoying One Piece around the Skypia arc and finally dropped the series all together when it reached Marine Ford War. I still keep up with what's happening in the manga but I haven't read it in a long time. I'm happy that One Piece has reached over twenty years in publication and is still considerable popular, though for me personally it's not as good as it use to be.
Weird that you dropped at Marine Ford. That's widely considered the best arc of the series
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Weird that you dropped at Marine Ford. That's widely considered the best arc of the series
I know it's held as one of the best arcs in One Piece, to me however that arc both came across as to early to happen, also given that the whole Straw hat crew wasn't present, and the whole motivation for the arc at least to me wasn't that good given it was about rescuing Ace who for all Luffy knew was already dead after they met in Alabasta.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top