Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 527 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
SnS interview came out recently and stated the following:

Yes. It's possible that SnS can end quite soon just like I said not so long ago.
He ended up saying nothing like the majority of the authors do where you cannot take what they say literally. He said that it could go through Souma graduation or second year. End after this arc could be considered a good idea if they didn't have let important things uncovered.
The big fact here is we cannot take what authors say outside of their stories seriously. In 2013 Attack on Titan author said it would end the series at volume 20, it is already volume 23. I don't know how near it is from ending, but it already surpassed what the author predicted, 3 volume in a monthly series is a lot, it is 1 year of serialization. The authors not always are in control of everything in the stories, be it because the editors have some of the control, or ideas come forth and increase the plot.

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
That comment was lowkey pointless, basically just talking in circles saying '"oh we might do this or might do that so be ready for anything". For people who want Food Wars to end it'll give them leeway and say "well I didn't exactly say it'll end next year so I don't look dumb" while it scares it's fans thinking it'll end any moment. It does more harm than good imo. From the chapters I've followed this year I think it was better than 2016 but I can see true quality degradation if it goes past two years from 2017. 2019 is honestly a fair end point. A 7 year run would be a great success to me.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
That comment was lowkey pointless, basically just talking in circles saying '"oh we might do this or might do that so be ready for anything". For people who want Food Wars to end it'll give them leeway and say "well I didn't exactly say it'll end next year so I don't look dumb" while it scares it's fans thinking it'll end any moment. It does more harm than good imo. From the chapters I've followed this year I think it was better than 2016 but I can see true quality degradation if it goes past two years from 2017. 2019 is honestly a fair end point. A 7 year run would be a great success to me.
This. Not only that, but it was an off tangent about who would be in the Elite Ten, which not only is that obvious but such a dumb question.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly after this current debacle there's just not that much to the manga that wouldn't be seen as "adding on" anymore especially when the antagonist wants to reshape how food is served in the entire world where exactly do you go from there? Stuff like going into 2nd and 3rd year and the Elite Ten shuffle seem lower in terms of stakes.

TM2

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Has SnS really de-escalated the stakes before? Because I can't really see the series escalating higher than Azami. I can certainly see it going the route of more personal stories like developing their own cooking and restaurants outside of the food battles making for more personal stakes. But going beyond Azami without making the story ridiculous than it is already is going to be a challenge.

shoyoboyo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Like it's been said before, there's still that BLUE tournament that Joichiro never competed in, and Soma wants to surpass his dad, so it's only natural that he would participate in it.

I think Tsukuda only said that because of the uncertainties of Jump. He has no idea if SnS will be still be popular enough to last until Souma's graduation judging by the gradual decrease in sales that we've seen. He basically just said "we don't know where it will end".

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
At the very least, Soma is not being cancelled anytime for the next 2 years in the minimum as its 3rd season starts in October and its rankings themselves recently are no where near the bottom. Even if volume sales are dropping, its still currently the fifth bestseller in the magazine. Until one of the newer series can begin to outsell Soma, its not going anywhere.

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I always thought that authors have an ideia what they gonna do in the next arcs, looks like Soma author don't follow the Oda way.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Like it's been said before, there's still that BLUE tournament that Joichiro never competed in, and Soma wants to surpass his dad, so it's only natural that he would participate in it.

I think Tsukuda only said that because of the uncertainties of Jump. He has no idea if SnS will be still be popular enough to last until Souma's graduation judging by the gradual decrease in sales that we've seen. He basically just said "we don't know where it will end".
Or maybe he just genuinely wanted to end the series at that point? It doesn't have to go through every year or stay longer than that. I saw someone suggest an international saga? That's just stupid. It'll lead to more mediocrity IMO.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
At the very least, Soma is not being cancelled anytime for the next 2 years in the minimum as its 3rd season starts in October and its rankings themselves recently are no where near the bottom. Even if volume sales are dropping, its still currently the fifth bestseller in the magazine. Until one of the newer series can begin to outsell Soma, its not going anywhere.
Even the volume sales argument is debatable since we don't know how many readers are migrating to digital platform. Everybody was worried about Jump print numbers decrease before the news some pages ago where they say that summing physical and digital they are actually increasing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Or maybe he just genuinely wanted to end the series at that point? It doesn't have to go through every year or stay longer than that. I saw someone suggest an international saga? That's just stupid. It'll lead to more mediocrity IMO.
I don't see any mediocrity in the story right now and I think the readers, Shueisha and its editors agree with me. I don't know what you are talking about.
Azami planned to change the entire world cuisine... I'm not so sure if it was used these words specifically, but if so, we know that it would not happen, is reasonable to think that Totsuki is not the only elite cooking school in the world and there are others better than Elite Ten. It is actually obvious because we all know that Jouichirou could annihilate anybody there with his hands tied. It was what an international arc would bring, actual high level battles involving cooking, there are stronger opponents out there.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I don't see any mediocrity in the story right now and I think the readers, Shueisha and its editors agree with me. I don't know what you are talking about.
Azami planned to change the entire world cuisine... I'm not so sure if it was used these words specifically, but if so, we know that it would not happen, is reasonable to think that Totsuki is not the only elite cooking school in the world and there are others better than Elite Ten. It is actually obvious because we all know that Jouichirou could annihilate anybody there with his hands tied. It was what an international arc would bring, actual high level battles involving cooking, there are stronger opponents out there.
The central arc which I don't care how many readers agree or disagree; it was mediocre. I wasn't talking about the current arc. Even if we assume what Azami said was correct that doesn't mean it has to happen.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Even the volume sales argument is debatable since we don't know how many readers are migrating to digital platform. Everybody was worried about Jump print numbers decrease before the news some pages ago where they say that summing physical and digital they are actually increasing.
The fact that its growing is assuring and good for digital sales but in terms of individual series' digital sales, only Kingdom (any maybe a few others) has had concrete numbers released in the past, with 6 million in digital sales as of Volume 46. Almost none of Shonen Jump series have had their digital sales numbers released. This doesn't mean that they're doing bad but the primary focus is still on Paper copies for jump. Nakano even said that he still wants to increase the magazine's physical copy print number.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The fact that its growing is assuring and good for digital sales but in terms of individual series' digital sales, only Kingdom (any maybe a few others) has had concrete numbers released in the past, with 6 million in digital sales as of Volume 46. Almost none of Shonen Jump series have had their digital sales numbers released. This doesn't mean that they're doing bad but the primary focus is still on Paper copies for jump. Nakano even said that he still wants to increase the magazine's physical copy print number.
They are still thinking with the mentality of the past, I think it will get better with the natural replacement of old editors for young ones who are already familiar with digital platform.Digital will never replace physical entirely, but they at least have to treat both platforms with the same privilegies, not delaying digital edition release for example. I've seen Shueisha doing this, but other publishers delay for weeks or event a month (damn you Dengeki). I was excited to read a few pages of the new LNs from Dengeki contest, but it took so long to release the digital edition that the urge passed a long time ago. They have to get it together because people are looking for something practical when they go to digital platform, and getting things harder will not help.

Last edited:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly after this current debacle there's just not that much to the manga that wouldn't be seen as "adding on" anymore especially when the antagonist wants to reshape how food is served in the entire world where exactly do you go from there? Stuff like going into 2nd and 3rd year and the Elite Ten shuffle seem lower in terms of stakes.
Ya, these are both fair takes. While there are about 3-4 options to go from with arcs and running plot lines (Soma surpassing his father, finding a wife) it doesn't mean those arcs should happen (Azami stuff was the gutter of Food Wars to me for example). But the point remains, off the strength of the options they can go, it's current high rankings, and with S3 on the come up in October I just can't see it ending before 2019.

I always thought that authors have an ideia what they gonna do in the next arcs, looks like Soma author don't follow the Oda way.
As much as I dislike this method I'm starting to accept a good amount of authors do this. Kubo, Mashima, Toriyama (? off the strength of Eyepatch's fall of Bleach vid so whether it's proven true or false idk) have all either admitted to go chapter to chapter or go along with the flow. I always felt like setting the storyboard beforehand is a way give you "safeholds" for yourself so you won't have to result to bullshit to get the hero out of whatever condrudrum. Like to give you options of where to go when you reach a certain point. It seems that creating the actual backdrop for the current arc is the only precedent they set and they just make things up on the way from there. I see why people have problems with both Bleach's and FT's final arcs due this style.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I don't remember the source right now, but there was an interview where Oda said that he writes thinking about how the character would react in a certain circumstance and goes from there. We know that it is impossible to do something like One Piece without planning ahead so I think it is another one of the series "Bullshits that authors say on interviews".

Bleach and FTs problems started long before the final arc.
Fairy Tail IS a problem.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
True, but it became the most glaring for both in the final arc.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Does anyone know if there is an archive or something that will tell me what chapters of a series ran in what issue of Jump? I'm looking back on older issues from the 80s and trying to find out what chapters of certain series were featured when they got covers or colour pages for example.

razerxs

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
Does anyone know if there is an archive or something that will tell me what chapters of a series ran in what issue of Jump? I'm looking back on older issues from the 80s and trying to find out what chapters of certain series were featured when they got covers or colour pages for example.
Comic vine is good for contents and covers. Kanzenshuu's got more details for Dragon Ball only. Nothing on colors though.

Status
Not open for further replies.