Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,557
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I think there was a similar interview a while back about this, but I'm pretty sure the standards have changed a little and editors nowadays are willing wait it out until the 10th chapter or so.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It doesn't matter if it get serialize or if it become successful, you said everyone know the contestants are just copying what they see in Jump suggesting that if you want to get in Jump that what you need to do

So, I'm challenging how true this is

What was last year winner copying? what was Beelzebub copying? what was Ikkyuu copying?
Just look at the line up and the pinnacle of originality it is ~sarcasm~. Not that I have any complain about that, it just needs to be good.
Beelzebub was very original? I've never heard about Ikkyuu, to prove how successful it was ~sarcasm again~.

You are the only one who gets offended when I say that Jump is not original, everybody knows that it is not and read it as such. Originality is not necessary, the base is the same, only details are changed. It is a formula. You will not find anything original among GFC contestants, forget it. They don't even have the maturity necessary to know their own style, even less do something original.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I think there was a similar interview a while back about this, but I'm pretty sure the standards have changed a little and editors nowadays are willing wait it out until the 10th chapter or so.
That can instead lead to situations like Seishun which despite struggling to reach 10k in sales is still in the magazine. The questionnaire results must simply be that big such that people don't feel the need to buy the volumes but still want to read it every week.

Honestly, this kind of competitiveness is really a double-edged sword. It pushes mangaka to grow to write interesting series but at the same time, fall back onto to cliches and just put spins of cliches that the readership likes and try to structure the story such that its original enough to keep up with and gets their blood boiling, however little.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Read chapter 13 of Shuudan. This new select team that they're clearly building is great. It's such a shame this series isn't finding an audience, it's so good...
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I never said anything about Jump's originality or that originality means automatic success
you claimed & I quote "everybody is aware that GFC contestants are just copying what they see in Jump every week because they want to get serialized." but you never heard of Ikkyuu? a GFC winner? so how did you know he was copying someone?

I'm not the only one offended when you say that Jump is not original, I'm the only one bored enough to call you out on your claims this is why this discussion lasted this long, you refuse to admit you were generalizing and I'm too bored to let it go

tl,dr you're literally judging a book by its cover

Read chapter 13 of Shuudan. This new select team that they're clearly building is great. It's such a shame this series isn't finding an audience, it's so good...
I stopped reading it, cuz it's too painful knowing it will end any week
this is the biggest cancellation butthurt I had since UBS
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Fuck, yeah Utsumi better come back soon. We need a battle manga with his energy.
 

Torca

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
1,120
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
I stopped reading it, cuz it's too painful knowing it will end any week
this is the biggest cancellation butthurt I had since UBS
UBS cancellations was justified - it had the worst pantsu panel I saw in my life. My whole life changed thanks to this.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
yeah, the fight with the creepy girl was a bit too much

believe it or not, this is not the most extreme reaction I saw to that fight, when it happened some guy on Viz's comment section was going mad "ThinK aBOuT tHE CHIIILDREEENNN" and "this is the worst manga everrr!!" :XD

I can't think of something I don't like other than that, it's a fine and entertaining Baki-clone type of manga
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Read chapter 13 of Shuudan. This new select team that they're clearly building is great. It's such a shame this series isn't finding an audience, it's so good...
I think Yokota needs to make a battle that was great as Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous I mean its so popular fans made a official Board game out of it. then there was Dancing Midgets which I really liked but I prefer him doing a battle manga when it is his time again.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,290
Reaction score
7,315
Age
33
Country
Scotland
UBS was such an odd series for current Jump. It was certainly nice to see a series strip out as much fat as possible and try to be nothing but pure action but it went a bit too far with the simplicity, you need some kind of stand out gimmick or few to get people to notice your series over others.

Even Black Clover had it's own unique appeal amongst the competition from the start, sure that appeal was pretty much 'it's Fairy Tail but in Jump' but that's still something that made it stand out.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Not really, the only standout thing about Black Clover is the somewhat unique detailed art.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't remember much about UBS, but I think it had some of the weirdest female character designs I've seen in a while.
Also while I have no interest in Robot x Laserbeam, someone told me to look at this week's chapter and wow, I can honestly say I never expected to see Pop'n Music in Jump... It felt like a sign. also Bemani is destroying my hands and feet and is pretty much the reason I stopped translating stuff, send help
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't remember much about UBS, but I think it had some of the weirdest female character designs I've seen in a while.
yep, the mangaka gave the same weirdass face to all background female characters, he used it as his avatar for the authors comments section too :XD
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I really forgot how "We Never Learn" first chapters were average, now I'm feeling it while reading the volumes. Now it is better and now that the PROTAGONIST was presented, things will get even better. A true tsundere girl AND tiny girl must be the protagonist. XD
Takemoto has to appear more and do some shit to not lose her position in my heart. XD
<< Look at this hair, loved it. :P
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Shoseki Manga Sales Rankings (18/9-24/9)
12. My Hero Academia #15
30. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma #26
33. The Promised Neverland #5
81. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san #7
110. Dr. Stone #2
237. Hinomaru Zumou #16

30位28000/50位17600/100位7800/200位4550/300位3000/400位2350/500位2050
Book-rank.net sales for series below Neverland. Keep in mind this may not be entirely accurate.
10,573 / 111,348 - Yuragi #7
7,297 / 70,413 - Dr. Stone #2
3,874 / 42,620 - Hinomaru #16

Gintama switches timeslots slightly again for Porori. Now at 2:05 am on Mondays instead of 1:35am.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
@Leoat12 CHANGE YOUR AVI!!!! Lol this was the reason I got triggered.. we need more tanline and teacher, not midget tsunderes. Why does every romcom have that girl who needs money so she works a part time job at an embarrassing location that nobody can see her at?

Anyway, hope we can get the Magical Boys X oneshot translated. Just from the preview picture it has everything I need: good art, cool designs, hot chick, real-world reference. Only one I enjoyed was the one with the Aizawa lookalike w/ the MC that was beating the shit out of people.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
@Leoat12 CHANGE YOUR AVI!!!! Lol this was the reason I got triggered.. we need more tanline and teacher, not midget tsunderes. Why does every romcom have that girl who needs money so she works a part time job at an embarrassing location that nobody can see her at?
You don't tell me what to do, more respect with your senpai. XD
I don't complain about Takemoto, the teacher I'm pretty much indifferent. Nisekoi didn't have such character! :derp
I don't remember much instances of this plot you mentioned although I do think there are some, in any case, in Jump what matters is not the cliche part, is what the author brings after that. I think her story is kinda cool, it reminds me a lot of people here who wants to study Medicine, it is the hardest course to pass by far, I think it is like that everywhere?
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Maybe it's from what I read but I've seen this trope too many times, in not just romcoms but like in Yugioh too with Tea but hers was realistic so didn't mind too much. The problem isn't the motivation of earning money it's why does it always have to be something embarrassing? Why always a strip club or at a maid bar? Adding on that her character annoyed me it all just annoyed me.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
I don't know....I heard the new director isn't nearly as good as Matsumoto. There were great episodic moments like episode 6 with Leo & Nej, it just had a messy finale cause of the delay (I think). Season 2 is confirmed to follow the manga, I haven't read Kekkai Sensen or even B2B (not sure if they'll adapt it, prob for S3) so not sure what to expect. It does look faithful because I saw some raws of the manga and the anime is adapting it good from the looks of the PV.
Ep. 1 of S2 is confirmed to adapt the first chapter of B2B to reintroduce the characters (posted the source in SQ thread), but the series will be adapting parts from the original manga too.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top