Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Tanjirou is fine, he's there as the straight man that balances out all the freaks around him. We have enough over the top personalities in the series with PIG ASSAULT and Zenitsu and such, I think it's nice to have an MC who's more calm and focused.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There's no proof of this either but Black Clover may have also crashed Crunchrolls servers with the number of people who wanted to watch it, again no solid proof but it started having issues around when it was released on Crunchyroll so take it with a grain of salt.
Well here is how it stands in terms of popularity on the site. Not surprising, but in case anyone was curious.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Wow, Neverland is only 60k off Soma this week. That's pretty crazy to consider. Dunno if it will manage to pass it before it gets an anime, but that's really impressive.
The next pillar in jump, it has to do well. :hip
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Kimetsu no Yaiba would be so much better if Tanjiro wasn't so bland.

Random fan thinking, but I'd rather see Tanjiro and Nezuko as side characters and focus on Zenjurou trying to become a strong demon hunter after his pillar brother's death.
How is Tanjirou so bland? I find him one of the better MC's in recent year, not the best but still good.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
A lot of the time Tsuna tends to complain about the same things over and over again over the course of the series. While I could sympathize in the beginning it did start to grate when it became a repeated pattern. In terms of strength he certainly grew stronger as par for the course in battle manga. But he still remained the same type of character he was at the beginning.

Deku cries a lot but I think the author did a much better job of making me sympathize and relate to the character so I honestly didn't mind. The fact that he is actively making an effort to change himself also helps.

I can see and empathize with his struggles, his relationship with his mother and All Might. As well as the pressure to grow quickly for a position he is far from prepared for. In fact I would go as far as to say that Deku is one of the most relatable protagonists to ever come out of Jump.

I think that establishing a point of connection between the audience and the main character and maintaining it is key here. I think that the essence of a likeable protagonist is that their reactions and emotions in some way reflect our own.

I didn't really warm up to Luffy until he lost Ace. His grief over losing someone he cared about made him relatable.

I like Tanjiro as a character and can empathize with his struggle to protect his sister but admittedly I have difficulty seeing him in situations that doesn't involve him fighting demons in some way.

Naruto was relatable for the feelings of isolation he felt as a child and his desire to change that.

Asta while ostensibly following the same tropes as Naruto I just can't seem to sympathize with. Possibly because I have trouble seeing the character as anything other than a collection of the tropes that are associated with shonen battle manga.

I can't really bring myself to care for anybody in the Yuragi manga for similar reasons. Which I found rather odd because I have enjoyed similar manga in the past.

I should have been able to like Emma for her desire to protect her extended family and I should want to see the changes she'll undergo to do so but the author is seemingly fond of dangling that possibility in front of me but falls short of actually going through with it. She makes devious faces but I didn't actually see the character do anything that reflects the story the art is trying to tell.
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I fail to understand the relevance of the Pokemon reference in what I assume is an 'attempt' at a joke.
Not to mention, Pokemon manga run in (non Shueshia branded) Shogakukan magazines so we won't see a Pokemon manga in Jump.
I think Nintendo doesn't let anyone but Shogakukan touch their ips

and Shogakukan only does gag episodic stuff on Corocoro (with exception of the occasional Zelda's adaptations)

which is frustrating af when you imagine the potentials of fantastic original stories based on the worlds of Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, Metroid or whatever and then realizing it's not ever coming to fruition
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I think Nintendo doesn't let anyone but Shogakukan touch their ips

and Shogakukan only does gag episodic stuff on Corocoro (with exception of the occasional Zelda's adaptations)

which is frustrating af when you imagine the potentials of fantastic original stories based on the worlds of Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, Metroid or whatever and then realizing it's not ever coming to fruition
Uhm, bro you read Pokemon Special?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think I read the first like 4 volumes? when I was like in elementary school

so yeah, I don't remember much
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I think I read the first like 4 volumes? when I was like in elementary school

so yeah, I don't remember much
Give it a try, it's the Pokemon manga you're looking for.
Off topic for this thread tho.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
picking it back up is already on my to do list

don't they change the mc every time a new game comes out? I don't know how to feel about that
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
picking it back up is already on my to do list

don't they change the mc every time a new game comes out? I don't know how to feel about that
Think of it like JoJo.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
There was also Pokemon Reburst in Weekly Shonen Sunday but it was a bad HxH knockoff and got axed after a like a little over a year. I'd love to see a weekly Pokemon adventure type manga tho.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I just want a weekly good monster training manga, Pokemon, Digimon, YugiOh, or an original franchise I don't really care, just give me something interesting

Did anyone here watched Monster Rancher anime? now that is an amazing shonen monster training franchise

the adventure and exploring of a fantasy world that rivals Pokemon and the sense of stakes and characters development that rivals Dragon Quest 5

gimme something like that
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of vidoegame compaines have anything come from Level 5's
I just want a weekly good monster training manga, Pokemon, Digimon, YugiOh, or an original franchise I don't really care, just give me something interesting

Did anyone here watched Monster Rancher anime? now that is an amazing shonen monster training franchise


the adventure and exploring of a fantasy world that rivals Pokemon and the sense of stakes and characters development that rivals Dragon Quest 5

gimme something like that
The first series was good the second series was awful. Man did the dub try to ape Pokemon and even had its own lame rap section to list the monsters
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
there's a second season? guess it's a good thing I missed it then

Dafuq was that rap??? LMFAO
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Calling it now, Black Clover will become a million per volume seller because everyone would rather read the manga than listen to Asta screaming for 12 hours. :3c
Make people listen to it repetitively until they buy the manga. Success marketing strategy. :derp
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
there's a second season? guess it's a good thing I missed it then

Dafuq was that rap??? LMFAO
Yeah it covered a tournament arc and kinda ruined the ending to the first series. And yeah that dub sucked they tried far too hard to catch on Pokemon's popularity but the anime itself was so much better as it was.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm surprised there is a dub since I never see any people on western forums talking about it

basically the Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru syndrome

mainstream here in Asia but no one know it in the west
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm surprised there is a dub since I never see any people on western forums talking about it

basically the Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru syndrome

mainstream here in Asia but no one know it in the west
You know i find it odd as well there isn't more nostalgia for it in the West because i have fond memories of watching it on Fox Kids as a little girl. Seemed like it was pretty popular.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You know i find it odd as well there isn't more nostalgia for it in the West because i have fond memories of watching it on Fox Kids as a little girl. Seemed like it was pretty popular.
I don't even think it finished its run on FoxKids. It was shuffled about on its sister network Fox Family where it they aired the final episodes which also aired alongside Shinzo which was another shounen adventure series inspired by Journey To The West (where have I heard that before?) from Toei.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Big news for Isobee Isobee Monogatari in #46.

This new series is so far out of what Jump usually offers, that they have to write on the cover "※This is Jump" and surround it with Luffy, Hinata and Deku in order for people to believe this is Weekly Shonen Jump and not some weird new magazine using the same logo. I know Akimoto said that Jump is constantly in motion, so they serialize series from time to time that are rather adventurous but this is almost borderline ridiculous. This looks like a spin-off manga for Hello Kitty or something done in CoroCoro. Unless there is a huge twist or its just overall done well, I can't see Jump's readership sticking with it for a while. There were people on 2ch that said that Heroaca was more suited for CoroCoro due to it supposedly being that juvenile. I wonder what this is to them then.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
This new series is so far out of what Jump usually offers, that they have to write on the cover "※This is Jump" and surround it with Luffy, Hinata and Deku in order for people to believe this is Weekly Shonen Jump and not some weird new magazine using the same logo.
hahaha true. Anyway, some people are saying that the manga has dirty jokes and that the cute design is just to create contrast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top