Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Did anyone here watched Monster Rancher anime? now that is an amazing shonen monster training franchise
Bro this was one of my favorite games as a kid. I would love a monster training manga in Jump, I can't believe we don't have one.
 

Sir Isley

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
189
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
First episode looked good and went well, but holy shit Asta is terrible. Dude was legit screaming for at least a quarter of the episode. Besides that I see why people get Naruto x FT vibes now. Wizard King? Magic Entrance Exams? Rivals that grew up together? Magic and wizards? Demon that resides in the mc? Am I missing something?
That's incorrect
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't even think it finished its run on FoxKids. It was shuffled about on its sister network Fox Family where it they aired the final episodes which also aired alongside Shinzo which was another shounen adventure series inspired by Journey To The West (where have I heard that before?) from Toei.
Fuck i loved Shinzo! Watched it on the Disney channel that ran it in the early 00s.
 
Last edited:

Sir Isley

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
189
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Fuck i loved Shinzo! Watched it on the Disney channel that ran it in the early 00s.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Uhm, it hasn't been explicitly stated yet but it's pretty obvious.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
I mean what's more unsubtle than this from ch 1?
Umm that's coming from the sword not him.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
After episode 2 when does the other characters start to appear?
 

Sir Isley

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
189
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
And the text clearly says inside the book resides a demon or devil if you go by Viz.

After episode 2 when does the other characters start to appear?
More characters will appear in 2 and the rest in 3 probably.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Eh, still. Tabata is a hack writer who can't come up with anything original, let alone execute generic derivative elements in a decent or clever way.
 

Sir Isley

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
189
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Eh, still. Tabata is a hack writer who can't come up with anything original, let alone execute generic derivative elements in a decent or clever way.
So since you lost let's attack the writer yay.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
So since you lost let's attack the writer yay.
A mistake of mine doesn't suddenly erase his flaws. Even BC fans agree the writing is the weakest part of the series by faaar.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This new series is so far out of what Jump usually offers, that they have to write on the cover "※This is Jump" and surround it with Luffy, Hinata and Deku in order for people to believe this is Weekly Shonen Jump and not some weird new magazine using the same logo. I know Akimoto said that Jump is constantly in motion, so they serialize series from time to time that are rather adventurous but this is almost borderline ridiculous. This looks like a spin-off manga for Hello Kitty or something done in CoroCoro. Unless there is a huge twist or its just overall done well, I can't see Jump's readership sticking with it for a while. There were people on 2ch that said that Heroaca was more suited for CoroCoro due to it supposedly being that juvenile. I wonder what this is to them then.
I said more or less the same thing some pages ago and people talked to me as if I was crazy, so I will let it go.
 

Sir Isley

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
189
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Also he doesn't fit the definition of a "hack writer"
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Also he doesn't fit the definition of a "hack writer"
Because you've read a lot of from different writing mediums right? Yeah, Tabata blows Italo Calvino, Phil Elverum, and Asano Inio out of the water.
He's not even good as a popcorn writer. Fucking Kubo and Amano are better writers lol.
Black Clover is a trainwreck I can usually only read ironically.
 
Last edited:

Sir Isley

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
189
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because you've read a lot of from different writing mediums right? Yeah, Tabata blows Italo Calvino, Phil Elverum, and Asano Inio out of the water.
He's not even good as a popcorn writer. Fucking Kubo and Amano are better writers lol.
Seen and read way way worse.

Lol@Kubo being better aka the guy that drags out a fight to where it makes Frieza's 5 mins nonsense look like 30 seconds.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I said more or less the same thing some pages ago and people talked to me as if I was crazy, so I will let it go.
you said the editors are going insane, I replied I don't see how it's more ridiculous that Luckyman or Midori Makibao

I would like to remind everyone that the biggest hit that came from Jump in recent years is about a yellow octopus with a smile emoticon for a head
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Seen and read way way worse.

Lol@Kubo being better aka the guy that drags out a fight to where it makes Frieza's 5 mins nonsense look like 30 seconds.
This is a pointless conversation that will just get me banned.
Kubo ain't good, but he's sure as hell better than Tabata. Especially if you compare where the two series were at the same point.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
you said the editors are going insane, I replied I don't see how it's more ridiculous that Luckyman or Midori Makibao

I would like to remind everyone that the biggest hit that came from Jump in recent years is about a yellow octopus with a smile emoticon for a head
That's an oversimplification. While, this case may also be an oversimplification, Koro-sensei came from a series named "Assassination Classroom". The title is an immediate contrast to the character itself. Lycopene on the other hand, has this kind of art:

From the one shot:


Actual panels from the oneshot:


The one thing it has going for it is that it seems like an unusual comedy series. The above panels show the squirrel/whatever that is asking the Owl how babies are born and the Owl flat out says that they are born from the Mother's body to which the squirrel creature asks how they get in there. The punch line is "Through Sex, of course". The narration is reiterating said punchline. I just have to wonder how many more of these types of comedy series they're going to bring into the magazine. They already have No. 1 and Isobe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top