Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wonder when WT will be back (if it even is coming back), even HxH's supposed to be back before the end the year (whether it'll live up to that promise is another matter).

Also is the Yugioh Arc V manga ever going to end? The Vrains anime has been going on for months now. It doesn't matter that much to me since I don't read any of the Yugioh manga but it feels kind of silly to still have arc v ongoing.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wonder when WT will be back (if it even is coming back), even HxH's supposed to be back before the end the year (whether it'll live up to that promise is another matter).

Also is the Yugioh Arc V manga ever going to end? The Vrains anime has been going on for months now. It doesn't matter that much to me since I don't read any of the Yugioh manga but it feels kind of silly to still have arc v ongoing.
All YGO manga have been like that, seem to reach about 9 volumes and end, a monthly vrains manga has yet to start also.,
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
With HxH's return, Viz picked up more series than they ever had before, and then they also picked up Kenshin. So while they are both special cases, I don't think it's out of the question for them to pick up something new, but it'd have to have a pretty overwhelming response. I doubt they will pick anything up straight out of the Jump Starts, maybe wait until there are 10-30 chapters. And like has been said, Golem Hearts is the only one with any real chance, so it all depends on how it does I guess.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I feel like the Zexal manga ended a lot faster than Arc V is taking though, I'm sure I remember the final battle started as the anime ended but Arc is just having more and more duels. Maybe I just wasn't paying any mind to it at the time.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
anyone noticed that lately Jump Plus oneshots are being received very well by the fans and more talked about than the main magazine oneshots?

it started with Yoru wo higashi ni oneshot then SWORD IN THE CITY oneshot and now Flower for Lonely Witch

Rojiura Bunch, Vocimen, Saguri-chan, Yumizuka Iroha, Macho Gourmet, Magic Eater, and recently Golem Hearts all got serialized relatively soon after being published on Jump Plus so I'm excepting the previous 3 to pop up as a series either in the app or the magazine in the future
I've been noticing that too. Saguri-chan's one-shot was fantastic and the artwork was stunning. Although I can't read Japanese, I have been looking at the raws on Shonen Jump Plus's website, and I adore those colored landscape shots.

How exactly does Jump Plus operate? Is its primary purpose to cultivate talent amongst a pool of newer mangakas, try out new series that may not fit WSJ's current mix and potentially promote them at a later time, or for no real reason besides generating new web content?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well the TOC itself is put together by the deputy EiC so its not an entirely objective ranking. Not to say its doing good, but it must resonate with some demographic in the magazine and get good rankings from them, good enough to stay for a year now despite not even getting to Sumou's low sales hurdle. AT least Sumou has good rankings, or at the least placed pretty high consistently. This series is all over the place.
Correction: the TOC itself is put together by the deputy EiC heavily based on readers' votes. Years of observation led us to this conclusion and we are not going to doubt it right now with a basically irrelevant series. This demographic is non-existent then because it cannot stay in the top 50 even for a day. It doesn't seem it is giving them much profit to justify its stay.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
At this point it'd be better to just move World Trigger to Jump+ upon its return. I don't think World Trigger can handle this long hiatus and not suffer once it returns.
Plus give another boost to Jump+.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm saying it since day one! That this hiatus would have a big impact in its popularity. However, I didn't think that it would last so much, now I'm even doubting that it will come back at all. Don't comment and let it die on the fans memories (if not already dead) is starting to become a reasonable option.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wonder what the lowest number of chapters World Trigger could end in would be and still have a satisfying ending that doesn't feel too rushed.

I think it could end decently enough in a year or so if Ashihara decides he really can't keep it up as a full long term series (20 chapters for the last 2 rank battles and rescue mission preparations, 5 for the journey to Aftokraftor showing briefly what other worlds look like on the way but not taking any detours to explore them, 20 for the final fight, and 5 for returning home and wrapping up stuff) but the series could easily go on for much, much longer if he still has the ability. Though looking at HxH, 50 chapters is quite a lot of content for an ill creator.

Hopefully it comes back soon, I miss it and how different the action played out compared to jump's other current battle shounen.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
At this point I'd say it's pretty certain now that World Trigger will make it past the one year hiatus mark. How many WSJ have hit that milestone?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
As Black Clover slowly falls closer to the 6 Zone on MAL, I think it's safe to say Black Clover won't have an explosion in popularity in the west like MHA had
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
As Black Clover slowly falls closer to the 6 Zone on MAL, I think it's safe to say Black Clover won't have an explosion in popularity in the west like MHA had
The anime is 7.15 now. It is low, but since people there score the series in the first 5 minutes of the episode it will probably don't go under that that much.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
The anime is 7.15 now. It is low, but since people there score the series in the first 5 minutes of the episode it will probably don't go under that that much.
Don't think it'll hit the 6s, but the lower than 7.10.
Either way, I don't think the west is going to change their mind on it. It's reception will remain what it is
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Correction: the TOC itself is put together by the deputy EiC heavily based on readers' votes. Years of observation led us to this conclusion and we are not going to doubt it right now with a basically irrelevant series. This demographic is non-existent then because it cannot stay in the top 50 even for a day. It doesn't seem it is giving them much profit to justify its stay.
Yes it is based on the reader's votes, and obviously its doing something right somewhere otherwise they would have mercilessly removed it like they did to Amalgam and Demon's Plan, both series that started around the same time and were cancelled in 19 and 12 chapters respectively and also sold the same amount. Nakano just said last month that the readers decide what series stay and what end. The EiC or Deputy EiC cannot just leave series around just because they like them. I don't think it will stay for another year or even half a year, but Marie has just been given the axe and Seishun is still in. Marie sells more than Seishun. There is something we don't know in this equation.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ultimately, the West's opinion on it is largely irrelevant. It only has to succeed in Japan, and that remains to be seen.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Ultimately, the West's opinion on it is largely irrelevant. It only has to succeed in Japan, and that remains to be seen.
I'm know America has no effect on what's going on in Japan. I'm speaking solely on the series' reception here. The majority of anime fans I'll ever discuss anime and manga with will likely always be western fans, as opposed to Japanese fans.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Also is the Yugioh Arc V manga ever going to end? The Vrains anime has been going on for months now. It doesn't matter that much to me since I don't read any of the Yugioh manga but it feels kind of silly to still have arc v ongoing.
I think YGO manga are always like that, the anime ends and sequel starts but the old manga continues for months and years

How exactly does Jump Plus operate? Is its primary purpose to cultivate talent amongst a pool of newer mangakas, try out new series that may not fit WSJ's current mix and potentially promote them at a later time, or for no real reason besides generating new web content?
you answered your question
pretty sure it's all the reasons above


I think it's safe to say Black Clover won't have an explosion in popularity in the west like MHA had
MHA was always popular even without an anime, it wasn't as mainstream like it's now but it's was well known
it seemed like it had a thread on /a/ that hits 500 posts mark everyday, similar to the big 3

do people really care about MAL ratings? I think 7 out of the top 10 best rated anime ever are just Gintama, even the shitty serious seasons filled with lazy dicks and poops jokes are in the top
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yes it is based on the reader's votes, and obviously its doing something right somewhere otherwise they would have mercilessly removed it like they did to Amalgam and Demon's Plan, both series that started around the same time and were cancelled in 19 and 12 chapters respectively and also sold the same amount. Nakano just said last month that the readers decide what series stay and what end. The EiC or Deputy EiC cannot just leave series around just because they like them. I don't think it will stay for another year or even half a year, but Marie has just been given the axe and Seishun is still in. Marie sells more than Seishun. There is something we don't know in this equation.
The hidden factor is very simple: there were worst series since then and we know that.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
you answered your question
pretty sure it's all the reasons above
Ok, sounds good. Just wanted to be sure. I've been pretty interested in a decent number of Jump Plus series through the art styles alone. I'm glad to hear that more of its series are doing well.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I think YGO manga are always like that, the anime ends and sequel starts but the old manga continues for months and years



you answered your question
pretty sure it's all the reasons above




MHA was always popular even without an anime, it wasn't as mainstream like it's now but it's was well known
it seemed like it had a thread on /a/ that hits 500 posts mark everyday, similar to the big 3

do people really care about MAL ratings? I think 7 out of the top 10 best rated anime ever are just Gintama, even the shitty serious seasons filled with lazy dicks and poops jokes are in the top
I know MHA was already popular. But it's getting to the point that I'm starting to see ppl who aren't that in to anime as fans.

And I don't think MAL scores are that big a deal. However I think for an anime to be BIG here it needs to be well received in the core anime community here.
All I'm saying is I don't think BC will become very big here
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm not surprised because my train of thoughts is this:

once a manga have over 100+ scanlated chapters and it's not popular in the west

nothing will make it more popular not even an anime

I can't think of an example of an unpopular manga with active Edited Mangas that got popular after an anime

if anyone can please enlighten me
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top