Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
there's no GFC participants anymore so we don't have people to judge their shit tastes

so I translated the new series mangaka introductions from their oneshots



Genki Ono (Fulldrive)
favorite manga: Ushio to Tora, Gash Bell

2 battle shonen classics from Sunday, why are you in Jump and why are you doing a sport manga?



Gen Oosuka (Golem Hearts)
favorite manga: Parasyte, H2, Slam Dunk, Kiyoku Yawaku

this guy is trying to win best taste competition? also did he actually read Kiyoku Yawaku or did he just watch the live action movie?
in any case there is already huge expectations from you guys for GH and I think this will make them even bigger
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The first chapter of Tomatoy Poodle (Tomatoypoo no Lycopin) raw:
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5359225321
This is almost definitely a kodomo manga. Its literally written like it was for 4 year olds. The dialogue is almost more childish then Kemono Friends. It also throws in a huge amount of references especially actors and the like and if you're not aware of them, you'll not get it. The main girl, Amato Meme also doesn't get it. Its a parallel world called Cutopia (with root cute) where candy and the like grow off of trees. The main girl gets back to her world by strongly wishing to go back. This is almost plushie fodder. The main character is a Toy Poodle that was born from the seedling of a tomato plant. If this somehow made it, you'd definitely see this on TV Tokyo's long running daytime slot. I'm not entirely sure how long this will last but, time will tell.

Although it is pretty childish, this is exactly what I think Sorachi of Gintama would come up with if the Shuiesha executives were to tell him he's in charge of the next mascot toy-line, lol. As Iceemperor said it's more the dialog that makes this funny/work than the pictures, and it is generally pretty funny. I'm positive the whole point of this was to draw people in with the cute artstyle and then obliterate it with the dialog, lol. I don't think I'd go as far as calling it a kids manga, but it is childish but funny in a sense of "I can't believe they're saying that using this art style." I mean they even refer to the Moritomo Gakuen scandal (the forest the critters live in is Mori no tomodachi gakuen, and when shortened it's "Moritomo Gakuen.") So while it is definitely supposed to look like a kiddy series, the humor is a pay-grade above that.

I doubt Viz would pick this up full time if they're going to run it through their jump starts, but I'll be paying attention to it regardless.
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Does Sunday even have battle shounen anymore? Now that Magi's done. Plus the magazine in general has taken an enormous hit over the past decade or so, I can see a fan of old Sunday action stuff trying for jump instead (but yeah I don't know why it's sports, this feels like Galaxy Gangs guy all over again).
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
there's no GFC participants anymore so we don't have people to judge their shit tastes

so I translated the new series mangaka introductions from their oneshots



Genki Ono (Fulldrive)
favorite manga: Ushio to Tora, Gash Bell

2 battle shonen classics from Sunday, why are you in Jump and why are you doing a sport manga?



Gen Oosuka (Golem Hearts)
favorite manga: Parasyte, H2, Slam Dunk, Kiyoku Yawaku

this guy is trying to win best taste competition? also did he actually read Kiyoku Yawaku or did he just watch the live action movie?
in any case there is already huge expectations from you guys for GH and I think this will make them even bigger
I usually could care less about this but any Slam Dunk fan is a friend of mine
 

Torca

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
1,120
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Genki could be pretty discouraged to go to Sunday when mangaka of his favourite manga got a serious beef there. I didn't read his oneshot but it didn't strike to me to be inspired by those two that much? Maybe that just doesn't suit him so he's trying a sport series.

Top taste from Gen, I like these two newbies.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are you guys forgetting that liking a series and making something with the same quality is like the distance between the Sun and Earth? I also like Slam Dunk, does it make me a genius like Inoue? Of course not.
In short: I couldn't care less about their favorites.
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Are you guys forgetting that liking a series and making something with the same quality is like the distance between the Sun and Earth? I also like Slam Dunk, does it make me a genius like Inoue? Of course not.
In short: I couldn't care less about their favorites.
Yeah. Don't we remember that everyone is equally a good writer so tastes or experience are irrelevant!
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Seeing writer's tastes in series does matter, it gives an indication of what kind of series they're more likely to try their hand at. If someone's only into big action-packed jump battle shounen then chances are that's what they're going to want to write, if someone prefers slower paced character-focused that's probably what their own series will be like, and so on.

It's not about judging quality, it's making a guess at what their series structure and focus might be like (also it's just fun to poke fun at people's tastes sometimes).
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,714
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Haven't been giving atention this week. Any new info about Golem Hearts and Fulldrive?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Seeing writer's tastes in series does matter, it gives an indication of what kind of series they're more likely to try their hand at. If someone's only into big action-packed jump battle shounen then chances are that's what they're going to want to write, if someone prefers slower paced character-focused that's probably what their own series will be like, and so on.

It's not about judging quality, it's making a guess at what their series structure and focus might be like (also it's just fun to poke fun at people's tastes sometimes).
I will use Komi Naoshi as an example because I know him more than any author. I remembered that he said his favorites at some point, so I decided to look for it.

See any romance there? Despite that, he did two romances! His oneshots are also full of romance!
He has an excellent taste by the way, but it doesn't make me like him more than I already do. His work is what makes me like him as an author.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Seeing writer's tastes in series does matter, it gives an indication of what kind of series they're more likely to try their hand at. If someone's only into big action-packed jump battle shounen then chances are that's what they're going to want to write, if someone prefers slower paced character-focused that's probably what their own series will be like, and so on.

It's not about judging quality, it's making a guess at what their series structure and focus might be like (also it's just fun to poke fun at people's tastes sometimes).
It can give a look into their mindset as well.
I'd imagine someone who lists their favorites as like; Hunter x Hunter and Oyasumi Punpun are more likely to be coming from what I'd consider a more emotionally and intellectually chaotic perspective than one who would list theirs as Black Clover and Fairy Tail.

Tastes influence an artist a lot.
Look at the unmistakable influence Douglas Sirk and Reiner Werner Fassbinder had on Todd Haynes whom he has openly talked about being his favorite (along with Fassbinder saying the same of Sirk). All three had young lives rife with trauma and feelings of ostraciation. All three were wildly intelligent and had a firm grasp on humanity and the fraudulence of it (yet still present it in their own unique way)

In manga within Jump we can look on the clear influence Togashi has had on The Promised Neverland and Kimetsu no Yaiba.

I like to find artists on a similar wave length to me, and their tastes can help you discern if that's the case.
 
Last edited:

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How well Black Clover older volumes are doing?

I don't any see of them on Amazon.jp rankings, looks like Black Clover won't have any boost.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How well Black Clover older volumes are doing?

I don't any of them on Amazon.jp rankings, looks like Black Clover won't have any boost.
It takes a few episodes before you see the full effect of the sales boost.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
I will use Komi Naoshi as an example because I know him more than any author. I remembered that he said his favorites at some point, so I decided to look for it.

See any romance there? Despite that, he did two romances! His oneshots are also full of romance!
He has an excellent taste by the way, but it doesn't make me like him more than I already do. His work is what makes me like him as an author.
It's not about the genre he does it's about the style and how it's define.
Furudate like Tekkon Kinkreet , and you can see thing like in how he threat the character and sometimes in the art(I remember various moment in the last match that the public feels more that it was draw by Matsumoto).
And I don't remember well Double arts, but I remember than Komi was going to the action route but was axed.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I hope there will be news on Kimetsu no Yaiba's physical release too.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
VIZ has to learn to release things before the series loses its charm, it was the same with My Hero Academia and now with TPN.
My Hero Academia was extraordinary in the beginning and I really wanted to buy the manga in the past, but now all the excitement is gone and the series has been rather boring recently. The same for TPN, the escape was not good for business, it lost its charm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top