Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Lazy recolours will never be anywhere near as awful as eyeliner, mullet and a fursuit with emphasized manboobs combo.

Far as I'm concerned, the only canon is the original manga.
Words to live by.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It is always good to remember since people are forgetting the meaning of filler nowadays.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Phrases that make people here throw me out from a cliff: Boruto has been enjoyable lately, I like it.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
It's because of how messed up the timeline of the Dragon ball franchise is. Honestly I love the series but I'm starting to become annoyed at how many free passes Dragon ball gets compared to other series. There are too many timeline plotholes and how on earth do Goten and Trunks still look like kids. No matter how big a franchise is It should not be able to get away with anything.just because of the name.

I personally liked GT and believe that super saiyan 4 is better than any DBS transformation. The downtime after arcs in Super for me is one of its strongest features.
The same way goku with 16 years still looked like a child.
Did you cared when watching Dragon Ball, so why now? (you probably didnt watch dragon ball... If that the case that explains a lot)
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
When you understand that Boruto is basically a paradise for shippers w/ overpowered kids that are as strong as some jonin w/ no training for any of the jutsus it becomes easier to digest.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
You know, despite my indifference to anything post-Toriyama manga Dragonball, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Yamcha gaiden. It's not only uses the overused isekai trope to give a fresh take on a stale international meme, but actually tells a short but very entertaining story. And it looks the part, too. Unlike many artists who have been inspired by Toriyama but didn't amount to anything else but diligent tracers like Toyotaro, Dragon Garrow Lee actually understood what made Toriyama's original artstyle so appealing. Rather than copying blindly without thought, he actually recreates the style as if it were his own which takes considerable skill. I hope there is a bright future for him in this industry, but to make sure of that, have to buy the actual book coming on November 2nd.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I basically don't acknowledge GT or Super. Not necessarily because they aren't based on the original Dragon Ball manga, but because I really don't care about the world of Dragon Ball enough. It's the same way with Boruto. I'm simply done with it.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Just a note, canon is not the opposite of filler
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
On a completely unrelated note, I wonder how the Bort manga would've done if it had the same or very similar stories and characters and such but was an original series rather than being a Naruto sequel.
It would have still been called a Naruto Clone or something to that effect. The current atmosphere is such that people are very quick to call new series clones of popular past series. This seems to be more of a cultural thing from what I see in the west compared to Japan. There, they don't mind if a story is very similar to a past series and its a testament to Jump's popularity how "tropes" previously used can still be used and people will still like the story. They acknowledge the idea of the "Jump Template" but even then continue to read the story because they like those template events. The west seems less tolerant of this. Naruto is however unfortunately used as the standard nowadays, however even then its only in cases like Heroaca and BC. Bakugou is immediately identified as the "Sasuke" of Heroaca even though his character is based off of AKIRA's Tetsuo. To begin with rival characters are nothing new to Jump, more so in these type of Battle Shounen manga.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
The same way goku with 16 years still looked like a child.
Did you cared when watching Dragon Ball, so why now? (you probably didnt watch dragon ball... If that the case that explains a lot)
Wasn’t it always stated that Saiyans age differently than humans?
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It never lost the pace in my point of view though.
I think changes of editor are standard procedure to rotate the experiences, the authors just don't say much about that.
What manga is this in your avatar? lol
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Toriyama barely has more to do with Super than he did with GT.
Far as I'm concerned, the only canon is the original manga. Which even then doesn't respect the canon it sets for itself.
Toriyama has more to do with Super (and the anime since the previous movies) than he had with GT. He made the plot for Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F and now with Super new arcs for Toei and V-Jump manga by Toyotaro. He's also doing the character design for the anime and manga and helping Toyotaro in the manga because he can do this since he's a mangaka.

And of course, Super is canon, unlike GT.

EDIT: Nevermind, you're talking that you only count the original manga.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
You know, despite my indifference to anything post-Toriyama manga Dragonball, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Yamcha gaiden. It's not only uses the overused isekai trope to give a fresh take on a stale international meme, but actually tells a short but very entertaining story. And it looks the part, too. Unlike many artists who have been inspired by Toriyama but didn't amount to anything else but diligent tracers like Toyotaro, Dragon Garrow Lee actually understood what made Toriyama's original artstyle so appealing. Rather than copying blindly without thought, he actually recreates the style as if it were his own which takes considerable skill. I hope there is a bright future for him in this industry, but to make sure of that, have to buy the actual book coming on November 2nd.
his OPM x DBZ and Dragon Ball but with Vegeta as mc and Yuusha Yoshihiko doujins are great too

If DGL starts his own manga in Jump and it becomes successful I might break down and cry tears of joy, I want him to be successful so bad

speaking of Yuusha Yoshihiko
Hero = Tanjiro
Murasaki = Nezuko
Danjo = Inosuke
Merebu =Zenitsu

good luck reading KnY without constantly seeing this
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It always works... Every time I change avatars. You guys should look for more cute girls and less brawny guys. :derp
It is from 可愛い上司を困らせたい: https://goo.gl/CtjyqM
What's the name of this in romaji or english? haha
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Last edited:

AllEyez

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
80
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Country
Mariejoa
how can anyone still argue GT is canon after watching/reading Super?

Super takes place before GT, but the events of Super have not affected the world and characters of GT
where are Super powerup in GT? where are Gohan/Kirllin/Vegeta developments? where are the gods of destruction?

give up dudes, Super erased GT
I think it just has to do with people's fondness for some of the good GT had like Transformations(SS4), one person brought what they like was the adventure aspect in the first arc of the series. So people want to make it canon for it to be there in the realm of canon
The real question here is why are DBZ fans the only ones who argue constantly about 'anime-canon'? I've never seen anything else even close to it, for pretty much every single other series the vast majority of people accept that the source material is canon with no arguments to be had.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
On a completely unrelated note, I wonder how the Bort manga would've done if it had the same or very similar stories and characters and such but was an original series rather than being a Naruto sequel.
most DB fans who argue about seem to be western, and unlike the big 3 a huge portion of people were raised on DB not by manga but by anime(and were kids watching it). so everything to do with the anime(s) of dragonball, people believe is canon. and take it to heart(like it/be a fan of it)

give those people the internet and mingle them with those who know what canon i. = constant debates on what is canon in DB forums


thats my take
"Oh wait, don´t mention it. We can´t enjoy it on its own. DBS can be enjoyable on its own"
With people having opinions like this I really wonder is DBSis actually good or they´re overblowing it with saying "it´s better than GT". If you watched GT before, tell me your opinions about it. Did you like it or not? For my part I say that Baby was a villain I was scared of when I was a child, but I don´t know if that might still happen now.
yeah, im neutral in this. But I'll go Super for not

as for GT I dont like or dislike it but I find it entertaining in some way. the forms were cool, I felt the fighting wasnt that good tho.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It is on the cover of the manga, man... Did you open the link? XD
Kawaii joushi wo komarasetai OR "I want to annoy the pretty boos"
The author also has a Twitter account: https://twitter.com/tachibanaroku
I saw it now. It was so small that I never saw it there. Thanks either way. hahaha
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Still no preview for next issue?
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
If DGL starts his own manga in Jump and it becomes successful I might break down and cry tears of joy, I want him to be successful so bad
That would be grand, but I'll be content even with a smaller online serialization for a smooth start. I'm still getting those Tobita Nikiichi flashbacks.

good luck reading KnY without constantly seeing this
I love Kimetsu no Yaiba dorks too much for anyone else to replace them. The voice do fit though.
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Still no preview for next issue?
you want the preview because you want Golem Hearts pic right?
it's just going to be a bigger version this pic in black and white


I'm still getting those Tobita Nikiichi flashbacks.
I'm still shaking
RIP How I stalked some old dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword
RIP Monster x Monster
RIP Shinobi Gataki
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have been mostly away from here because people are only talking about new series and Dragon Ball (really? still?). I don't understand the hype, the round doesn't inspire me a lot of credibility...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top