Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Freid

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,211
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So I've just watched the latest Ring movie, and to no one's surprise evil wins in this one too. I can't even remember the last horror movie I watched that had a happy ending. In any case, I always enjoy the Ring movies but I wish Samara wasn't so vengeful. I mean she's always sending people on long ass quests to free her or some shit but then kills them in the end anyway. The main character this time even gets to the source of her curse and it almost looks like Samara might be forgiving this time around but nope. Of course not. That girl's never satisfied. I get that she's a demon and she gotta do demon things but it's really disappointing when she almost appears to have some semblance of reason but never fails to remind us that 'it won't stop' and all those people who help recover her hidden body and the source of birth so she can be free can still just die.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
The Snowman was pretty meh. Giving it a 3/10 since I had high expectations for it.

The Mountain Between Us was also meh, maybe 6/10. The love story ruined it, if done better I would've really liked the film. The end was so cringe...

I watched those and not Blade Runner :fail
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1922 (Netflix film) 8 / 10

Another film based on a short story by Stephen King and much like 2007's The Mist, this stars Thomas Jane as the main character again. I think, this was much better than "The Mist" considering the limited cast and plot. This adaptation was done right and I enjoyed it considerably.

p.s., The "Mr. Mercedes" series is really, really done well and lives up to the book it's based on. The cast did a wonderful job portraying all the characters and they actually depicted graphic happenings from the book in this film. Highly recommend watching if, you like the book and Stephen King. :super
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Finally got around to seeing the new Blade Runner and boy do I have a different take on than critics did.

Like 80% is the main dude walking slowly through a room while dramatic music plays.. Then getting to a place where a conversation is supposed to happen but just stands there says little if anything and then slowly walks to the next room. The end was decent the rest was pretty terrible. The plot wasn't even that interesting and most of what it did have went nowhere. It was just essentially 3 hours of boredom. With one pretty good scene at the end. That's it.

And Jared Leto....sweet lord, Jared Leto. His character was so damn bad. Just in every way.

4/10 for me.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Thor Ragnarok 7 / 10

Much better than "The Dark World" and more excitement and action than the first film as well. All the characters were balanced out very well and the story was pretty basic. I thought, Hela was actually one of the best villains they've introduced in the entire MCU for awhile now. You actually have some investment in her and what she's trying to accomplish. Did feel like "Guardians of the Galaxy" a little, but that's not a bad thing. :super


p.s., Two weeks from now, "Justice League" can't wait. :spaz
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
The last thing I actually watched was Atomic Blond.

I have no words for it other than absolutely boring and entirely predictable. If I wasn't so damn tired having left, I would have demanded my money back. There was one point in the movie were the 90-100lb woman tosses a behemoth of a man and completely and unbelievably obliterates the man in hand-to-hand combat.

I was utterly unimpressed.

2/5

I'm gonna go see the latest Thor Ragnarok as soon as I can or Justice League as much as it fills me with doubt, or I'll probably just wait the long wait for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. It'll be epic. I feel it in me bones. :super
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just saw Thor. 10/10 for me.

It's either my new favorite marvel movie or my second favorite behind Guardians 2. Haven't decided yet. I loved how it just took the comedy aspect of Thor and ran with it. That style gave it a different feel from the previous movies which I think was a good thing. It was pure fun.

Also loved Cate Blanchett as Hela. Wasn't sure how that was going to go judging just from the trailers but she actually became one of my favorite of the marvel villains. Mainly because of how she feels like a real character whose actions and goals match with who she is. So she really does make sense and not just in a "this is a crazy person" kind of way. I hope we see that character again.
 
Last edited:

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, Thor was awesome. Go see it if you haven't. My personal favorite Marvel film was Guardians 1.
I've actually picked up my tickets to both Justice League and Star Wars... why pick them up so early? They were selling out already. Especially the Star Wars tickets. If I didn't get them this early, they'd be sold out for the first week already. :XD
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
How is the Thor movie compared to the others, and other Marvel movies? Is it mostly comical, with a speck of story peppered on top, or does it actually have a strong story driven by the main cast? I'm trying to make a decision on what tickets to get, Justice League or Thor, but I'd hate to waste my time and rubli on a comedy.

Anyways, anyone here ever watch Byzantium? If so, what did you think about it? It is currently on Netflix and it got me thinking about what others might have thought about it. I vaguely remember people complaining when it was released that it was too docile for a vampire movie, but I thought it was rather genius.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Thor is awesome! It is hysterically funny, and yet it has a plot and detailed characters.... the main villain anyway. Many characters pop up that if you follow Marvel comics, you may recognize some of them. I haven't really followed Thor's comics ever, but I still really enjoyed it.

Personally, if you insist on only seeing EITHER Thor or Justice League, then watch Thor. I'm hoping Justice League will be good, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Batman vs Superman.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
Thor is awesome! It is hysterically funny, and yet it has a plot and detailed characters.... the main villain anyway. Many characters pop up that if you follow Marvel comics, you may recognize some of them. I haven't really followed Thor's comics ever, but I still really enjoyed it.

Personally, if you insist on only seeing EITHER Thor or Justice League, then watch Thor. I'm hoping Justice League will be good, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Batman vs Superman.
I will admit Marvel is not as interesting to me as DC and so I follow their comics with less enthusiasm, but I am familiar with a lot of Marvel heavy hitters. So long as it is comprehensible, I won't mind in the end. I have one more question though: how much Hulk is actually in the movie? Mark Ruffalo's portray is my absolute favorite of Hulk and I was very disappointed to learn we would not get a movie for him. I'm hoping that this movie at least has a good portion of him in it. It isn't a turn off if it isn't so, but it would definitely be a huge bonus. :gar

As for picking, I might throw aside money to see both if I can afford it, but it might not be a sure thing so I'd like to see what has the best chance of being better. I also have my doubts for the very same reason. Although Wonder Woman was good, BvS was barely decent (though I love the portrayal of Superman by Henry Cavill). :emocat
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Hulk? What? Does Hulk appear in this movie? Just Kidding! Yeah, he's there... in most of the movie. He's very entertaining as well, and frequently does unexpected things.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I will admit Marvel is not as interesting to me as DC and so I follow their comics with less enthusiasm, but I am familiar with a lot of Marvel heavy hitters. So long as it is comprehensible, I won't mind in the end. I have one more question though: how much Hulk is actually in the movie? Mark Ruffalo's portray is my absolute favorite of Hulk and I was very disappointed to learn we would not get a movie for him. I'm hoping that this movie at least has a good portion of him in it. It isn't a turn off if it isn't so, but it would definitely be a huge bonus. :gar

As for picking, I might throw aside money to see both if I can afford it, but it might not be a sure thing so I'd like to see what has the best chance of being better. I also have my doubts for the very same reason. Although Wonder Woman was good, BvS was barely decent (though I love the portrayal of Superman by Henry Cavill). :emocat
Hulk is in it a lot. The storyline draws heavily from the Planet Hulk plot actually.

You should got into this expecting a movie that it isn't really like any other Marvel movie. This is an Action/Comedy and not just in the sense of Thor throwing out one liners. It's really about Thor being Thor in the most hilarious ways. Same for Loki and Hulk.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Hulk is in it a lot. The storyline draws heavily from the Planet Hulk plot actually.

You should got into this expecting a movie that it isn't really like any other Marvel movie. This is an Action/Comedy and not just in the sense of Thor throwing out one liners. It's really about Thor being Thor in the most hilarious ways. Same for Loki and Hulk.
The scene when he returns to Asgard had everyone in the cinema in stitches. You know the one I mean :wowsoBOB

And yes I agree with the guys that commented on the movie here. I don't know if I'd give it a 10/10 but it is very good.

It was a great to see the old Loki and Thor moments where their times had more comedic elements to it than the sense of betrayal that we always saw in Dark World.

I liked Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Hela as well as the character as a villain, she was impressive. Moreso than Loki or Malekith... Definitely more than Malekith.

I was so surprised but glad at how much Banner/Hulk we got to see in the movie. He was so good.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1922 (Netflix film) 8 / 10

Another film based on a short story by Stephen King and much like 2007's The Mist, this stars Thomas Jane as the main character again. I think, this was much better than "The Mist" considering the limited cast and plot. This adaptation was done right and I enjoyed it considerably.

p.s., The "Mr. Mercedes" series is really, really done well and lives up to the book it's based on. The cast did a wonderful job portraying all the characters and they actually depicted graphic happenings from the book in this film. Highly recommend watching if, you like the book and Stephen King. :super
Watched 1922...pretty creepy indeed xD
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
Alright! You all convinced me! Thor: Ragnarok it is! I'll go see it in a couple of days*. I can't wait to see Hulk and Hela! :fangirl2


Has anyone watched The Glass Castle yet? If so, what did you think about it? Also, how about The Room?

*lol originally said "times" need more sleep
 
Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Has anyone watched The Glass Castle yet? If so, what did you think about it? Also, how about The Room?


You mean The Disaster Artist? If so, apparently it’s out in December in the U.S. No release date anywhere else yet afaik. It might just be my number one “to-see” film this year. The Room is one of my favorite films ever, and The Disaster Artist book was fantastic.

The Glass Castle looks okay but trailers make it out to be another Oscar-y generic drama.. might be faulty advertising though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Feck me this looks gorgeous.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
So...apparently Disney is trying to buy 21st Century Fox. I guess they don't want to stop until they own it all! lol



You mean The Disaster Artist? If so, apparently it’s out in December in the U.S. No release date anywhere else yet afaik. It might just be my number one “to-see” film this year. The Room is one of my favorite films ever, and The Disaster Artist book was fantastic.

The Glass Castle looks okay but trailers make it out to be another Oscar-y generic drama.. might be faulty advertising though.
The movie with Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson in it. I thought its name was "The Glass Castle" and was released August 11th this year. Well, anyway, I was just wondering if anyone saw them and could discuss Larsons acting performance.

(also, love the gif choice!)

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Feck me this looks gorgeous.
It does, but strangely that kind of art freaks me out. :XD
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
The movie with Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson in it. I thought its name was "The Glass Castle" and was released August 11th this year. Well, anyway, I was just wondering if anyone saw them and could discuss Larsons acting performance.

It does, but strangely that kind of art freaks me out. :XD
Ah yeah, The Glass Castle is the new one you’re talking about. And yeah, the film “Room” from a few years ago also stars Brie Larson. So now I get the connection you were making. x)

I guess I’m just so psyched about The Disaster Artist which is about the making of The Room that such connections are lost on me. :XD

Brie Larson was pretty amazing in Room but I thought the film was a little overrated (though that might be because I read the book).
 
Top