Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
There's plenty of room for competition, and it's what Jump wants and needs.

In 1998 we had JoJo, Kenshin, Hoshin Engi, Takeshi, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, and Shaman King all running together. Plus other really popular series of other genres.

2004 we had One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Shaman King, Naruto, Black Cat, Bleach, Buso Renkin, Reborn, D. Gray Man, and Muhyo and Roji.

The best periods of Jump are always ones with lots of battle manga competition.

Right now having just One Piece, My Hero Academia, Black Clover, and Kimetsu no Yaiba aren't really quite scratching that weekly battle competition itch.

I want Shiibashi and Utsumi to come back soon.
Yeah i feel like My Hero Academia is doing great but One Piece is still on top. I'm not caught up but just from seeing ratings and people's comments on them. Maaaybe Golem Hearts will do something?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States

saw this tweet from the same guy. anyone know what’s the source of the image? those are some pretty big claims to make for a rookie.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I couldn’t give a damn about Golem Hearts specifically. I just want another adventure/battle shounen, and GH is rhe first one we’ve had this year (shh, U19 never existed). Last year we had Demon’s Plan, Red Sprite and Ibitsu, all of which were weak shit. Yaiba was a great addition though, but that means its been 18+ months since we even got a decent attempt at the genre...

Aside that, there’s just OP, MHA and BC currently, and I don’t think I have to explain why BC doesn’t satisfy my itch for the genre much. WT is on hiatus (sob), and we’ve yet to have a single series replace Bleach/Toriko. So vs 4 battles, We have 5 sports, 4 comedies and 3 romcoms currently.

Why are people getting annoyed, the genre is incredibly sparse in the magazine atm, so its completely reasonable people want another good one and its been ages since an even remotely decent attempt.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I like Shiibashi, I have NuraMago in my shelf, but I think he already had a lot of chances in the past couple of years. I think he has to pair up with someone and be responsible with only the drawings.
Funny enough, his last one shot after finishing Illegal Rare was done in a pair with him as the artist and another doing the story. He also did another OS during its run were he only did the art too.

There’s nothing wrong with his story telling though tbh. Illegal Rare was probably one of, if not the strongest series to get cancelled early in recent years. Initial sales were great too. If it had started now, it’d probably be doing great considering the current competition, or lack thereof...
 
Last edited:

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Takamasa Moue new mc reminds me of something but I can't remember what

I couldn’t give a damn about Golem Hearts specifically. I just want another adventure/battle shounen, and GH is the first one we’ve had this year (shh, U19 never existed). Last year we had Demon’s Plan, Red Sprite and Ibitsu, all of which were weak shit. Yaiba was a great addition though, but that means its been 18+ months since we even got a decent attempt at the genre...

Aside that, there’s just OP, MHA and BC currently, and I don’t think I have to explain why BC doesn’t satisfy my itch for the genre much. WT is on hiatus (sob), and we’ve yet to have a single series replace Bleach/Toriko. So vs 4 battles, We have 5 sports, 4 comedies and 3 romcoms currently.

Why are people getting annoyed, the genre is incredibly sparse in the magazine atm, so its completely reasonable people want another good one and its been ages since an even remotely decent attempt.
does this new battle/adventure manga have to be in WSJ? you said it yourself it's been 18 months and it might be longer if GH flops
if you check out WSM or WSS for something you like the wait for something in WSJ won't be as frustrating
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I will never understand this marketing method of actually saying "大プッシュ中!!!" or something along the lines of "Giving it a big push!". Wouldn't it actually work against you? If the series becomes a success, there will be people that say "That's expected based on that push". If it fails to meet expectations proportional to the push, they'll bash the series. Can anyone with a marketing background/working in marketing explain this kind of promotion? Kimetsu is on an upward trend but I don't see the need to say "It's in the middle of a BIG push!!!". I remember they did the same with BC, Samon and some others and Samon never grew even a little despite the big push and eventually ended and BC's growth after that was lukewarm at best. They might eventually do the same with Dr. Stone. I just can't wrap my head around this kind of promotion.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
bachelor's degree in business administration here, marketing was my secondary major

I have no clue why would they do that, why would you share a mandate with people that don't work for you? I have 3 guesses

1- maybe it's their weird way in building brand loyalty, basically if the fans knew their series is being push they will feel more invested in it because they know for sure it won't go anywhere and won't abandon it easily

2- it could be them trying to get the hardcore fans to help them with the pushing, with the fans pushing it to other fans

3- maybe they don't understand the term "push" and its negative connotation, so they're using it wrong, it's Japan after all
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
does this new battle/adventure manga have to be in WSJ? you said it yourself it's been 18 months and it might be longer if GH flops
if you check out WSM or WSS for something you like the wait for something in WSJ won't be as frustrating
Of course not, but that doesn’t change the fact they’re lacking in the magazine. Especially when its generally considered WSJ’s strong point.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
For me, on the other hand, I really don't care about the genre, principally battle shounen that has been pretty bad recently (don't read WT, BC and Dr. Stone because I think it is low quality, therefore my opinion that it has been weak is older), I just want good mangas and Jump has been going well, I think there has been more successes than in the lastest years.

I'm against things like Tomatoy though, they made it the last series in the magazine, now it will not end any time soon, like Isobee we will have to tolerate the series in the magazine although it is boring as hell and sell less than the majority of the series that will be canceled in this period.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
I just read Golem Hearts (it was already translated in my country), the first chapter for me was ok, it was not something that made me excited to see the second chapter like Dr.Stone, WNL or other manga, but it was not something either bad.
He reminded Pinocchio in some parts.
I hope the manga in a few chapters is something similar to the one-shot that was released earlier this year.

I'll wait a few more chapters to see if my hype was in vain.

By the way, the new Robot x Laserbeam chapter showed a new stylish way to have a triumphal entry before playing a game.
LoL
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
For me, on the other hand, I really don't care about the genre, principally battle shounen that has been pretty bad recently (don't read WT, BC and Dr. Stone because I think it is low quality, therefore my opinion that it has been weak is older), I just want good mangas and Jump has been going well, I think there has been more successes than in the lastest years.

I'm against things like Tomatoy though, they made it the last series in the magazine, now it will not end any time soon, like Isobee we will have to tolerate the series in the magazine although it is boring as hell and sell less than the majority of the series that will be canceled in this period.
eh, how do you know they're low quality if you just said you don't read them?

also, Stone isn't a battle manga, if I had to describe it, it's like if someone made a manga about the farming part in rpgs
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Takamasa Moue new mc reminds me of something but I can't remember what




I like his character designs for his works
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't hate it, it reminds me of something, I just don't know what

finished reading Golem Heart ch1

the creator doesn't die, so unless they start traveling together this won't be an adventure manga
although he does have a huge death flag
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
ok, I skimmed through the first oneshot

he doesn't die in it either, just a death fake out
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Link?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Neverland and MHA both very exciting this week
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top