Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
While I liked the dynamic between Lamech and Noah. I think the series should have spent a bit more time on their shared history and developed Lamech a bit more. Or barring that explain how the Golem system works in better detail.
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I think Golem Hearts is for the moment trying to be more into the adventure and touching stuff (like a Kino's Journey Shonen Jump version). It could be an interesting and original way to direct this manga. Only other Jump manga I remind it was that way were Double Arts and Asklepios, and I remember they were very liked.

Bad thing is these types of manga get quickly axed in Jump, so let's wait and see (I think Golem Hearts will get a better chance since the manga was accepted very quickly after the oneshot).

I loved the first chapter. Noah and his creator interactions were cute. Also, I find Lamech character very original and funny.

Let's see how the story develops. It has great potential.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I actually like the relationship between Asta and Yuno so much more than Deku and Bakugo's. The latter is much more forced and generic than the former.
You know when your two leads have to point out the fact that "they're rivals" to people you come off as more forced in comparison. The only people pinning Deku and Bakugou as "rivals" is Ochako with her commentary but I feel the fact that they're competing for the same goal speaks more than them just flat out stating it.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,073
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think Golem Hearts is for the moment trying to be more into the adventure and touching stuff (like a Kino's Journey Shonen Jump version)
what is a kino's journey?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I can sorta predict what chapter 2 will be for Golem Heart. So far it's pretty bland.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
You know when your two leads have to point out the fact that "they're rivals" to people you come off as more forced in comparison. The only people pinning Deku and Bakugou as "rivals" is Ochako with her commentary but I feel the fact that they're competing for the same goal speaks more than them just flat out stating it.
I don't consider Deku and Bakugo as rivals. Their whole relationship is just plain and boring to me, just like their characters for the most part. Atleast Asta and Yuno are bros, even if they're shallow themselves.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Golem hearts lacks the huge emotional punch that traditional battle shounen manga have in their first chapters. Look back in history, hit battle shounen have some emotional event with a big climax. OP's Luffy and Shanks' promise, Naruto and Iruka's scene, etc. Even HxH, as twisted as it is from a traditional battle shounen manga, had some emotional punch with Mito and Kite but also focused on the world itself. Golem hearts seems to be trying both, having that punch and setting up its world but it falls short somewhere. This can easily be rectified but the biggest problem to me is the expansion of the world. Hopefully the next chapters further delve into what it means to be a scholar of sorcery and what Golem arts are. The actual Level 5 Paladin art itself is fine as this is the first chapter. Stuff like that can be easily forgiven. Art wise, it was fine for the most part though I did have some dificulty following the way the Paladin sword cut the Military Golem.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think I prefer the art style the one shot had over the one the series has now, because now the characters look kind of blocky to me. Chapter one gave me the idea that this series is going to be a watered down version of Astro Boy.

Well one thing that bothered me in Naruto was the first Naruto and Sasuke fight. It's an amazing and iconic battle. But one part that always got me was when Naruto started calling Sasuke his bestfriend and brother. To which I thought "really?".
I always saw that him and Sasuke were definitely friends. But I never got the impression that they were best friends. Or had a brotherly bond. Up to that point they just felt like friends that had a respect for each that they were ashamed to admit. Do Naruto's obsession to bring Sasuke back that lasted the entire series always felt weird to me.

With Asta and Yuno I actually get the impression that they're that close. That they consider each other brothers. Ect. It's nice to me that they have this rivalry, but there's a genuine bond between them.

However, with that being said, Naruto and Sasuke are far better characters
Naruto and Sasuke's relation ship always came across as forced to me because I wouldn't necessarily call them friends heck I wouldn't even call them acquaintances before the battle at the valley of the end. In my opinion they just tolerated each others presence in the team because it was just a means to an end had either been given the choice, before the first incredibly forced Naruto vs. Sasuke fight, they wouldn't be anywhere near each other.

I agree that just by how they've interacted with each other in the few times they have in the manga Asta and Yuno have a deep bond with the brotherly rivalry that sometimes pops up between people who've grown up together. Also I never really seen Asta and Yuno as being in any way similar to Naruto and Sasuke.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Enjoyed Golem Hearts quite a lot. It's nothing amazing, but I like it.

The Scholar was pretty fun to me. And I think Noah was a pretty cute and likable MC.
I like that his life goal is simply "I want to help everybody" mainly because it falls in line with the whole purpose of Golems. It would be interesting if he develops into wanting his own goals and living for himself in the future.
The art and designs were pretty good, and the action was easy to follow.

Not going to say "this is the future of Jump", or "this will definitely not get axed".
But I enjoyed it more than most of the first chapters of the new series this year. The only first chapters I think I liked more were Shoodan and We Never Learn(and maybe Poro).So I'd like to see where it goes.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I planned not to trigger anybody with my opinions about TPN anymore, but this image... Man, Posuka Demizu could draw a series with more things like this...
TPN has been a waste of her talent so far.

 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well the thing is, they didn't seem to interact much as friends until they were on a team together.
And around that time Naruto started gaining respect from a lot of people. Kakashi, Sakura, Shikamaru, Rock Lee, Kiba, Neji, Choji, ect.
Don't get me wrong, I fully get that Sasuke and him were friends. But he seemed to have gained a lot of friends. so the hell "you're like my brother!!!" Just felt kind of out of nowhere. Nothing about them before that seemed to imply that their bond was THAT close.

Mind you this is just a nitpick for me. Not a major stain on the series
I get you. Can't remember if it was anime original or canon to the manga but they interacted with each other prior to being on Team 7.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I planned not to trigger anybody with my opinions about TPN anymore, but this image... Man, Posuka Demizu could draw a series with more things like this...
TPN has been a waste of her talent so far.

WHEN IS THE NEXT ARTBOOK??!!!??!!?!?!?!?!
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I get you. Can't remember if it was anime original or canon to the manga but they interacted with each other prior to being on Team 7.
The only part I remember was them smiling at each other while Naruto was sitting at the lake.
But there's not really an intense before joining team 7 where I felt like they were friends
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't consider Deku and Bakugo as rivals. Their whole relationship is just plain and boring to me, just like their characters for the most part. Atleast Asta and Yuno are bros, even if they're shallow themselves.
We'll agree to disagree then.
Well one thing that bothered me in Naruto was the first Naruto and Sasuke fight. It's an amazing and iconic battle. But one part that always got me was when Naruto started calling Sasuke his bestfriend and brother. To which I thought "really?".
I always saw that him and Sasuke were definitely friends. But I never got the impression that they were best friends. Or had a brotherly bond. Up to that point they just felt like friends that had a respect for each that they were ashamed to admit. Do Naruto's obsession to bring Sasuke back that lasted the entire series always felt weird to me.

With Asta and Yuno I actually get the impression that they're that close. That they consider each other brothers. Ect. It's nice to me that they have this rivalry, but there's a genuine bond between them.

However, with that being said, Naruto and Sasuke are far better characters
Really? I never did. They tolerated each other but were far from friends so by the time the Sasuke Retrieval Arc came about and he's talking about how they're "best friends" I rolled my eyes hard. I think it was there that Kishimoto's writing really started falling apart since then he pretty much kept backtracking trying to push that Sasuke and Naruto had been friends in flashbacks to their childhoods despite hating each other since they were first introduce. I guess I can give BC some benefit of the doubt that Yuno and Asta's friendship has been set in stone since the beginning as shallow and forced as it is.

I get you. Can't remember if it was anime original or canon to the manga but they interacted with each other prior to being on Team 7.
The anime doesn't do much with it but the manga does do a lot of flashbacks to their academy days when Naruto to the flunk and Sasuke was the star and how they were always competing with one another like a friendly rivalry que chapter 3 of the manga and they act like complete strangers with a one sided rivalry on Naruto's side.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
We'll agree to disagree then.

Really? I never did. They tolerated each other but were far from friends so by the time the Sasuke Retrieval Arc came about and he's talking about how they're "best friends" I rolled my eyes hard. I think it was there that Kishimoto's writing really started falling apart since then he pretty much kept backtracking trying to push that Sasuke and Naruto had been friends in flashbacks to their childhoods despite hating each other since they were first introduce. I guess I can give BC some benefit of the doubt that Yuno and Asta's friendship has been set in stone since the beginning as shallow and forced as it is.


The anime doesn't do much with it but the manga does do a lot of flashbacks to their academy days when Naruto to the flunk and Sasuke was the star and how they were always competing with one another like a friendly rivalry que chapter 3 of the manga and they act like complete strangers with a one sided rivalry on Naruto's side.
I guess I'm being a little generous. But yeah I saw them as friends. Just not particulately close friends. Sorta like those friends you have in school that you only talk to because you have a few classes together. But outside of school you don't talk to them.

What I like about Deku and Bakugo is that they have a similar rivalry. However, If you asked Deku is Bakugo was his friend, he would probably have to think about it. And Bakugo's answer would be a clear no.
Deku clearly respects and admires Bakugo, but he definitely wouldn't put Bakugo high on his list of friends
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Golem Hearts first chapter was solid but unspectacular. I love the art and I think the emotional beats were hit well enough to resonate with the reader but the endgame goal is the usual for Jump heroes so that could appear bland and boring. Like ShenGao said Level 5: Pauldin was too convenient but it's similar to the power boost when all else fails or when a character is cornered so I'll get them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Hear me out on this thought: get rid of or kill off the master and introduce the heroine so we can get to the worldbuilding and adventure with the swiftness. The master's character and personality pass the eye test but he's just not interesting enough to be a main part of the show. Also a timeskip would be nice like how MHA did one early on. I like teenage Noah much more than kid Noah.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Golem Hearts first chapter was solid but unspectacular. I love the art and I think the emotional beats were hit well enough to resonate with the reader but the endgame goal is the usual for Jump heroes so that could appear bland and boring. Like ShenGao said Level 5: Pauldin was too convenient but it's similar to the power boost when all else fails or when a character is cornered so I'll get them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Hear me out on this thought: get rid of or kill off the master and introduce the heroine so we can get to the worldbuilding and adventure with the swiftness. The master's character and personality pass the eye test but he's just not interesting enough to be a main part of the show. Also a timeskip would be nice like how MHA did one early on. I like teenage Noah much more than kid Noah.
The end did say they'll only be together "for a little longer". So I feel like he won't be in the series super long. Either he'll die or they'll split up. And if he dies, I suppose keeping him around for a few chapters could benefit the impact of his death
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Golem Hearts first chapter was solid but unspectacular. I love the art and I think the emotional beats were hit well enough to resonate with the reader but the endgame goal is the usual for Jump heroes so that could appear bland and boring. Like ShenGao said Level 5: Pauldin was too convenient but it's similar to the power boost when all else fails or when a character is cornered so I'll get them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Hear me out on this thought: get rid of or kill off the master and introduce the heroine so we can get to the worldbuilding and adventure with the swiftness. The master's character and personality pass the eye test but he's just not interesting enough to be a main part of the show. Also a timeskip would be nice like how MHA did one early on. I like teenage Noah much more than kid Noah.
I also thought it was ok but probably not captivating enough to survive. The thing I wanna see most is the world and how it operates. Anyways, It's never about the goal but the journey anyways. If it survives I think there's some sort of time skip where he teaches Noah how to write the art
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Surprised over the mixed reception Golem Hearts is getting after years of people hyping the one-shot. I thought it was fine personally.
I guess I'm being a little generous. But yeah I saw them as friends. Just not particulately close friends. Sorta like those friends you have in school that you only talk to because you have a few classes together. But outside of school you don't talk to them.
I still wouldn't go so far as to call them "friends" but Sasuke acknowledging Naruto's strength was a big first step in their relationships and then there's the battle with Haku where he told Naruto not to give up on his dream when he thought he was going to die. Its complicated since Kishi's writing was so shakey before it became downright shit in Part 2 so you'll have character doing shit that didn't make sense in order to move the plot and then retcon things that are hilarious in hindsight (Itachi before he became a good guy) so yeah maybe they were friends and not besties that Kishi kept pushing since the Retrieval arc.

What I like about Deku and Bakugo is that they have a similar rivalry. However, If you asked Deku is Bakugo was his friend, he would probably have to think about it. And Bakugo's answer would be a clear no.
Deku clearly respects and admires Bakugo, but he definitely wouldn't put Bakugo high on his list of friends
Nah he hates him too, maybe not as much as Bakugou hates him but he doesn't go out of his way to try to be friends with him. Like if Bakugou actually turned to the dark side he would be more disappointed in him than crying and forgiving him like Naruto did.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yeah no bullshit on that, the journey was set up pretty well. That, the art, and the golem techs will carry the series on the early on but the heroine has to on point and useful. She was fine in the one shot and from the looks of it she was drawn better on the color page so that's one good thing so far. I got flashbacks to Demon Plan's heroine... she was too trash, too annoying, and just too random in the story.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top