After seeing its colorpage, I was curious and wanted to read more.
Well, it's meh for me.
The protagonist is bland, and that witch lady is annoying and let me roll my eyes. I'm aware that the scenes with the other "members of the magic society" should awake interest into this world, but not only did it took the attention to the mother-son plot, but it also took away the tension about the faced crows & "underwearman". Changing the beginning with a flashback of the protagonist and his mother, and then mentioning in school the suspicious people, who are seen at night, without going in detail about underwearman would have been better. Because by then witch lady's alignment would be more in question.
And the whole exposition dump in the middle of the one shot was gruesome. Should've been cut and instead adding parts of it to the mother's letter, because I've liked the idea how it was used in the fight against the crow guy.
Also, didnt like the reaction of the protagonist to the revelation of his mother. I know it's in the Hero's Journey the "Refusal of the Call", but was definitley a frustrating one & could've been better handled.
Overall, not something really noteworthy. The protagonist was bland, bc he was forced from one scene to the next, making him uninteresting, the exposition wasnt well handled and overall too much here and there with the attention of the narrative. I kinda like the artstyle, but at this point, I wouldnt rly care if this gets an actual manga.