Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
Ah yeah, The Glass Castle is the new one you’re talking about. And yeah, the film “Room” from a few years ago also stars Brie Larson. So now I get the connection you were making. x)

I guess I’m just so psyched about The Disaster Artist which is about the making of The Room that such connections are lost on me. :XD

Brie Larson was pretty amazing in Room but I thought the film was a little overrated (though that might be because I read the book).
I probably should have specified "2017" after, but in my defense I had no idea there was an older movie with that exact name. :HahaI was bringing it up to eventually ask what you guys thought about Brie being cast as Captain Marvel and if you thought she could pull it off. I've only really seen her in The Room so I can't really say what I think. :sweat

Also, I had no idea The Room was also a book.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So...apparently Disney is trying to buy 21st Century Fox. I guess they don't want to stop until they own it all! lol
At least they would finally get back the Spiderman and X-Men rights.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
At least they would finally get back the Spiderman and X-Men rights.
I hadn't thought of X-men at all! This could be very interesting though I very much like the direction of the X-men related TV shows. If this deal goes through, I hope they don't push the (complete) comedic direction from their movies onto the existing shows. It would disappoint me.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hadn't thought of X-men at all! This could be very interesting though I very much like the direction of the X-men related TV shows. If this deal goes through, I hope they don't push the (complete) comedic direction from their movies onto the existing shows. It wouldn't disappoint me.
Then they could finally stop pushing inhumans too. That would be fantastic.

Nobody likes inhumans as a concept. Like ever.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
Then they could finally stop pushing inhumans too. That would be fantastic.

Nobody likes inhumans as a concept. Like ever.
If people say they like the concept, what they really mean is they like a few Inhuman characters. :lmao

I think the problem with Inhumans is that they too closely resemble Mutants that you wonder, "what's the point"? I mean I like some of the origin stories to Inhumans (Kree etc) but overall its pretty boring, though I can't say mutation is something to brag about it certainly has more on it than Inhumans.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If people say they like the concept, what they really mean is they like a few Inhuman characters. :lmao

I think the problem with Inhumans is that they too closely resemble Mutants that you wonder, "what's the point"? I mean I like some of the origin stories to Inhumans (Kree etc) but overall its pretty boring, though I can't say mutation is something to brag about it certainly has more on it than Inhumans.
They resemble the mutants because that's what they are. Just an inferior version of it. Lots of mutants are aliens too, after all. Phoenix for example.

Disney was trying to sell them as the new X-Men for the last few years and it was never going to work. Because even most marvel fans probably can't name 3 inumans characters but most can name at least half a dozen X-Men.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
They resemble the mutants because that's what they are. Just an inferior version of it. Lots of mutants are aliens too, after all.
Yes, but I was trying to distinguish them from X-men mutants, which for some reason they are within the comics. At least that was the way it was the last time I picked up one of their comic series. They reboot and redo origins so much though that I can't keep up. :emocat

Disney was trying to sell them as the new X-Men for the last few years and it was never going to work. Because even most marvel fans probably can't name 3 inumans characters but most can name at least half a dozen X-Men.
Poor Disney. They know they lost out now having never bought the X-men rights. I'd imagine Inhumans could have been far better than what they gave us at the very lease, but they half-assed it because they didn't think they'd need to/want to expand on it. Well, now if they lose the deal, they'll regret the Inhumans even more.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,312
Reaction score
24,932
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Anyone seen thor yet? I gotta say I liked the movie more than the other two...

At first when seeing the movie I was kinda skeptical of the sci fi soundtrack in it but then it grew on me. It was fun seeing thor in a rather sci fi scenario at least. I guess that is what jumpstarted the thor movies to begin with, being thrown powerless into a different world and whatnot.

I enjoyed the humor however I didn't like what it did to the movie as a whole. There are a few scenes which were comedic which I would have prefered if they were a tad more serious. Take the sultur bit. Sultur's design could have seen somewhat less silly.

Another bit which specifically annoyed me was when thor fought hulk. The fight itself was awesome but then you get to the moment where hulk grabs thor's hammer and thor smiles almost apologetically. I mean, what? Humor is good and all but in this case they kinda butchered thor for a gag.

Hela was great. finally a thor villain I would like to see in another movie. Well, I guess there is loki for that however hela was great enough that she could easily have a place in another movie IMO. It'd be great if she supports thanos.

One bit that kinda disappointed me was thor using his thunder. I mean, it was great seeing thor get a hold of his own godlike power however I was disappointed by the lack of a reference to the odinforce. Or the thorforce. Overall it is a tad weird that thor seems to still be weaker than odin even after using his powers like that. Odin held hela back until the moment he died meanwhile thor hit hela with the biggest thunder in the history of thunder and yet barely scratched her. I guess the issue here is that thor himself should still be learning how to master his powers and by the time he does so he will likely have surpassed hela. I am guessing that overall they do not want to have thor be quite as powerful as in the comic books. From what I can tell when if thor were to use the full power of the thorforce (odinforce) he should surpass non infinity gauntlet thanos. In this case thanos is probably meant to surpass even odin.

Gotta love valkarie or whatever her name was. One of the best surprises in the movie. I like her more than sif already (though I have only seen sif in the movies). At first I was kinda disappointed by how the warriors 3 died like chumps but then she appeared and I was like "Yep, I don't miss them anymore".

As for the warriors 3, I guess that given their asgardian physiology and overall status it is possible they actually survived though I don't care either way.

Gotta love the immigrant song, one of the best choices in the movie. It is so satisfying to see the song was in the trailer and also the movie. It's really terrible when a cool song is in a movie trailer but it for some reason does not make it to the movie.

Overall, I loved the movie, except for the few scenes where they butchered thor for a gag.

My big question though, why did thanos show up at the end? Well, clearly for the infinity stone however how did he know? Or perhaps he already knew but decided to show up because odin died? Or perhaps lokie signalled thanos to show up? It could also be thanos wanting to get even with loki given his failure during the first avenger movie.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Murder on the Orient Express 7 / 10

The film is pretty interesting in showcasing the main character of the film, Hercule Poirot and his amazing mustache :verily, but anyhow, the film was entertaining and the cast delivered their characters very well. There is a lot of dialogue and very little action, but it worked out fine for the tone and aspect of this movie. The film's ending was unexpected and I liked that. There are some slow parts here and there.


p.s., JUSTICE LEAGUE NEXT WEEK!!. :eek: :spaz
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anyone seen thor yet? I gotta say I liked the movie more than the other two...

At first when seeing the movie I was kinda skeptical of the sci fi soundtrack in it but then it grew on me. It was fun seeing thor in a rather sci fi scenario at least. I guess that is what jumpstarted the thor movies to begin with, being thrown powerless into a different world and whatnot.

I enjoyed the humor however I didn't like what it did to the movie as a whole. There are a few scenes which were comedic which I would have prefered if they were a tad more serious. Take the sultur bit. Sultur's design could have seen somewhat less silly.

Another bit which specifically annoyed me was when thor fought hulk. The fight itself was awesome but then you get to the moment where hulk grabs thor's hammer and thor smiles almost apologetically. I mean, what? Humor is good and all but in this case they kinda butchered thor for a gag.

Hela was great. finally a thor villain I would like to see in another movie. Well, I guess there is loki for that however hela was great enough that she could easily have a place in another movie IMO. It'd be great if she supports thanos.

One bit that kinda disappointed me was thor using his thunder. I mean, it was great seeing thor get a hold of his own godlike power however I was disappointed by the lack of a reference to the odinforce. Or the thorforce. Overall it is a tad weird that thor seems to still be weaker than odin even after using his powers like that. Odin held hela back until the moment he died meanwhile thor hit hela with the biggest thunder in the history of thunder and yet barely scratched her. I guess the issue here is that thor himself should still be learning how to master his powers and by the time he does so he will likely have surpassed hela. I am guessing that overall they do not want to have thor be quite as powerful as in the comic books. From what I can tell when if thor were to use the full power of the thorforce (odinforce) he should surpass non infinity gauntlet thanos. In this case thanos is probably meant to surpass even odin.

Gotta love valkarie or whatever her name was. One of the best surprises in the movie. I like her more than sif already (though I have only seen sif in the movies). At first I was kinda disappointed by how the warriors 3 died like chumps but then she appeared and I was like "Yep, I don't miss them anymore".

As for the warriors 3, I guess that given their asgardian physiology and overall status it is possible they actually survived though I don't care either way.

Gotta love the immigrant song, one of the best choices in the movie. It is so satisfying to see the song was in the trailer and also the movie. It's really terrible when a cool song is in a movie trailer but it for some reason does not make it to the movie.

Overall, I loved the movie, except for the few scenes where they butchered thor for a gag.

My big question though, why did thanos show up at the end? Well, clearly for the infinity stone however how did he know? Or perhaps he already knew but decided to show up because odin died? Or perhaps lokie signalled thanos to show up? It could also be thanos wanting to get even with loki given his failure during the first avenger movie.
I don't know if you remember but at one point Thanos told Loki something like "If you fail me. no matter where you run or where you hide I will find you."

Not sure what the method was but it's a good bet he can track Loki.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,312
Reaction score
24,932
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I don't know if you remember but at one point Thanos told Loki something like "If you fail me. no matter where you run or where you hide I will find you."

Not sure what the method was but it's a good bet he can track Loki.
Ah, I didn't remember that specific scene but that makes sense. So... thanos went after loki but it took him 10 years? You'd also loki would make a bigger point out of this. Well, I guess he did spend quite some time imprisoned in asgard, then posing as odin and then at that weird sci fi place in ragnarok so hiding has come without too much effort on his part. Now that I think about it, aren't asgardians idiots? Thor said he had spent his time searching the cosmos for infinity stones however loki due to his deal with thanos kinda had all the answers he was looking for. Loki even showed up with an infinity stone during the avengers movie. So... in all the time loki spent imprisoned or otherwise with thor they never bothered to ask him where he got an infinity stone and an army?
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ah, I didn't remember that specific scene but that makes sense. So... thanos went after loki but it took him 10 years? You'd also loki would make a bigger point out of this. Well, I guess he did spend quite some time imprisoned in asgard, then posing as odin and then at that weird sci fi place in ragnarok so hiding has come without too much effort on his part. Now that I think about it, aren't asgardians idiots? Thor said he had spent his time searching the cosmos for infinity stones however loki due to his deal with thanos kinda had all the answers he was looking for. Loki even showed up with an infinity stone during the avengers movie. So... in all the time loki spent imprisoned or otherwise with thor they never bothered to ask him where he got an infinity stone and an army?
There are a lot of problems with the first and second Thor movies but more recently he couldn't ask him because he thought he was dead. So in the context of this movie that worked, I think. By the time he thought to ask those questions it would have been too late.

In a broader sense though, yes, Asgardians are idiots. Thor in particular. But that's part of his charm.:XD
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,312
Reaction score
24,932
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
There are a lot of problems with the first and second Thor movies but more recently he couldn't ask him because he thought he was dead. So in the context of this movie that worked, I think. By the time he thought to ask those questions it would have been too late.

In a broader sense though, yes, Asgardians are idiots. Thor in particular. But that's part of his charm.:XD
Thor: Loki, where did you get that scepter which mind controls people and an army?
Loki: Would you believe me if I told you I just found them lying around?
Thor: Yes. Yes I would.
Loki: God of mischief bitch!
Grandmaster: Lord of mischief.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I always did think the first Deadpool advertising was better than the actual film (which was still good though). Can’t say anything about Deadpool 2 yet of course, but their streak of great advertising continues.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Metasonic Teenage Warhead is back! I love that she's becoming a movie staple so very much.:XD

Definitely going to see the movie. I hope they go just completely insane with it too.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Murder on the Orient Express 7 / 10

The film is pretty interesting in showcasing the main character of the film, Hercule Poirot and his amazing mustache :verily, but anyhow, the film was entertaining and the cast delivered their characters very well. There is a lot of dialogue and very little action, but it worked out fine for the tone and aspect of this movie. The film's ending was unexpected and I liked that. There are some slow parts here and there.


p.s., JUSTICE LEAGUE NEXT WEEK!!. :eek: :spaz
Curious, have you read the book or seen any of the previous versions? I'm just interested if the ending is the same or if they re-wrote it. Because I'm kinda curious, but me issue is that I think this story has been done to death already.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
The ending is definitely a big part of the overall enjoyment of the story.. it’s one of those books I read and then said “well, I’m never reading that again”.

Also all I’ve heard about the film (outside this thread) is people saying they walked out. And that it’s the biggest waste of a fantastic cast in recent days. Might still see it when it goes streaming though.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Justice League 8 / 10

Finally got to see this and it was okay. Not to say it could've been better, but it definitely felt a lot different from both "Man of Steel" and "Dawn of Justice", I think, DC and Warner Bros. got away from the dark overtones and made this a bit lighter with some adventure to it. The cameos in the film were done really well, Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg got pretty good introductions.

Steppenwolf was a very basic villain with one purpose, not much more to him than that. Batman and Wonder Woman's relationship in this film was unexpected and worked well with the main plot.

Overall for me, I think, Justice League is entertaining and fun, especially seeing how these superheroes interacted with one another, seems like they are finally letting humor get into these stories. Even Batman, seem to be very different in this film and that was okay given his history presented in Dawn of Justice. For the final comic book film of 2017, this wasn't bad at all. I think, DC and Warner Bros. did a lot better this year than 2016. :hi

p.s. @Ustegius, in regards to "Orient Express", I haven't read the book, but I did watch the 1974 film and both films are very different. I think, the 2017 version was changed to set up possible sequels around Hercule's character.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Saw Justice League on Sunday... not bad... but not awesome either. Way better than B vs S. It contained a lot of humor, however the dark filming kind of undercuts that. Think of Dark Knight, but with laughs and you will understand my viewpoint.
I wouldn't really give it more than a 7/10, personally.

The main villain is a cookie-cutter villain, so no one will be sad to see him go. I don't think that's a spoiler... is it?

They took a little play from the MCU, in that there are 2 post credit scenes. One about 30 seconds in to it and the other right at the end.
Oh, and in the pre-movie teasers, that Deadpool 2 teaser was shown. :D
 
Top