Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Kimetsu no Yaiba #9
What a flamboyant cover. I really like it. It might be my favourite so far, simply because I like Uzui's design a lot.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dr Stone, Cross Account, We Never Learn, and Yaiba have the worst covers. The girls could have better clothes on as they look bad as they are now.

Yaiba has numerous character design issues, the veins are unappealing and hes grossly bulky, its not good at all. BLack Clover and Haikyuu have really hot covers.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
It's good but I would have preferred it if it showed his wonderful hair.
Haikyuu!! #29
Did Furudate even try on the faces? Man, this cover could have been great if not for those awkward faces.
Black Clover #14
Lmao, this cover makes it seem like Asta is the main villain, while Finral and his brother are friendly rivals.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Dr Stone, Cross Account, We Never Learn, and Yaiba have the worst covers. The girls could have better clothes on as they look bad as they are now.

Yaiba has numerous character design issues, the veins are unappealing and hes grossly bulky, its not good at all. BLack Clover and Haikyuu have really hot covers.
We get it, you only like cute boys. Uzui's flamboyant attractiveness can only be appreciated by us 200+ IQ individuals after all.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Somebody actually gets payed for designing Dr. Stone covers. Imagine that.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
Dec 4th Volume Covers:
Gintama #71

Haikyuu!! #29

Black Clover #14

Kimetsu no Yaiba #9

We Never Learn #4

Hungry Marie #3 + #4 (Final)


Robot x Laserbeam #3

Dr. Stone #3

Cross Account #2
Only on the cover of volume 4 does the Yuiga appear normally.
I liked them all, even the cover of Dr. Stone with its stone effect and the simple cover of Robot x Laserbeam.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Dr.Stone covers frustrate me so much because the actual art looks incredible. The template just cancels it all out though.


Kimetsu No Yaiba covers seem to get better and better
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Those Hungry Marie covers are great as well
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
I just read K.K in the City of Fog, it was a nice read.
I think it's the best work of the author for now, a shame that this manga is not being released in Weekly Shonen Jump.
 

DJBlitzkrieg

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
129
Reaction score
74
Country
Venezuela
Kimetsu no Yaiba #9
Looks great, Gotouge has gradually gotten better at coloring

Yaiba has numerous character design issues, the veins are unappealing and hes grossly bulky, its not good at all. BLack Clover and Haikyuu have really hot covers.
If you took the time to read the manga, you'd know that his arms are like that because of his way of fighting.
 
Last edited:

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Did Furudate even draw that cover? Looks like it was done by an assistant or something, look nothing like the actual characters.

Typical Dr Stone covering up half the art. The Senku drawing looks great but we hardly get to see any of it...

Gotouge really is great at colour drawings. You wouldn't even guess Kimetsu is a bit rough around the edges looking at that.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
We Never Learn, Cross Account, and Hungry Marie #3 all look really good. Marie's face in #4 looks kind of off, and I'm not really loving Dr. Stone's cover. It kind of looks like it was just done really quickly in Photoshop. I understand the importance of the "turning to stone" aspect of the series, but maybe have it start on the back cover and creep up the spine and maybe a small bit of the front cover's edge. This amount of stone just seemed intrusive.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
That KnY cover is really good.
The BC is good too, but I dont like how the characters of the background fade into nothingness. Was it that hard to draw them entirely?

And my God, the Dr.Stone covers continue to be trash. Whoever is designing them should be fired. They're some of the worst covers I can think of.
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
That's an interesting angle Furudate is trying to go for. I think they want to amp up their foxiness. I'm not exactly a big fan of it, but the fan girls seem to like it alright.

The girls on these covers look dull, except the Cross Account one.

Dr. Stone cover is a visual assault.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
The girls on these covers look dull, except the Cross Account one.
I thought We Never Learn looked lively as well. I've said it multiple times before, but the artwork for Cross Account is by and large the strongest aspect of the series. I'd definitely take a look at this book on the bookshelf if I was unfamiliar with the series with a cover like that
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
I thought We Never Learn looked lively as well. I've said it multiple times before, but the artwork for Cross Account is by and large the strongest aspect of the series. I'd definitely take a look at this book on the bookshelf if I was unfamiliar with the series with a cover like that
Yeah We Never Learn is OK, but Cross Account is definitely stronger. Out of all the covers this time, it would also be the only one that I pick up if I didn't know what all of these series are about.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Yeah We Never Learn is OK, but Cross Account is definitely stronger. Out of all the covers this time, it would also be the only one that I pick up if I didn't know what all of these series are about.
Yeah, Cross Account probably has the best cover out of this batch. A bit ironic since it is mostly likely the first series to end out of the current lineup in the magazine.

On an unrelated note, has anyone else taken a look at the most recent chapter of Shudan featuring the timeskip? I haven't followed the series at all, but I'm curious if it looks like they're planning on doing a "lets wrap this up" timeskip or a "lets skip ahead to the interesting stuff" timeskip the indicates the series still will continue for awhile like Golem Hearts and Robot x Laserbeam just had.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
That Kimetsu no Yaiba cover is EVERYTHING. Love it.

Best cover that Dr. Stone has had so far, if that means much. One of the biggest design tragedies I've ever seen for manga volume covers, what were they thinking with that hideous template?

Haikyu cover is interesting.

Good to hear Neverland and Kimetsu are getting a lot of promotion at Jump Festa, they're the next series in line to get animated after all.
 
Last edited:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Random post about WSJ's 50th anniversary merchandise ahead..

I didn't know this but apparently Banpresto released a continuation of their WCF Jump line (They released 8 sets of 8 figurines 5 years ago to commemorate WSJ's 45th anniversary)

Here are the 8 sets from the 45th anniversary

Here are the new figurines for the 50th anniversary

Does anyone know who the character in the upper part in the right base is, the character next to Kenshiro?? I'm guessing it's probably an assasin? (Every set of figurines apparently has a 'pattern' and it looks like the last set is gonna be 'assasins' or 'killers'... Probably the main character from Black Angels but I can't see good enough.. Does anyone know?

Also some observations.. (More like a rant lol)
-I think is a waste of space to include the JUMP logos lol, maybe the pirate icon as an extra character but c'mon wasting 8 spots! There are characters that weren't included in neither sets!

-Also repeating characters... Goku, Ryotsu, Bobobo, Gon, Luffy, Kuroko, Haikyuu guy, Ichigo, Gintoki, Jotaro, Ryoma all are repeated characters..
Which could have been replaced with other characters to represent their series if needed.. Vegeta, Girl from Kochikame, Don Patch, Hisoka, Other Kuroko character, Shanks, Other haikyuu character, Aizen, Kagura, DIO, Atobe... C'mon some of this characters are even more popular than the main characters and would have sold better IMO.

-It's a joke that they haven't included franchises like Slam Dunk and Dai No Daiboken, I know Inoue has the rights for Slam Dunk, so just ask Inoue himself!
Other series like Black Cat,

-It's also a joke that the only character of the 'new wave of Jump hits' is the main character from the sumo manga which name I forgot.. No My hero academy, black clover, shokugeki no soma.. no nothing

-Also they should have made a set with only romcom girls, in the last set they only included Nisekoi characters! A set with Madoka (Kimagure), Ai (VG Ai), Iori (I's), Aya (Ichigo 100%) and Lala (To Love Ru) (Can't believe she wasn't included in the last set)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Banpresto is releasing some very cool figures of characters doing the same pose they did in some manga covers, which I find pretty cool, and they sure know how to milk us fans as they are releasing some very 'niche' figures!

I mean I as expecting that Hoshing Engi would get some new figures, maybe a Figma and I would have to buy a Taikoubou figma, but this figure looks cool too!

And OMFG Fly (Or Dai for the rest of the world) has a figure and it looks so cool! I think this is probably like the last piece of merchandise Dai no daiboken has had in like at least 20 years.


What other 'niche' (as in series that were niche and popular around 20ish years ago) do you think they will release?
I would freak out and would have to buy a Video Girl Ai, Hikaru or Sai figure, and I think other good niche series that I don't think got any good figures are Black Cat and Shaman King. But I doubt any of this will happen lol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top