Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I never understood the reasoning that people buy the volumes for the nipples. Is it really worth spending a couple bucks for that?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
They could have it censored in the volumes as well, though.
They could have, but it wouldn't be what the mangaka fully invisioned when he was making his manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I never understood the reasoning that people buy the volumes for the nipples. Is it really worth spending a couple bucks for that?
People buy different kinds of things for different kinds of reasons, I don't see the problem. Since manga is so easily available and cheap in Japan I don't see why someone wouldn't buy something they want for cheap. Since Yuuna isn't straight up porn, people surely also buy the volumes because they like the story or some of the characters.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
They could have, but it wouldn't be what the mangaka fully invisioned when he was making his manga.
As if whether or not there are nipples makes a difference in the story.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
As if whether or not there are nipples makes a difference in the story.
Last time I checked, publishers don't censor the art their mangaka produce for no good reason, especially when they get released as volumes.

What does what I said even have to do with the story? I just pointed out the magazine version doesn't contain the original.

If they would censor shounen action manga and take out the just the blood from bloody scenes and whatever, that also wouldn't affect the story, right? But it wouldn't feel right.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I never understood the reasoning that people buy the volumes for the nipples. Is it really worth spending a couple bucks for that?
People buy body pillows. I think you know your answer.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
No idea about the Yuuna's arguing, might as well drop it.

It seems this year new serialization round start later than usual

We are already at issue #52 for 2017.


In 2016 new round began on issue 45 (followed by 46) and 51 (followed by 52) = 4 series.
In 2015 new round began on issue 42 (followed by 43) and 51 = 3 series.
In 2014 new round began on issue 51 (followed by 52 and 1) = 3 new series.
In 2013 new round began on issue 47 = only one series.

Unless something comes up we won't see anything past issue #2 (since #52 should have some sort of preview 2 series after).
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Last time I checked, publishers don't censor the art their mangaka produce for no good reason, especially when they get released as volumes.

What does what I said even have to do with the story? I just pointed out the magazine version doesn't contain the original.

If they would censor shounen action manga and take out the just the blood from bloody scenes and whatever, that also wouldn't affect the story, right? But it wouldn't feel right.
Fair enough. I misinterpreted what you said as the manga is being held back due to the censorship in the magazine chapters. My mistake.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
People buy body pillows. I think you know your answer.
Yeah but you can cuddle with the pillows and ease your sense of loneliness.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
From a quick check the writer's done a few different series but nothing very successful, one series (called Hideyoshi de Gozaru!) did last about 5 years in a monthly magazine but all their other stuff were cancelled in under a year. The last thing they did seems to have been in 2014 but I'm not good at finding oneshots so maybe there's something newer.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
yep, the author had no success in his career and he didn't do anything new since 2014, it's always sad when you come across people like this

a couple of days ago I found out about Kimiya Kaji, who did Yamikami Kou (2003) and Meister (2008) both were axed after 2 volumes
last year he did one of the summer time oneshots in Jump Plus, he was the only veteran in a batch filled with complete rookies

and guess what? 2 of the oneshots (Macho Gourmet and Backstreet Bunch) became a full series and his oneshot didn't

not standing out when when Jump toc looked like this is one thing, and not standing out against rookies is another

 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Meister was amazing, easily one of classic jumps best manga.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
2017 - Times in Top 5 + Times in Bottom 5 of ToC
Top 5:

MHA: 28
Kimetsu: 28
BC: 28
Haikyuu!!: 26
Neverland: 26
One Piece: 24
Dr. Stone - 20
Shokugeki: 14
Hinomaru: 9
Saiki: 8
Spring Weapon: 6
Gintama: 6
RxL - 5
Yuragi: 5
WNL - 5
Sesuji: 2

Bottom 5: - Note that some ToCs only had 9 series being ranked.
Spring Weapon: 32
Gintama: 21
CroAca - 16
Shudan! - 15
Hinomaru: 14
Yuragi: 14
Saiki: 12
RxL: 10
WNL: 9
Shokugeki: 9
Haikyuu!! - 3
Neverland: 2
BC: 1
MHA: 1
Dr. Stone - 1

Axed/Ended:
Marie: 24
Samon: 16
Amalgam: 10
Poro: 10
U19: 10
Demon’s Plan: 5
Ole Golazo: 5
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
2017 - Times in Top 5 + Times in Bottom 5 of ToC
Bottom 5: - Note that some ToCs only had 9 series being ranked.
Spring Weapon: 32
Again, am I missing something? Lmao.

Wow, Kimetsu did a lot better than I would have ever expected (it's doing better than I thought). Jump were desperately searching for a new battle shounen series, they still are even now, but I'm glad they decided to give Kimetsu a proper chance and let it survive, it's paying off big time and I can really see the manga grow a lot.

No surprise these did well.
HA: 28
Kimetsu: 28
BC: 28
Haikyuu!!: 26
Neverland: 26
One Piece: 24
Dr. Stone - 20
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They left off Boruto and HxH?
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I know this discussion was a few pages back but I think there's already enough content for PNL to have a 2 cour season. 22-24 episodes would adequate for the series since it has a lot more dialogue than MHA, which MHA somehow gets a pass averaging just 1.8 per episode.

Sure, there's only 38 chapters for that arc but there's plenty of scenes full of tension that could be sightly extended without making it drag on and it wouldn't hurt to add a little more backstory to for sister Krone.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I wouldn't say "only 38" chapters. That's enough for 3 per episode.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I know this discussion was a few pages back but I think there's already enough content for PNL to have a 2 cour season. 22-24 episodes would adequate for the series since it has a lot more dialogue than MHA, which MHA somehow gets a pass averaging just 1.8 per episode.

Sure, there's only 38 chapters for that arc but there's plenty of scenes full of tension that could be sightly extended without making it drag on and it wouldn't hurt to add a little more backstory to for sister Krone.
No thanks, I'd personally prefer a somewhat fast paced adaptation of Neverland to really keep the tension and the excitement going in one continuous rush. I would't want them to drag out things too much either. From what I calculated, if they adapted about 3 chapters per episode, things would fit nicely in 13 episodes, maybe even make an episode double length and that's more than enough.

What you are proposing could go right, but it could also go terribly wrong and the anime will end up not having the right tone and end up feeling sluggish. The last thing I want for Neverland is filler episodes, because they would definitely need some in 2 cours. Having no extended story for Krone makes things more mysterious and fits the situation of the arc and overall adds impact. Even if it ends up having like 20 episodes, I'm sure it will end up feeling really slow.

The thing that Neverland has that BNH didn't is a very clear end point for one season, at least if Neverland also gets an adaptation really early.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Bottom 5: - Note that some ToCs only had 9 series being ranked.
Spring Weapon: 32
Again, am I missing something? Lmao.
At this point, yes you are. Spring Weapon is a magnificent work of art that's so stupendous, the MC walks around with a fourth-wall breaking expression of total shock at how great the scenarios he gets put in are lol (there are usually a good number of panels of him looking shocked though every chapter).

But in all seriousness, it was basically designed to be a bottom dweller in the TOC. A series like that at best will occupy right above the middle of the TOC. I don't think it's bad, it's just super stupid, like a shut-off-your-brain-and-laugh type of series. I'm testing a theory, and am going to say it'll last around 85-90 chapters and get 10 volumes. This seems like what the last couple "how is this still here" underperformers have gotten.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
At this point, yes you are. Spring Weapon is a magnificent work of art that's so stupendous, the MC walks around with a fourth-wall breaking expression of total shock at how great the scenarios he gets put in are lol (there are usually a good number of panels of him looking shocked though every chapter).

But in all seriousness, it was basically designed to be a bottom dweller in the TOC. A series like that at best will occupy right above the middle of the TOC. I don't think it's bad, it's just super stupid, like a shut-off-your-brain-and-laugh type of series. I'm testing a theory, and am going to say it'll last around 85-90 chapters and get 10 volumes. This seems like what the last couple "how is this still here" underperformers have gotten.
I don't think mangaka and editors go into serializations thinking their series are going to be bottom dwellers. It costs money run a series in the magazine thus editors and Shueisha's business departments will ideally want every series to succeed. Its more like they end up as bottom dwellers. Seishun has outlasted Marie despite Marie selling more than double it according to some estimates. While we will never know who it appeals to, I can't help but think there are other series that are deserving of a spot in Jump to try and make it big. We've been over this before, but there probably is some demographic that are absolutely in love with the series and they're big enough to consider letting it stay for more than a year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top