Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Bad decision making is mastered art form when it comes to things like this in Japan it seems, it would be incredibly dumb if it gets a remake after the first anime was terrible and then remake the show after 15 years and just shit on the source material all over again. The thing is, the author of Shamn King did refuse to have a remake made of his series so maybe Shueisha was like: "OK, what's the next option?" and they went for Hoishin Engi. I did say before, someone needs to look into what time slot the show airs in and what other things aired in that slot so we can get an idea of what to expect potentially. Hopefully it is a good adaptation, how many episodes do you think it would need.
Its going to air in the late night standard Tokyo MX and BS11 with some other local TV stations outside of Tokyo. These range in terms of length. Ushio and Tora also aired on Tokyo MX but half and hour later than Houshin Engi will air.
Finished reading Hoishin Engi for the 3rd time. From the PV + Character designs + Studio alone i can say couple things without spoiling the plots


This reboot adaption is either Hunter x Hunter 2018 in term of length and storyline OR Why even do a reboot in the first place if you are going to skip so much scenes.
There already is some negativity in Japan specifically among the female fans of the manga who hated the first season. This comes specifically because the Series Composition is being done by Takahashi Natsuko. I don't really know what she's done to warrant this hatred but I read some tweets where people were saying they probably won't watch and that Hoshin Engi has no anime. This can obviously be an overreaction but it might help your expectations when it begins to air next cour.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This December's Jump Giga oneshots besides Nisio Isin's oneshot

mostly people from Jump rookies site and Jump treasure winner, nothing too exciting, Bokkole mangaka is 16, so I'm interested in seeing what he wrote

Did the Numa Shun oneshot already come out, or is that in this upcoming issue?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Its going to air in the late night standard Tokyo MX and BS11 with some other local TV stations outside of Tokyo. These range in terms of length. Ushio and Tora also aired on Tokyo MX but half and hour later than Houshin Engi will air.


There already is some negativity in Japan specifically among the female fans of the manga who hated the first season. This comes specifically because the Series Composition is being done by Takahashi Natsuko. I don't really know what she's done to warrant this hatred but I read some tweets where people were saying they probably won't watch and that Hoshin Engi has no anime. This can obviously be an overreaction but it might help you expectations when it begins to air next cour.
Thanks for the info, interesting, maybe it will get the Ushio to Tora treatment after all, which wouldn't be that bad. I looked into Takahashi Natsuko and I can't really say I can pinpoint any massive sins she's commited or anything like that, maybe she also does work outside of anime in live action and that's where the hate comes from. She even handled the series composition for the first season of Nurarihyon no Mago and did the scripts for some episodes, so she has experience with battle shounen stuff from WSJ.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
How do you go from this:

...To this.


I can't say I'm a fan of the new art direction, but if the manga does end up being good, then fine. My optimism levels have gone down, that's for sure.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I feel like this is an unfortunate case of: "Hey, how about toning down the serious tone of your original idea a little bit so this is more accessible to younger audiences". I won't be surprised if it ends up being insufferable garbage. At this point I wish the author would've gone to JUMP SQ where his series would've fit the general tone of the magazine in its more serious original tone. It looks like his outfit is botched, which is a shame because his original outfit looks hella cool, his new outfit has a more modern and "cool" look to it from what it seems, but it's a downgrade in my eyes. Instead of having an epic scar under his eye he now has that stupid looking arrow shit tattoo, whatever it is, it looks horrible. What should I even say about those puffy eyelashes and that altered eye style? I feel like when a year or something like that passes from when the original one shot comes out, I expect an art upgrade for upcoming rookies, not a downgrade.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
So do you guys know why Haikyuu & Kimetsu no Yaiba aren't in English Shonen Jump when there are volumes?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So do you guys know why Haikyuu & Kimetsu no Yaiba aren't in English Shonen Jump when there are volumes?
Yaiba volumes havent exactly released yet. Yaiba doesnt even have chapters added on the free viz site as well.

Haikyuu!! gets chapters added weekly on the free viz site. It would be nice to have hq in main eng jump, but i dont know if I was ever a fan of them doing the 4 page summary of 100s of chapters to get people caught up especially since for a sports manga youre just basically spoiling ever match that way.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Did the Numa Shun oneshot already come out, or is that in this upcoming issue?
it's already out

So do you guys know why Haikyuu & Kimetsu no Yaiba aren't in English Shonen Jump when there are volumes?
because they're not caught up with Japan

putting them in the magazine now means they're telling their readers to read illegal scans to catch up
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
So do you guys know why Haikyuu & Kimetsu no Yaiba aren't in English Shonen Jump when there are volumes?
Poor decision making? It took viz so long to finally license Haikyu that they decided to go with publishing a new volume every month kind of approach because of how many volumes were out. Then with Kimetsu no Yaiba they probably didn't believe it would survive, but they could've gone and put it in the weekly lineup as soon as they saw it would clearly survive and it clearly would get a lot of further promotion and an anime inevitably, but they only licensed it for a print release.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
So do you guys know why Haikyuu & Kimetsu no Yaiba aren't in English Shonen Jump when there are volumes?
Sports manga had a phase of doing terribly in the west, so Viz was shy on licensing them. But since they did Kuroko and HQ, they've been trying to catch up (I assume to put in Jump), but they've been at it 18 months, and probably still have another 18 months to go before getting there.

Kimetsu no Yaiba looked like it would be cancelled, plus took a while to take off and bad artwork=skeptical to license. Now they have, it'll take ages to even catch up, so we'll probably never see it in Jump.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
it's already out
What the heck, not sure how I missed that one coming out. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to look around for it and see if I can find the Japanese version somewhere online to look through
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How do you go from this:
The new art is vastly more compelling. I cant imagine the manga will be bad. The first art makes it look a bit generic and uninteresting.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
The new art is vastly more compelling. I cant imagine the manga will be bad. The first art makes it look a bit generic and uninteresting.
I liked the more mature, serious and badass look the mc had initially, I really liked his outfit, that's all gone with the new version. The art seems kind of like a downgrade to me, but opinions may always differ, again, if it ends up being good, then I have no problems.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Sports manga had a phase of doing terribly in the west, so Viz was shy on licensing them. But since they did Kuroko and HQ, they've been trying to catch up (I assume to put in Jump), but they've been at it 18 months, and probably still have another 18 months to go before getting there.

Kimetsu no Yaiba looked like it would be cancelled, plus took a while to take off and bad artwork=skeptical to license. Now they have, it'll take ages to even catch up, so we'll probably never see it in Jump.
Where is this bad art that you see?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Im confused about the sketches in BLack Clover, like the panels he sketched are not exactly panels where much was otherwise going on, meanwhile all the action moments are beautifully drawn. I would think the action should have been sketches while characters talking should have been beautifully drawn.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Where is this bad art that you see?
Sure, art is subjective, but you would be ignorant if you didn't think the art would generally be considered "ugly", especially in the beginning.
I liked the more mature, serious and badass look the mc had initially, I really liked his outfit, that's all gone with the new version. The art seems kind of like a downgrade to me, but opinions may always differ, again, if it ends up being good, then I have no problems.
Aaaaand you fell for it. If you didn't know, SharkBait over here only likes manga with "cute boys". Nothing else matters.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
BOZEBEATS is a "priest expelling demons action" story that centers on a priest (bōzu) who lives alone on a strange mountain, when he meets a young man who was raised by wolves
Have we had something similar in Jump? I find this plot very original.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Sure, art is subjective, but you would be ignorant if you didn't think the art would generally be considered "ugly", especially in the beginning.

Aaaaand you fell for it. If you didn't know, SharkBait over here only likes manga with "cute boys". Nothing else matters.
I guess I'm "ignorant" then. I don't consider the early art to be ugly, maybe rougher around the edges, the mangaka has surely improved a lot, but I still enjoyed the early art the manga had, it still had that cuteness I love about it when the manga is about slaying demons. The first 4 chapters are extra rough, let's say that much.

I can't say I fell for Sharkbait, I did see not too long ago the same cute boys statement thing. I just replied...?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Why isnt this going to be in JUMP SQ, it seems perfect for that magazines monopoly on exorcists.
I wanted to say the exact same thing. It's like almost literally made for SQ... Now they'll tone it down compared to the original one shot as a consequence.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I wanted to say the exact same thing. It's like almost literally made for SQ... Now they'll tone it down compared to the original one shot as a consequence.
I don't see why they will tone down any violence simply because the designs have become more rounder. This is the same magazine that lets HxH get away with all that nightmare fuel that are the nen beasts and that weird, frankly gross nipple monster Togashi came up with. Kids and their parents read the magazine and despite this, HxH runs those sort of horrors. Kimetsu is also another series that has prominent horror elements. Heroaca has kids getting shot at and just recently, a character's hands were cut off, though the actual cutting wasn't shown. While I can understand why round designs might mean toned down violence, etc, it doesn't always mean that that will be the case.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I don't see why they will tone down any violence simply because the designs have become more rounder. This is the same magazine that lets HxH get away with all that nightmare fuel that are the nen beasts and that weird, frankly gross nipple monster Togashi came up with. Kids and their parents read the magazine and despite this, HxH runs those sort of horrors. Kimetsu is also another series that has prominent horror elements. Heroaca has kids getting shot at and just recently, a character's hands were cut off, though the actual cutting wasn't shown. While I can understand why round designs might mean toned down violence, etc, it doesn't always mean that that will be the case.
True, hopefully it isn't the case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top