Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I adore Robot x Lazerbeam. It's my favorite series in the magazine right now.
thought you said Neverland was your favorite, then HxH was your favorite... what do you like anyway :notsure
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
so you are Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia biggest fan?
I think I dozed off multiple times in LWA it was so bad, KLK at least had some interesting ideas but the execution was messy. I am not that harsh of a critic to these franchises!
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
thought you said Neverland was your favorite, then HxH was your favorite... what do you like anyway :notsure
The Promised Neverland is a second now.
Hunter x Hunter is my favorite when it's in the magazine.

Hinomaru Sumo is brilliant, shame it's probably nearly done. An all time favorite manga.
One Piece is great right now.

Adore Yuragi. We Never Learn is cute.

I really loved Shoodan, shame it didn't catch on.

I'm really digging the hell out of Golem Hearts

My Hero Academia, Kimetsu no Yaiba, and Haikyuu are all good.

Honestly this is the best lineup Jump has had in years and there's gonna be a lot more room in 2018. I'm excited for this golden digital age of Jump.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Oh bet, that's cool. Highkey got scared you were possessed with the spirit of GIA and gained the ability to flip flop and contradict yourself :notsure

Anyways hoping Golem Hearts survives, current events giving me HxH vibes. MHA's plot twist at the end will be interesting how it turns out but people will still be triggered somehow :neutral
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
GIA never contradicted himself. You guys just didn't get his sense of humor or personality.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
It's fun and hilarious, i love the characters and the way they interact, i love how over the top it is.
It's not meant to be taken super seriously.
I pretty much completely disagree with you but fair enough.

Highkey got scared you were possessed with the spirit of GIA and gained the ability to flip flop and contradict yourself
maybe that explains the sig lol
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
GIA never contradicted himself. You guys just didn't get his sense of humor or personality.
Let's just leave it at that, or else more messages will be purged today lmao
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Guess this is a good opportunity to ask this question, plays off the question of Golem Hearts surviving: when getting into something new do you guys care for the story or characters more? Me it's characters, I need something to stick with me. The story can be as good as all outdoors but if the characters are trash it's hard to be invested in it. Good characters can make an average plot better. Not sure if I can say the same the other way around
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
^ Is it enjoyable or not? The good can come later.

and for 99% of the time the character makes it enjoyable. So character.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Guess this is a good opportunity to ask this question, plays off the question of Golem Hearts surviving: when getting into something new do you guys care for the story or characters more? Me it's characters, I need something to stick with me. The story can be as good as all outdoors but if the characters are trash it's hard to be invested in it. Good characters can make an average plot better. Not sure if I can say the same the other way around
For me personally, it depends on how the series is presented. Take for example We Can't Study its overall story isn't really much to write home about, in my opinion anyway, but I really enjoy the characters and their interactions with one another over the plot. MHA on the other hand, for all the personally grieves es I have with the series as of late aside, I like it's plot more then I like the characters I would venture to say, excluding around 5, all the characters are kind of boring. (Vigilanites in my opinion is the better version of MHA universe combining good characters with a nice plot but that's personal opinion)
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^ Is it enjoyable or not? The good can come later.

and for 99% of the time the character makes it enjoyable. So character.
If theres no good characters can it be enjoyable? Kimetsu yaiba doesnt seem enjoyable since it has no good characters. Fulldrive is enjoyable because it has good characters.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
it's really a case by case situation for me

like superheroes/medieval fantasy have become an overdone setting by now, but I still read and enjoy OPM, BnHA, NnT, Helck for the characters

at the same time I don't care how good the characters I won't read "cute girls doing cute things" or "slice of nothing ever happen" or running or swimming and other mundane shit manga
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Lastly, i think if a series in the magazine didn't manage to get the attention of 2 million jump readers (not counting digital) per week and haven't grow in 3 years despite very good TOC standing, it's not going to grow. In fact, the 'celebrity' on Ame Talk probably never heard of it too. Yes i'm talking about Hinomaru Zumou, and you can't say Jump doesn't push it either. It receives a color page on chapter 11, back to back color pages on 15 and 16, and a COVER on chapter 22, then another color page on chapter 25 in just under half a year.
Well if the series has no potential in growth then it would've been axed. I think an anime exposure will help a lot and HZ is really good from the first few chapters and it doesn't take long to get good. The problem is that people need to give it a try and that's where the anime will help.
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
Guess this is a good opportunity to ask this question, plays off the question of Golem Hearts surviving: when getting into something new do you guys care for the story or characters more? Me it's characters, I need something to stick with me. The story can be as good as all outdoors but if the characters are trash it's hard to be invested in it. Good characters can make an average plot better. Not sure if I can say the same the other way around
Depends on the genre for me. For fantasy/anything remotely not realistic, it's the world building that keeps me. For slice of life/sports (no romance for me), it's the characters.

But I find it's hard to separate characters from story. A truly good story/plot is driven by characters and their interactions. I don't think you can find a good plot without good characters anyway. Good premises but bad plots and bad characters are plenty though.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I enjoy TPN and I find the cast of characters to be pretty forgettable. For the most part though characters make or break a series imo
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
Guess this is a good opportunity to ask this question, plays off the question of Golem Hearts surviving: when getting into something new do you guys care for the story or characters more? Me it's characters, I need something to stick with me. The story can be as good as all outdoors but if the characters are trash it's hard to be invested in it. Good characters can make an average plot better. Not sure if I can say the same the other way around
All good plots are character driven. Events need to be tied directly to their decisions and relationships or they're just a waste of ink.

In a fantasy setting, I'm a bit more generous. Characters are a product of the world they're in, so the world building conveys a lot of their development.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Adore Yuragi. We Never Learn is cute.

I really loved Shoodan, shame it didn't catch on.
Yuuna and WNL are both great, so I'm glad to see it looks like they're both here to stay for awhile. Assuming Shudan gets the ax in the upcoming cancellation round, I think I'm going to binge the series if it gets fully translated. The translator for Sesuji was saying on Reddit that once this semester of college ends in the next week or so, he would hopefully have the time to finish translating the last couple chapters of Sesuji, so that's good news for English-reading fans of the series.
I don't care how good the characters I won't read "cute girls doing cute things" or "slice of nothing ever happen"
Your loss there buddy. There are definitely more than a few that are lackluster and boring, but I'd say that can be said for any genre. I wonder if Act-age will fall into either of those categories
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
Well if the series has no potential in growth then it would've been axed. I think an anime exposure will help a lot and HZ is really good from the first few chapters and it doesn't take long to get good. The problem is that people need to give it a try and that's where the anime will help.
Given the existence of SW, I don't think normal logic can be applied to this Jump. HZ is good but it's too niche a series for anyone to expect tremendous growth. An anime adaptation would definitely not boost it as spectacular like it did Kuroko or HQ, and could very well go down like Welcome to the Ballroom, which is a risk that I guess no one want to take at the moment.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
If theres no good characters can it be enjoyable? Kimetsu yaiba doesnt seem enjoyable since it has no good characters. Fulldrive is enjoyable because it has good characters.
I know this is bait since you don't actually read the manga, but take that back, you couldn't be any further away from the truth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top