Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
I don't really dislike Black Clover itself, but I do think that its numbers must be underwhelming for Jump's editors. The anime's pacing probably didn't help, though.
 

puppeto4

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
82
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Oh boy, can't imagine how smug Yagi would be if Ariadne get to mainstream battle shonen in popularity, and GH ended up axed in less than a year.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I'd say mine are (in order): We Never Learn, Yuuna, Saiki, Soma (pre-Central arc), Dr. Stone, Spring Weapon, Cross Account, BNHA, Shudan, Lycopene, Soma (beginning with the Central arc). Want to read one day when they're over: Gintama, One Piece (when I retire hopefully lol). Couldn't really get into: Robot, Golem. Not my type of series (can't speak on quality): Black Clover, Kimetsu, Boruto, Haikyuu, Neverland, Zumo, HxH, World Trigger. Didn't like at all: Full Drive

Although it's late, here's my 2017 average TOC calculation. Perfect attendance in all 48 issues goes to Haikyuu, Shokugeki no Soma, Zumo, Yuuna, Kimetsu, Neverland, and Spring Weapon. Special acknowledgement goes out to Spring Weapon for not only lasting the whole year, but appearing in every issue and being the "fate decider" for series below it lol. Most color pages goes to The Promised Neverland with a whopping 14, 3 more than Soma, Boruto and Kimetsu who all tied for second. The cancellations primarily came from the newer series that premiered from the very end of 2016 through 2017, with Sesuji and Samon (RIP!) being a tad bit older and Isobe being the outlier oldtimer.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
It's just shitty seeing Golem Hearts get last place as Black Clover gets a color page...
One is clearly something the mangaka is passionate and cares about, full of charm and just what a generic battle shonen should be.
Then the other is seriously the most poorly written battle manga to ever get popular in the magazine. Even if it's gotten "less terrible" it still is an embarrassment compared to the rest of Jump's vast library.
I enjoy Golem Hearts, but IMO it’s not THAT much better than Black Clover
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, you dropped OP? Why?
For me, it's a number of reasons. I like the world building and unique powers, but the character designs/excessive silliness/pacing problems/cluttered paneling/etc. turns me off.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Shaman King's 20th anniversary website will open on Jan 1st.
http://www.patch-cafe.net/?p=3444
Don't know if it fits in this thread since it was published in Magazine Edge though.

Hopefully Shueisha will open preorders for YnY's 11th vol. limited edition soon online. Need that in my life.
Gotta get whatever extra stuff Shueisha will bother to produce for it.
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
How does one drop The Promised Neverland
It kinda lost its charm after they escaped to be honest.

My order currently:

OP (stuck with it for too long)
Haikyuu (it's getting good)
Kimetsu (I like the whole yokai thingy)
Soma
MHA
R&L
Shuudan

On hold:
Zumou
TPN

Not reading the rest.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
How does one drop The Promised Neverland
I said this before you joined but I'll just reiterate it: everything before the escape was thrilling and unpredictable, the plot twists were just on point. But after that happened I started to find it boring. The art is godly, and I did like Emma and Norman. But not enough to continue reading weekly since it stopped being entertaining. Dr. Stone I dropped early too but once the author dumped the shitty early characters, Kohaku and Chrome came along, and introduction of the country of science arc I really found it alot better. I'm still "meh" at times towards it, the mini arc that just occured which was a battle tourney was corny for me, but the recent chapter regarding Senku and the sister was so funny that I'm interested at what the conclusion will be.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
For me, it's a number of reasons. I like the world building and unique powers, but the character designs/excessive silliness/pacing problems/cluttered paneling/etc. turns me off.
Dude, you have Toriko as your avatar. That series had wacky character designs too lol, really ridiculous ones that are similar to One Piece. I guess it's just preference.

My real question is why drop it after 80+ volumes of content? I can understand dropping it early but this late has gotten my interest. I'm just curious to hear his reason.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dude, you have Toriko as your avatar. That series had wacky character designs too lol, really ridiculous ones that are similar to One Piece. I guess it's just preference.
It had unique character designs, sure, but I preferred them to One Piece's overall.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't really dislike Black Clover itself, but I do think that its numbers must be underwhelming for Jump's editors. The anime's pacing probably didn't help, though.
I think your statement is founded on fiction, its simply baseless rumour and speculation. We have no way of making any claims towards the amount of volume sales BLack Clover is making digitally or any other sort of revenue BLack Clover is bringing in for Shueisha to make the claim that it is "underwhelming". You final statement is also baseless, evidence strongly suggests and highly implies that the anime is helping to keep all the physical volumes selling week after week.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The number of series I read didn't change much though enjoyment of a few has changed so my order is:
  1. Black Clover
  2. We Can't Study
  3. RxL
  4. Dr. Stone
  5. Shokugeki no Soma
  6. Full Drive
  7. Golem Heart
  8. MHA
Dropped series: One piece, HxH
Not interested in: TPN, Sumo, Haikyuu, Shudan, Kimetsu
To read later: Gintama
 

Sir Isley

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
189
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I only read BC and MHA, I'll eventually started HxH once I finish the anime. TPN is and has been on hold since chapter 38.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Mine if anyone cares:

1. Hunter x Hunter
2. The Promised Neverland
3. One Piece
4. Dr. Stone
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. Black Clover
7. Full Drive
8. Golem Hearts

Plan to read:
Robot x Laserbeam
My Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumō
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Dropped series: One piece, HxH
Wut
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yuuna hasn't fallen off in anyway to me, but it's surprising that some like me have WNL above it. I credit WNL more than putting down Yuuna, the adult elements of the teacher and ronin kinda enhanced the series surprisingly. Wonder how everyone else is feeling on Yuuna, anime is a long ass time from now.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Mine if anyone cares:

1. Hunter x Hunter
2. The Promised Neverland
3. One Piece
4. Dr. Stone
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. Black Clover
7. Full Drive
8. Golem Hearts

Plan to read:
Robot x Laserbeam
My Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumō
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Wut
I didn't much care for the pacing that One Pieces arcs had started going at it became less enjoyable for me to read. The reason behind the HxH drop is that I just couldn't really get interested in reading it each week so I eventually stopped I'd say about halfway through YorkNew.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
What is actually selling 500k, though? I think the biggest indicator of BC not being the hit Jump wants it to be would be that it's getting outsold by something like Neverland.
MHA is. And for the good part in their start, most compared these 2 to each other.
You can expect TPN to also shoot past 500k once it gets an anime.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Follow weekly
One Piece
TPN
Soma/Yuuna/HYPEkyuu!
Soma ~ the current arc is so bad but this is my baby and you don't abandon your baby.
Dr Stone
----------------------
Robot/WNL

Only follow Haikyuu anime so that's where i rank it at.
Need to catch up manga that i have at least 50+ chapters read: MHA
Below 30+ chapters: HZ, Kimetsu, Black Clover
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top