Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 857 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanzo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Godzilla CGI movies are getting a manga adaptation on Jump+ in March.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Todays Viz issue announced that we’ll get Naoshi Komi’s E Sports One Shot next issue on 8/1. Guess this means we’ll probably get the others from authors that were run in Viz Jump simultaneously as well like Shimabu’s and Kubo’s.

Mankichi Togawa

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Anything new about Bozebeats and/or Actage?

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Why do I feel like people are discrediting Neverland's success? The fact that it managed to become almost a top 10 seller in the age where print sales in Japan are going down dramatically is really impressive. To add to that, it's a new manga.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
This only happens when people use the series as a comparative example. It ends up not being very fair. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting series, but it didn't get to those big numbers necessarily for that reason. It was more of an advertising victory than a natural process.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I disagree to an extent, I consider the manga to be amazing and I feel like that helped generate interest. You're also discrediting the manga to an extent by saying it's only where it is because of advertising.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why do I feel like people are discrediting Neverland's success? The fact that it managed to become almost a top 10 seller in the age where print sales in Japan are going down dramatically is really impressive. To add to that, it's a new manga.
If people admit it is a success based on almost a top selling 10 selling series then they have to admit BLack Clover is a success. People are bamboozled at how to resolve this difference rationally leaving them gnashing their teeth in pure bewilderment.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I disagree to an extent, I consider the manga to be amazing and I feel like that helped generate interest. You're also discrediting the manga to an extent by saying it's only where it is because of advertising.
Well, I remember that people were more impressed with the supposed print of the first volume than with its sales. So I say that because the boost that made all the volumes appear in the top 50 started after the TV show and Oda's recommendation. The series went from 500k to 3M in a few months.

It gives the impression that it was less "this manga is good, let's buy it", and more "someone important said that this manga is good, let's buy it".

Anyway, when the anime comes out the chances of "exploding" are high, which reminds me that the first comment of the authors when the manga debuted was something like "this series will become a legend". Maybe they're right.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Did they say the series would become a legend? I don't remember that, if they did say that, then wow, that's pretty impressive, I like the confidence.

I do remember an interview from early on. It's amazing how this was the last attempt Shirai(the writer for the series) made when it came to becoming a mangaka after his previous failures, he was about to give up on making manga but fortunately he tried for one last time. I can't remember the details on how he met Posuka, but they really compliment each other as a duo perfectly. I think ONE, the mangaka for Mob Psycho and OPM also had a similar story where everyone told him he doesn't have what it takes.

Overall, I feel like Shueisha know themselves that they can take the manga to the next level with an anime adaptation. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen. I feel like Shueisha also know that they have to handle the anime properly, I really hope they do, because this seriously needs a proper adaptation to really leave an impression on the masses, the type of impression that makes a manga blow up.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Did they say the series would become a legend? I don't remember that, if they did say that, then wow, that's pretty impressive, I like the confidence.
Sorry, that was the comment of the user who posted the comment XD. The real comment was: "This day... will be celebrated as an anniversary in the coming years", which also represents a great self-confidence.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Sorry, that was the comment of the user who posted the comment XD. The real comment was: "This day... will be celebrated as an anniversary in the coming years", which also represents a great self-confidence.
Well, good to know they at least had the confidence that their manga would last for a while.

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I wonder if e no Genten will be good or not. I wasn't that big of a fan of Nisekoi, although I really liked it a lot for the first 100 chapters or so until I realized it wasn't going anywhere. This one-shot might be pretty interesting though.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Komi has sensibility, the problem is when he tries to put this into a formula. I can remember good scenes in Nisekoi, but as a whole it's kind of an annoying reading. That's why his one-shots please me more.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I wonder if e no Genten will be good or not. I wasn't that big of a fan of Nisekoi, although I really liked it a lot for the first 100 chapters or so until I realized it wasn't going anywhere. This one-shot might be pretty interesting though.
I wouldn't trust one-shots if I were you. This could be a one off idea or a mini passion project the author has but doesn't actually plan on expanding. The author for Kuroko did a One shot about Archery and ended up doing a manga about Golf. For what we know, Nisekoi's author is actually planning to do another romcom as his next actual manga. Even if this one shot ends up being good, it might never go any further than just being a one-shot.

Or remember how the author for Beelzebub did a one-shot that was very similar looking to Hungry Marie. But in the end he made Hungry Marie and that was completely different.

Oh yeah this reminds me of Boze and Bozebeats and how dramatic the change seems to be from one-shot to actual manga. Fingers crossed it actually ends up being good.

And this is why I really can't get excited about the 5 new one-shots from the 5 authors. Maybe only one of them will end up actually becoming a serialization.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Saw the pic in viz issue today, he still looks like Ichijou which is great so I will read it. The artists knows how to make very good looking leads.

Maybe someday the writer will do a boys sports club series.

OfficialHxH

Reaction score
Country
United States

Didn't realize JUMP came out early today

101nemesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
Also in case people forget, it isn't just One Piece that had growth later on. Kingdom did too. It used to sell 300-400k and now almost touches 900k a volume solely because of the exposure it got on a show.

It's 30 in the Top 50 of most sealed manga of the year.
Less volumes in general because it's not a weekly serialized manga = less total sales. Look at the volume sales individually and you'll see it's definitely a notable success.

MHA has already reached its peak; it can't go much higher. TPN can definitely keep growing and might have a higher ceiling. Let's see how volume 7 debuts in January before making any calls, though.
People were saying this after season 1. We all know how that went. Plus, the best fight in MHA is still not animated. That does give it more potential to grow. It could definitely reach HQ!! level. To go above and beyond that is something we'll need to see

savethecat

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
This only happens when people use the series as a comparative example. It ends up not being very fair. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting series, but it didn't get to those big numbers necessarily for that reason. It was more of an advertising victory than a natural process.
I believe that it was advertised so heavily because people felt it was a quality series, as opposed to black clover which just received a a push because it was suppose to be “the next big thing”

Status
Not open for further replies.