I do keep seeing people say TPN got a lot of push and MHA didn't. I always thought MHA was pretty well promoted but I could be wrong. Sure not as much as BC but MHA did get promoted a lot. Again, I could be wrong.
I do keep seeing people say TPN got a lot of push and MHA didn't. I always thought MHA was pretty well promoted but I could be wrong. Sure not as much as BC but MHA did get promoted a lot. Again, I could be wrong.
Here's how much Heroaca was pushed. Shueisha understocked the first volume that it sold out three times before they got their shit together in comparison to Neverland which had a 120k print run for its first volume. There was a clear sign that Shueisha wanted Neverland to become a success while they were unsure with Heroaca due to the fact that Hori had two other previous failures so its no surprise people think that Neverland is a bit of a golden child that actually managed to pay off for them unlike say Black Clover and soon to be Dr. Stone where their push campaign isn't bringing in much of anything.
I do keep seeing people say TPN got a lot of push and MHA didn't. I always thought MHA was pretty well promoted but I could be wrong. Sure not as much as BC but MHA did get promoted a lot. Again, I could be wrong.
Not counting the first 2 chapters, stop counting after the one year anniversary issue.
My Hero Academia
Colour Page: 41, 46,47, 52 - end of 2014. 11, 15, 16, 25, 27,
Cover Page + Lead: 3 (2015), 19 (only lead due to the cover being all characters),
End at Issue 32 of 2015. Exactly one year. 9 CPs, 1 Cover and 1 Lead .
Black Clover
Colour Page: 22/23, 24, 28, 34, 37/38, 44,45, 49, 53 - end of 2015. 5/6, 8, 12,
Cover + Lead: 36 12 CPs and 1 Cover.
Hinomaru Zumou
Colour page: 37/38, 41, 42, 51 end of 2014. 4/5, 12
Cover + Lead: 48,
End at Issue 26 of 2015. Exactly one year
6 CPs, 1 Cover
Compare these to the behemoth AssClass, it had 6 CPs and 5 Covers in its first year (4 if you don't want to count the share one with KnB and One Piece).
Why the hell would you compared the amount of volumes sales to a boost in conjuncture to a single volume release in the same time period? Its even more embarrassing when people were comparing their sales for their respective 7th volume.
Not counting the first 2 chapters, stop counting after the one year anniversary issue.
My Hero Academia
Colour Page: 41, 46,47, 52 - end of 2014. 11, 15, 16, 25, 27,
Cover Page + Lead: 3 (2015), 19 (only lead due to the cover being all characters),
End at Issue 32 of 2015. Exactly one year. 9 CPs, 1 Cover and 1 Lead .
Black Clover
Colour Page: 22/23, 24, 28, 34, 37/38, 44,45, 49, 53 - end of 2015. 5/6, 8, 12,
Cover + Lead: 36 12 CPs and 1 Cover.
Hinomaru Zumou
Colour page: 37/38, 41, 42, 51 end of 2014. 4/5, 12
Cover + Lead: 48,
End at Issue 26 of 2015. Exactly one year
6 CPs, 1 Cover
Compare these to the behemoth AssClass, it had 6 CPs and 5 Covers in its first year (4 if you don't want to count the share one with KnB and One Piece).
I think the promotion of MHA and AC was more a consequence of their success. Neverland and BC, as ChocoBar said, were products of planning (but in the case of BC, it didn't work very well).
In what dimension is 164k higher than 168k? Probably in the same one where comparing 7 volumes worth of sales to one volume is considered a valid argument. What is it with MHA that get people so riled up?
The weird thing is TPN isn't THAT much more of a success than MHA but some of you are acting like it makes MHA sell like SW#1 in comparison.
Not to mention, MHA could have been so much bigger if the initial promotion didn't hit so many roadblocks (initial print being underestimated, the first season of the anime being 1 cour and only adapting the most boring part of the series)
I think the promotion of MHA and AC was more a consequence of their success. Neverland and BC, as ChocoBar said, were products of planning (but in the case of BC, it didn't work very well).
I think the promotion of MHA and AC was more a consequence of their success. Neverland and BC, as ChocoBar said, were products of planning (but in the case of BC, it didn't work very well).
You clearly weren't around when AssClass started.
It was a big success off the bat, but also received a ton of promotion early on. Clearly Jump had very high hopes for it.
The weird thing is TPN isn't THAT much more of a success than MHA but some of you are acting like it makes MHA sell like SW#1 in comparison.
Not to mention, MHA could have been so much bigger if the initial promotion didn't hit so many roadblocks (initial print being underestimated, the first season of the anime being 1 cour and only adapting the most boring part of the series)
Hasn't TPN won more awards than MHA? I get the narrative some of you guys are arguing, but if something is more of a critical success, it only makes sense to promote it more.
Hasn't TPN won more awards than MHA? I get the narrative some of you guys are arguing, but if something is more of a critical success, it only makes sense to promote it more.
My Hero Academia was nominated for the Taisho in 2015.
Regardless though, the point remains that TPN and MHA are at similar levels of sales right now despite TPN getting significantly more promotion.
Hasn't TPN won more awards than MHA? I get the narrative some of you guys are arguing, but if something is more of a critical success, it only makes sense to promote it more.
You clearly weren't around when AssClass started.
It was a big success off the bat, but also received a ton of promotion early on. Clearly Jump had very high hopes for it.
I'm not saying that these series had no promotion before the sales started. We are still talking about the WSJ, the magazine's goal is to sell, after all. I'm saying that since the first volumes sold very well, I don't consider the promotion that came afterwards as "pushing", since this term is used to designate series that needed extra help to achieve success. In the case of MHA, especially, I doubt the editors would have paid so much attention if the first volume had only sold 30k.
Well one was given out through Yomiuri Shimbun which is apart of the largest newspaper group in Japan. The other was Japan Expo among the largest and well known conventions celebrating Japanese culture in the world. Neverland won the same award Terraformars won in 2013.
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.