Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Studio Pierrot is prob
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
If Toei or Pierrot gets Kimetsu they won't reach "the good part", the spider forest, without 3 cours. They should focus on Black Clover or take Dr. Stone and spare Kimetsu.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I doubt Kimetsu will get a big time studio for it given how niche it is. We might get another situation where we get a studio like Kinema Citrus who are passionate enough about the source of material to make it standout. With the way things are looking Neverland going to WIT looks more and more likely. I can see Dr. Stone being a CG anime from Toei for some odd reason, I don't think Bouchi's character designs would work animated given how ugly they look.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Studio Pierrot is prob
Unfortunately yes, they have a high chance of getting Kimetsu. Looking at the time block where BC airs, I can't help but feel a little worried that they'll also give Kimetsu the Pierrot 50 episode death sentence. If Pierrot did the anime and it was only two cours long I wouldn't be as worried, but 4 cours already means death, when we're talking about Pierrot. Toei are even worse and even more of a danger factor in every way. If Toei get HZ, then they might actually pull it off decently since they have recent experience on Sumo anime and because there is a lot of manga to work with which would fit their long running go-to plan. I did say before, there is like a 5-10 percent chance that if Toei or Pierrot get Kimetsu, the anime won't be complete shit, but only if the adaptation is two cours long at most, for a first season.

One thing that might be Kimetsu's saving grace is the fact that the manga is pretty violent and the method of killing demon can't really be censored, since it would be really dumb to censor how demons are killed, it would strip away one of the key aspects of the manga. Demons in the manga mostly have humanoid shapes so,
the main method of killing demons is decapitation, the demons look like humans for the most part, not big monsters like in other series, so no matter what, decapitation with swords and sharp objects will be present
. Basically, demons are killed in a pretty grotesque non-child friendly way all the time through the same method consistently, which doesn't make the show suited for day time TV slots, the demons have humanoid shapes and they can't just pretend that demons just turn to dust from random sword slashes, the way they need to be killed is a standard. The manga is even called Riders of the Night in French or something like that, so if the anime has a late night or night time TV-slot, the chances of a decent to good anime increase by a lot.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The art style I would imagine would be kinda hard to animate as well. Sunrise are finishing Gintama soon maybe them
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The art style I would imagine would be kinda hard to animate as well. Sunrise are finishing Gintama soon maybe them
Technically Bandai Namco Entertainment now. Sunrise hardly ever does adaptations anymore or anything that's not Gundam or Love Live.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Yeah, but anime production takes a long time, so does the planning and so on. Then there's the fact that Kimetsu had some really big growth going on in 2017 and that might've even caught Shueisha off guard, so Kimetsu wasn't their top priority but now they're definitely determined to promote it with TPN as the next series to get animated and Bokuben might slide into the picture as well.

Maybe you're right though. What's the average chapter count when anime got announced for upcoming battle shounen manga in WSJ for the last 10 years? And in general for manga that manage to survive in WSJ?
For all we know I very well could be in pre-production right now. MHA anime was greenlit when the manga wasn't even a year old and I think Black Clover anime was greenlit much much before the annoucement in December.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
If Toei or Pierrot gets Kimetsu they won't reach "the good part", the spider forest, without 3 cours. They should focus on Black Clover or take Dr. Stone and spare Kimetsu.
Yikes and no thanks I ain't gonna watch that is all I can think of. Toei might focus on HZ though, if they have the anime.

I doubt Kimetsu will get a big time studio for it given how niche it is. We might get another situation where we get a studio like Kinema Citrus who are passionate enough about the source of material to make it standout. With the way things are looking Neverland going to WIT looks more and more likely. I can see Dr. Stone being a CG anime from Toei for some odd reason, I don't think Bouchi's character designs would work animated given how ugly they look.
At this point, I'll be happy with anyone but Toei or Pierrot for starters, since those two really manage to outdo themselves in hitting new lows when it comes to their adaptations. Kimetsu does have the potential to turn into the passion project of some director that really likes the manga and it's more old-school feel, I'd be cool with it.

What makes you think WIT will get Neverland, I'm curious, are there any hints? I'd be totally fine with them doing TPN. Dr. Stone's fate will depend if Toei get HZ or not in my opinion, Sunrise/Bandai Namco could also aim for it since they'll be done with Gintama and they always like to stick to doing some kind of a big battle shounen manga from one of the large publishers.

The art style I would imagine would be kinda hard to animate as well. Sunrise are finishing Gintama soon maybe them
I would be fine with that.

edited some typos xD
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
In my opinion, I think MHA might touch a million mark peak at some point and then drop. I don't forsee TPN doing that. But it's fine if I'm wrong. I don't work in this industry to be affected by my wrong prediction.
I doubt it. MHA volume sales would have to increase by several 100k's to reach that point.

The art style I would imagine would be kinda hard to animate as well.
That's my main concern with a potential Kimetsu anime.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
That's my main concern with a potential Kimetsu anime.
It can definitely be pulled off. BONES for example will take on literally any style, they're super versatile. If they could pull off Mob Psycho as an anime, they could do this as well. Now not only Bones could get the formula right for Kimetsu, it will depend if they go get the right people and have a good approach towards the anime, the approach and mindset where they go, we'll do this manga justice and adapt it properly and respect the source material. If they go for the 50 episode filler approach over a properly made adaptation, then that would be bad decision making since Kimetsu really isn't that child friendly and naturally the charm of the art will be lost in the process for sure as well.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I think modernizing that series to a degree is the way to go. It'll attract a larger group of viewers, more casuals who know of it but were either hesitant or unwilling to trying the manga.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I think modernizing that series to a degree is the way to go. It'll attract a larger group of viewers, more casuals who know of it but were either hesitant or unwilling to trying the manga.
A certain degree of polishing up would be necessary, sure, if that's what you mean by modernizing, since things need to be able to work properly in animation. Again, Mob Psycho was nicely polished up for its anime.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Hopefully Toho animation take over KNY production alongside with some talented staff, we may get good Quality show like : Haikyuu!!/Houseki/Kekkai Sensen/MHA...
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Hopefully Toho animation take over KNY production alongside with some talented staff, we may get some good Quality show like : Haikyuu!!/Houseki/Kekkai Sensen/MHA...
That would be too good to be true almost, but it would be great if it happened, ideal probably. I kind of hope Fire Force from Kodansha goes to Toho as well.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What makes you think WIT will get Neverland, I'm curious, are there any hints? I'd be totally fine with them doing TPN. Dr. Stone's fate will depend if Toei get HZ or not in my opinion, Sunrise/Bandai Namco could also aim for it since they'll be done with Gintama and they always like to stick to doing some kind of a big battle shounen manga from one of the large publishers.
I can see them offering it to WIT or studio from IG Port because its now a pretty high profile manga that's getting people talking about it and over the years they've gotten their hands on a lot of critically acclaimed and popular manga and I can't see Jump giving this to a low profile studio or a factory one ala Toei and Pierrot. I'd generally be surprised if its not WIT but for a wildcard pick I'll go with DEEN. For HZ I'll going to go with Madhouse or MAPPA since the latter is pretty much getting everything at this point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I think modernizing that series to a degree is the way to go. It'll attract a larger group of viewers, more casuals who know of it but were either hesitant or unwilling to trying the manga.
Yeah but you'll be missing its appeal. Its a series that has its following because its unlike anything running in Jump.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I can see them offering it to WIT or studio from IG Port because its now a pretty high profile manga that's getting people talking about it and over the years they've gotten their hands on a lot of critically acclaimed and popular manga and I can't see Jump giving this to a low profile studio or a factory one ala Toei and Pierrot. I'd generally be surprised if its not WIT but for a wildcard pick I'll go with DEEN. For HZ I'll going to go with Madhouse or MAPPA since the latter is pretty much getting everything at this point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yeah but you'll be missing its appeal. Its a series that has its following because its unlike anything running in Jump.
I also can't help but feel the same about Neverland, it almost gives off the same kind of Attack on Titan vibes if you know what I mean and I'm sure Shueisha will capitalize on this opportunity, they probably have some sort of regret for rejecting Attack on Titan and now they want one of their own with TPN and they saw an effective way to approach things when it came to the anime adaptation for AOT xD. I.G port and Wit are solid choices and safer ones for sure. If they give the anime to Toei or Pierrot or some low tier studio, then Shueisha is truly on another level of incompetence. HZ and Madhouse or Mappa sounds great, especially since we know the first part of the manga will be covered as well.

Regarding Kimetsu, if they do the anime properly, I'm sure they'll do everything they can to set a proper tone through the general art style, how the animate the characters, how they implement their pattern and model based clothing and the backgrounds, it's tough to pull off, but doable. The character designs will need to be modified to some extent to be smooth for animation. Similar things to what Kimetsu's style would probably look like at best were done 10-15 years ago with Mononoke and Gankutsuou The Count of Monte Cristo(both which are amazing shows that everyone should watch by the way), so they can surely be pulled off now as well. And then you also have a big chunk of Shaft's work and their overall style. Some kind of a sweet spot can be reached for sure.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Has A-1 Pictures ever do a Jump or Shueisha title?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
To be honest, it would be too good to be true for Kimetsu to have an anime in this kind of a style, right?


 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I'd rather have a traditional series. Something like the Ushio to Tora anime.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top