Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJBlitzkrieg

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
129
Reaction score
74
Country
Venezuela
Also, chapter 93 is once again pretty brutal.
I don't want to get off Gotouge's wild ride

That's how a battle vs an Upper Moon should be, long and brutal, unless you fight them alone like Rengoku tried, but that didn't end well for him ;_;
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
From the spoilers it seems like a bunch of asspulls, shocking yes, but in a bad way. I agree that these past chapters end in a very familiar fashion and it's getting really annoying.

My interest in this series is dwindling down because of the dragging. Did Kimetsu get a new editor recently or something?
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Boze's art is good, but the composition is a bit "polluted".

About Kimetsu, not that I disagree that the arc is dragging, but it's kind of funny how we (the 2010 generation) are easily getting impatient. Arcs like Chimera Ants and Ennies Lobby would be impossible today.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Am I just in crazy town because I don't feel that its dragging at all same with the Yakuza arc with MHA. Kids these days will never experience reading through the Hueco Mundo arc weekly in Bleach now that was dragging.
 

DJBlitzkrieg

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
129
Reaction score
74
Country
Venezuela
From the spoilers it seems like a bunch of asspulls, shocking yes, but in a bad way.
I'm curious to hear what do you find asspully about the spoilers, is the fact that Tengen is still alive? I think it was pretty evident that he was because the only confirmation we had of his death is from Gyuutarou moments after he stabbed Inosuke (which didn't happen too long before this spoilers). Despite that, it's not like nothing is happening in this chapter because Tengen still got slashed in the face and Tanjirou got pierced from his jaw, they can't just go and kill an Upper Moon (arguably the strongest enemys) like it's nothing compared to other demons and those big wounds that everyone is receiving will leave consequences after the battle is over

Boze's art is good, but the composition is a bit "polluted".

About Kimetsu, not that I disagree that the arc is dragging, but it's kind of funny how we (the 2010 generation) are easily getting impatient. Arcs like Chimera Ants and Ennies Lobby would be impossible today.
Am I just in crazy town because I don't feel that its dragging at all same with the Yakuza arc with MHA. Kids these days will never experience reading through the Hueco Mundo arc weekly in Bleach now that was dragging.
The current arc of One Piece has been going for a pretty long time too, Big Mom chasing them on the seas has taken alone nearly 10 chapters IIRC
 
Last edited:

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Am I just in crazy town because I don't feel that its dragging at all same with the Yakuza arc with MHA. Kids these days will never experience reading through the Hueco Mundo arc weekly in Bleach now that was dragging.
What's funny is the current events in MHA doesn't seem for long being the required phase was just completed in the latest chapter. But I can see this annoying people wanting to get to more of the aftermath from the Yakuza arc cause it's not yet over due to needing the licenses. It depends, long arcs will always have more ebbs than shorter arcs but "dragging" seems to come more from subjective things like content and hype aspect. Chimera Ant had me sleepy after what happened to Kite and Ponzu but when they stormed the castle it picked up like crazy. Yakuza is the same with Mirio vs. Overhaul. So it "dragged" in my mind.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bozebeats is battle shounen?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Am I just in crazy town because I don't feel that its dragging at all same with the Yakuza arc with MHA. Kids these days will never experience reading through the Hueco Mundo arc weekly in Bleach now that was dragging.
I 100% agree with you, I don't feel they dragged on for too long as well. People are way too impatient nowadays and I blame social media and smartphones xD.

edit: formatting
 

DJBlitzkrieg

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
129
Reaction score
74
Country
Venezuela
I 100% agree with you, I don't feel they dragged on for too long as well. People are way too impatient nowadays and I blame social media and smartphones xD.

edit: formatting
It probably has to do too with the fact that every battle until now took only 2 to 4 chapters, but since this is the first fight of the main cast against a big boss (second after akaza, but they got their ass saved by the sun) naturally they can't kill it in only 4 chapters like past battles.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
You can't compare Ennies Lobby to the current arc. Ennies lobby was well hyped up, had many more characters involved, and occurred 400 chapters into the story. Kimetsu hasn't even reached 100 yet, and the past fights haven't spanned this long. Yes, this Upper Moon is strong as hell, but a lot of the chapters end the same way.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Am I just in crazy town because I don't feel that its dragging at all same with the Yakuza arc with MHA. Kids these days will never experience reading through the Hueco Mundo arc weekly in Bleach now that was dragging.
I am offended that you feel this way about the best BLeach Arc. Let us not forget how it had all the best moments in the manga.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I hope someone puts the epilogue chapter of Cross Account online. I'm curious to see how it'll end and what they'd do for an epilogue.
Let's see how good Bozebeat's position is in terms of survival chances, shall we?
Let's take a look at the number of more unstable slots in the magazine, shall we?


Gintama - Will end this year for sure, that means a guaranteed free extra spot in the magazine, which is huge.
Spring Weapon No. 1 - Very unstable, could finish at any moment, which would free up another spot.
Golem Hearts is already dead to me, so that would be another slot up for the grabs.
Full Drive is also dead to me, so another slot is available.
Cross Account and Shuudan both finished so Bozebeats and Actage will replace them, Actage in theory is another unstable spot until we further know more about it.
Don't forget that HxH is returning and taking up a slot too (but who knows for how long it'll be around).
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If Bozebeats really is good, then it really has good chances of surviving.
The manga has everything needed to be the next BLeach level success. Im unable to see how it wont survive.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
The manga has everything needed to be the next BLeach level success. Im unable to see how it wont survive.
You might jinx it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I hope someone puts the epilogue chapter of Cross Account online. I'm curious to see how it'll end and what they'd do for an epilogue.

Don't forget that HxH is returning and taking up a slot too (but who knows for how long it'll be around).
I always forget about HxH... The mangaka still has a huge chance with a lot of relatively unstable spots in the magazine which are up for the grabs. I remember that not too long ago it was almost impossible to enter into the magazine from 2014-2015 and even 2016 when Naruto, Bleach, Kochikame, Nisekoi, Toriko and Ass Class were all still on-going and wouldn't budge anywhere.

As I've said before, if the manga really is good, then it has to survive, but if it isn't that good, well it will end up being another Full Drive or Golem Hearts.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
You can't compare Ennies Lobby to the current arc. Ennies lobby was well hyped up, had many more characters involved, and occurred 400 chapters into the story. Kimetsu hasn't even reached 100 yet, and the past fights haven't spanned this long. Yes, this Upper Moon is strong as hell, but a lot of the chapters end the same way.
Yeah, the comparison with Enies Lobby really dont hold up at all. Like, there were so many things and conflicts going on in this arc, there is a reason why EL is such a beloved arc among OP fans.

As someone who studies in her freetime storytelling, works and interacts with writers AND is a writer herself, I can tell at this point, that, if a story feels like, as if it's "dragging on", then the truth is, that there isnt just much tension.

Let's compare it with one of Kimetsu No Yaiba's own arcs, the Train Arc-
The arc takes place in a train, a rather unusual (moving) place in a shounen-
First the protagonists were trapped in their dreams, a twist and the first trial-
Followed by the realization that not only there is a demon on the train, but that the whole train is the demon!
With the new issue that all the passengers are in danger-
And when the demon was finally defeated, and peace seems at hand, an upper moon demon appeared, further escalating the crisis into a (seemingly) hopeless situation.

I think, one of KnY strengths is, that it's a rather unconventional manga, at least for a shounen.
That's why I also enjoyed the beginning of this arc, with its stealth mission into a brothel. Our maincharacters disguising themselves as girls, trying to get informations and at the same time, hiding their true identities.
I think one mistake the mangaka did, was to resolve to plot threats to early in the arc: To save all the prostitutes, which were imprisoned by the upper moon demon so early and to evacuate all the people in the surroundings.
Not because I want gore and death, but because these were legit burdens and elements to create tension.I was actually afraid of the idea, that they fought in public now, because innocent people were in danger. But now the battle is feels rather shounen, the surroundings have no real influenceon the battlefield anymore.
Also the brother of the UMD was a mistake. I get what the intention of the mangaka was, and that she wanted to recreate a similiar situation to the one back then in the Train Arc, but in this case, it feels more like a continuation of the fight(therefore dragging on), against somebody who came literally out of nowhere(so against someone we really didnt care), while the actual villain of the arc(who was built up before), kinda had to side step as a threat.And the new threat is also not that interesting and feels surprisingly conventional as a KnY enemy. Doesnt help that the fight goes on and on and that several chapters ended with a cliffhanger, which is a rather cheap way to create tension.

If someone does enjoy this arc, then it's nice and I am happy for that person, but I am not that excited right now.
And it's also not very nice to say, that those, who also dont enjoy this fight right now are just spoiled.... I mean, really?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I am offended that you feel this way about the best BLeach Arc. Let us not forget how it had all the best moments in the manga.
I still say that the Soul Society Arc is Bleach's best arc. I've analyzed it a few months ago and I was really surprised how well-crafted it actually was.
I would even dare say that the SS Arc, together with the Zabuza Arc from Naruto, belong to the few arcs in modern manga, which every mangaka must read before they start a shounen manga.
 
Last edited:

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Someone being impatient would say "Why isn't this fight over?", 2 chapters after the fight started.
Something being dragged out is a single fight going on for 17 chapters with the enemy of the main characters getting mutilated multiple times, but still not dying.
At this point Gotouge is just showing the readers her gore fetish.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I still remember being shook from Land of Waves not only from the hype but cause I had this crush on Haku growing up until I found it he was a dude Imao. I feel the same way on traps the way I feel on lolis; just there to appeal to certain audiences. To this day I think most can agree he looked better than Sakura.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still say that the Soul Society Arc is Bleach's best arc. Analyzed it a few months ago and I was surprised how well-crafted it actually was.
I would even dare say that the SS Arc, together with the Zabuza Arc from Naruto, belong to the few modern arcs in manga, which every mangaka must before they start a new shounen manga.
Whats good about Zabuza arc? Naruto took off with the Sasuke Retrieval arc imo.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top