- Joined
- Dec 3, 2017
- Messages
- 222
- Reaction score
- 141
- Age
- 36
- Country
-
I think Ziga Ziga will be the "death game" thriller genre that is decently popular these days.
When you have current HxH, which is the furthest thing from the traditional image of Jump shounen manga, and pretty much a seinen manga, then you can try anything in Jump. One of the things Neverland is being advertised with is the line of it being "not-Jump-like". Sure Jump readers want something "Jump-like" but if its a well written story with good characters then it will sell. Its just a matter of "persuading" the reader-base.Would Jump be the appropriate place to try stuff like that?
I think people just want good unique stories. With good characters. I think there’s still a big market for battle series, we just haven’t had one with a good hook in a while. None of the recent ones really stand out.Don't you think that claiming that Jump readers wants to read classic battle shounen manga is inaccurate these days given the age of the readers? The majority of the readers are not kids anymore and are like us here, 18~22 years old guys who like battle shounen, but also like to read something unconventional besides that. That's why things like Assassination Classroom exploded and The Promised Neverland is flourishing. And that's another reason to say that there is no better time to have something like Act-Age on the magazine.
But you have to know the historical series/classics first to appreciate it even more. Otherwise it's just like another battle shounen.What's really sad is that more rookies, or mangaka in general don't try their hand in historical series or based on classics in Jump or other big magazines. Lots of what we have have been around for a while. If its well written, it usually sells well. I'm reading Houshin Engi right now and I really wish someone tries something similar, taking a classic and putting their own unique spin while keeping the overall plot and end result the same.
Actually looks rather cool art wise to meThe raw for the new series is up. Jujutsu Kaisen by Gege Akutami: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5577793295
I don't think this will stick around for very long, I don't think its bad I'll need to read more to make an opinion on it, but we already have two exorcism series serialized already, though Bozebeat isn't in the clear as of yet so it could have a chance.The raw for the new series is up. Jujutsu Kaisen by Gege Akutami: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5577793295
Sure it helps to know the original story but I didn't know about the original Chinese novel before I started reading Houshin Engi and it wasn't just another battle shounen. Houshin Engi is rather anti-climactic compared to traditional shounen manga however it makes up for this with its unique setting. Any appreciation gained from reading/researching the original work only adds to enjoyment. It doesn't mean you cannot be fully engrossed unless you know the source. That means the mangaka failed to draw you in and provide enough information. Kingdom is the prime example of this. Most people don't know that part of Chinese history but you're still drawn in.But you have to know the historical series/classics first to appreciate it even more. Otherwise it's just like another battle shounen.
Like the novel that Houshin Engi is based upon was aired on television as a live TV adaption with 40+ episodes. So when i read Houshin Engi I notice it right away and enjoys it very much.
It is very different from Dragonball where Toriyama just borrowed the Sun Wukong story's elements, Houshin Engi is the novel-ish in manga form.
I think it can appeal to people who like idol franchises because it is more or less the same thing, there are idols who act as well. If the protagonist is interesting enough, and I think she is, the series can catch the attention of the readers, make them root for her, etc. She is also cute, which also helps.I do agree that now is probably the best time for Act-Age to try it's hand at serialization, but my main "problem" with it is that it has a female mc. I say "problem" because it's not a problem to me personally, but I can't imagine it would be very popular with the general reader base. When was the last time a manga with a female mc was successful? Sure we have Emma, but that's one success amongst many failures.
the Chinese Warring State periods are pretty well known in Japan as well as other Confucian-influenced countries, especially since importantant Confucian writings were written down during this period like the Arts of War. Japan might like Kingdom because of this.Kingdom is the prime example of this. Most people don't know that part of Chinese history but you're still drawn in.