Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Act Age is literally only 2 places above it but Act Age is safe? I don't care that much about either but we gotta stop the bias
It is not bias, it is just logic based on people's feelings about both series. People really found Act-Age interesting and the chapters I read, the three first chapters, at least were consistent in terms of quality in my opinion. Now Bozebeats was a different story, the first chapter was good, I liked it, but the second and third was rather boring so seeing that even the first chapter made it stay near from bottom 5, the next chapters can be even worse.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I wouldn't trust the logic of a thread full of people who literally judge books by their covers .
Been here 6 years; thread used to be full of knowledgeable and passionate members yet now it feels like a bunch of teenagers playing guesswork with the most surface level of information.
I honestly prefer the edgy and more blunt form of discourse the thread has adopted over the past year or so, but we need to think before talking more.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Act Age is literally only 2 places above it but Act Age is safe? I don't care that much about either but we gotta stop the bias
I agree so far. I wouldn't call Act-Age safe just yet, but I think a decent amount of people thought it could instantly flop, so they were pleased to not see it at the bottom. People may also be treating it a bit differently since it doesn't have that much competition genre-wise within WSJ. In a similar way of how WSJ evaluates its comedies differently and is more likely to give them some leeway (such as Spring Weapon), I think people may think that Act-Age may be given similar treatment as long as it doesn't tank in sales when the time for its first volume comes.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
After having caught up a bit from what happened this week, I'm pretty pumped to see Noah's Notes' first chapter. I saw a couple random pages of it on 4chan, and it looked pretty interesting. In a way, the plot does kind of remind me of something similar in the overall premise of Dr. Stone, but only when examined from a very high level. The character designs look sharp, so that's another plus.

Looks like Act-Age had a pretty decent first ranking for something as different as it is. It'll be interesting to see where this one goes in the TOC over the next few weeks. Once the dust settles, I'll be curious to see who of Bozebeats, Jujutsu, and Ziga will remain standing. At least of of these 3 is going to be taken down by the others.
I don't know what it'll happen but I hope that at least Act-age, Noah's Notes and Ziga-Ziga survive. Those are the most interesting manga for me between the new ones.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It is not bias, it is just logic based on people's feelings about both series. People really found Act-Age interesting and the chapters I read, the three first chapters, at least were consistent in terms of quality in my opinion. Now Bozebeats was a different story, the first chapter was good, I liked it, but the second and third was rather boring so seeing that even the first chapter made it stay near from bottom 5, the next chapters can be even worse.
Because you are most definitely the representation for japanese adults and children, and is definitely not using your subjective opinion as a fact.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,719
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I'd learned to think ''a series is safe'' after 10 chapters.

Still mad with Shudan and Ole Golazo fates
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I wouldn't trust the logic of a thread full of people who literally judge books by their covers .
Been here 6 years; thread used to be full of knowledgeable and passionate members yet now it feels like a bunch of teenagers playing guesswork with the most surface level of information.
I honestly prefer the edgy and more blunt form of discourse the thread has adopted over the past year or so, but we need to think before talking more.
You should list the names so that people can defend themselves properly. :P
This forum have seen better days, but I've been here for 9 years also and position guesses based on people's feelings about the series has always been a thing here because there is no other way to discuss TOCs here without guessing. And since you are here for 9 years you should know that we are right most of the times. 9 years is an amount of time we have to take in consideration after all, we read so many things in the past years that sometimes we know that some things are not going to work.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,719
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
BTW I've been thinking in creating a special ''50 anniversary'' thread with a look to all the important titles since Otoko Ippiki to anything from 2017 or 2018 that isn't going to be axed (aka one post about Dragon Ball, one post about One Piece, one post about Hokuto no Ken, etc, in chronological order).
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
BTW I've been thinking in creating a special ''50 anniversary'' thread with a look to all the important titles since Otoko Ippiki to anything from 2017 or 2018 that isn't going to be axed (aka one post about Dragon Ball, one post about One Piece, one post about Hokuto no Ken, etc, in chronological order).
Yeah, I'd be interested in that. Maybe we could also read through a certain amount of each series, and report back to talk about it. Would give me a good excuse to check out a bunch of manga I haven't got round to yet. Not sure how many other people would be into it though.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd be interested in that. Maybe we could also read through a certain amount of each series, and report back to talk about it. Would give me a good excuse to check out a bunch of manga I haven't got round to yet. Not sure how many other people would be into it though.
hopefully meister will get the readers it deserves
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
I think people are saying that Act-Age is safer because it has considerably less competition than Boze, which is directly compared with every already running battle manga and more directly with Juju. It's not unlikely that Boze and Juju will end up cannibalizing each other.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
I don't think there are non-valid reasons to read a manga; because the art is good, because the story is interesting, because the boys or girls are cute, because it has tits and asses or handsome guys nearly kissing each other, because you find the characters charismatic, because it's refreshing and different, because it follows all your favorite tropes... the only thing that matters is your opinion and you really don't need to justify yourself to anyone else.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
On the contrary, I think you should have to justify why you read a manga. Otherwise, what's the point of posting in a discussion thread? If you only say a manga is good because it has a "cute boy" in it, then whatever, that's on you. Just be prepared for the backlash and don't be that type of person that says "well it's like my opinion so I don't care what you think".

If you're going to be that person, you shouldn't be here.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That's right, but although people has the right to like what they want, they also need to understand its flaws and criticize when it has to criticize and not just blindly say that a series is the best in the world. (Before anybody brings that out again to diminishes my opinion AGAIN, I never said that Nisekoi was perfect. Disclaimers done. :-_-). I don't really speak out everything I think about series because I don't visit series sections and threads here to avoid confusion, but I put Shokugeki no Soma in tough spots and We Never Learn has had a hard time entertaining me recently, just to give some examples.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Agreed. Then again though, he takes such long breaks that he has ample time to write down things in great detail.


Games is a completely different market. Digital games are booming. Just like how digital songs and albums are booming in the music industry. It's not just a one-off example. It's how most media are consumed in those markets these days. Manga is a different story. Digital market hasn't caught on yet.
i was just kidding, lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
On the contrary, I think you should have to justify why you read a manga. Otherwise, what's the point of posting in a discussion thread? If you only say a manga is good because it has a "cute boy" in it, then whatever, that's on you. Just be prepared for the backlash and don't be that type of person that says "well it's like my opinion so I don't care what you think".

If you're going to be that person, you shouldn't be here.
You think SharkBait has ever given a single thought to the backlash?
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
On the contrary, I think you should have to justify why you read a manga. Otherwise, what's the point of posting in a discussion thread? If you only say a manga is good because it has a "cute boy" in it, then whatever, that's on you. Just be prepared for the backlash and don't be that type of person that says "well it's like my opinion so I don't care what you think".

If you're going to be that person, you shouldn't be here.
I couldn't agree more with you. Everyone here knows that I just talk about Black Clover (and rarely other series), but of course I do not think it's perfect. Neither great. On a review I wrote (I work with that and in a radio) I gave 6.5 to the anime.

Like Leoat said, everyone has the right to read whatever you want, but can't be blind just saying "x series is the best in the world, lets venerate it!". That's just pointless.

I read and talk positively about Black Clover, but it's far from be the best series in Jump right now. When you read anything that lacks in some point, you should just admit instead of talking nonsense things just trying to justify your blindness.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But BLack Clover is the best manga in jump right now, bozebeats and haikyuu are after it. Tabatas writing along with Furudate's are always flawless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top