Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Regarding the discussion on MHA's longevity, my two cents: I think MHA is going all the way to at least 8-9 years. Ending around 500-510ish is pushing it, but should be doable if done right.
I personally think that's too long and will drag the story out. I see it ending around 350 at the maximum, which is around 37-38 volumes. I think that itself is too long but that sounds about right. The series works best in arcs of around 14-15 chapters. Horikoshi has also seemingly returned to that format with this last festival arc. Sure he may do long arcs again but I don't see too many of them in the future.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I think WT may switch magazines or find a different artist. Although Ashihara's health condition seems scary as hell from what I read so not really sure.
While I don’t think WT can really stay in Jump, switching magazines is kinda pointless. I know it’s the go to recommendation for hiatusing mangaka to switch to monthly, but that hasn’t helped the ones who have at all. In fact, it’s just made them fade out of existence even more as they hiatus just as much for monthly chapters. I definitely feel like switching artists should be a more done thing in the manga industry, but it isn’t unfortunately.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I thought the only time a different artist takes over is if the original person died? Is there precedent for it happening while one was still in the land of the living?
I don't think so. And considering that the mangaka is the owner, I believe he needs to authorize other people to do it, which a never saw in cases like that.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
While I don’t think WT can really stay in Jump, switching magazines is kinda pointless. I know it’s the go to recommendation for hiatusing mangaka to switch to monthly, but that hasn’t helped the ones who have at all. In fact, it’s just made them fade out of existence even more as they hiatus just as much for monthly chapters. I definitely feel like switching artists should be a more done thing in the manga industry, but it isn’t unfortunately.
Now that I think about it, yeah, it does seem pointless to switch to a monthly magazine. The workload doesn't change a whole lot which doesn't do much for Ashihara.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Now that I think about it, yeah, it does seem pointless to switch to a monthly magazine. The workload doesn't change a whole lot which doesn't do much for Ashihara.
40 pages a month vs 18*4 = 72 pages/month are a big difference. I think New Prince of tennis only has 20 pages a month?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
40 pages a month vs 18*4 = 72 pages/month are a big difference. I think New Prince of tennis only has 20 pages a month?
For some reason, I was under the impression it was 60 pages. Nvm then. It's been a while since Ive read a monthly manga.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
For some reason, I was under the impression it was 60 pages. Nvm then. It's been a while since Ive read a monthly manga.
you're not wrong, platinum end has 60 pages a month, while TLR Darkness has 40 pages a month. New PoT as i said 20 pages in some month?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
40 pages a month vs 18*4 = 72 pages/month are a big difference. I think New Prince of tennis only has 20 pages a month?
BLue Exorcist sometimes gets <30pgs too.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
you're not wrong, platinum end has 60 pages a month, while TLR Darkness has 40 pages a month. New PoT as i said 20 pages in some month?
All I pretty much read for monthly manga is JoJolion at this point so I wouldnt know/remember.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
you're not wrong, platinum end has 60 pages a month, while TLR Darkness has 40 pages a month. New PoT as i said 20 pages in some month?
NPoT splits its monthly releases into batches of 2-3 chapters, each ranging from 14-19 pages. Essentially, you end up with the normal 40ish page chapters that most monthly series do most of the time.

The biggest thing for WT however is whether it will be able to keep its sales up though. Its been more than a year and a half since WT went on hiatus. That's almost fatal for any series that wasn't already huge like HxH, Berserk, etc. It'll be incredibly difficult to recuperate lost popularity. Sure it may sell just like before, but fans are rather fickle.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Funny thing is that HxH sales went up after it came back from hiatus. It reached a new peak but this is HxH we're talking about. Btw any news on the boost it got from the Ametalk special?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
That one shot has pretty cool art
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I personally think that's too long and will drag the story out. I see it ending around 350 at the maximum, which is around 37-38 volumes. I think that itself is too long but that sounds about right. The series works best in arcs of around 14-15 chapters. Horikoshi has also seemingly returned to that format with this last festival arc. Sure he may do long arcs again but I don't see too many of them in the future.
Given the success that is proving I doubt it, minimum 42-45 can do them ....
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Given the success that is proving I doubt it, minimum 42-45 can do them ....
Dragging out the story because its successful is probably the worst thing that can be done to a series, especially if it has already finished up its story. Sure it can go to 42-45, but I see no need given how the length of the arcs in the story. Matsui ended his story when he needed to and AssClass is/was a bigger hit than Heroaca. Horikoshi should also end it once he's done the main story.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Dragging out the story because its successful is probably the worst thing that can be done to a series, especially if it has already finished up its story. Sure it can go to 42-45, but I see no need given how the length of the arcs in the story. Matsui ended his story when he needed to and AssClass is/was a bigger hit than Heroaca. Horikoshi should also end it once he's done the main story.
We are talking about a commercial Battle Shonen. Do not focus on quality, but on popularity.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
We are talking about a commercial Battle Shonen. Do not focus on quality, but on popularity.
Sorry what?
Forgive my saying this but that is a dangerous line of thinking prone to slippery slope reasoning and assumes a false dichotomy both from the perspective of the consumer and producer.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Sorry what?
Forgive my saying this but that is a dangerous line of thinking prone to slippery slope reasoning and assumes a false dichotomy both from the perspective of the consumer and producer.
You know that the Battle Shonen are commercial comics for boys published in a magazine for boys, yes?

You also know that they generate at best a merchandasing that brings even more money to the magazine, yes?

You know that quality is subjective and no one prevents an adult to read the aforementioned manga, yes?

Now My Hero has a media attention and a remarkable merchandsing, surely Jump will push more and more to continue it ....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top