Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,553
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I'm gonna have to correct you on this but Katekyo Hitman Reborn had a Huge presences at the exhibit ( which was very crowed ) and even has its own fan day as list here https://shonenjump-ten.com/vol3/fan.html

and that's not even going into the actual print numbers where Katekeyo Hitman Reborns is in the 30k zone along with Death note Black Clover is in the 5k zone as of right now.
And I continue to explain to you that it is not a method of comparison.

The rooms are dedicated to the most sifnific manga in recent years, and the only "recent" manga to have it is My Hero, not even Neverland is there ....

Said this, Reborn was lucky to be published at a time when Jump saw great, I doubt if it was released today in its fourth year of publication would have been at the top of the list of best sellers.
Here is the site that shows the print numbers

Katekyo Hitman Reborn:30.000.000 print

Death Note :30.000.000 print

Black Clover:5.800.000 print (not done yet)

Source https://okachi.fr/mangas/tableau-tirage/


BC still has ways to go.
But you know that we talk about two manga concussed with one still in progress?

No when even BC will be concluded you can make comparisons ....

Heroaca is actually above Reborn both in first printing and current average. Reborn hit 15 million at volume 20 whereas Heroaca hit 15 million at volume 18/19. Even if you say that's the series total, neither Smash, nor Vigilantes sell nowhere near close to 100k so I'd say its quite close to 15 almost just with Heroaca. Its already crossed it just with Oricon so that number is weird to begin with but that's beside the point.

This of course doesn't help the BC point.
And why should not you help him?

Reborn has reached 15 million in its fourth year of publication, Black Clover is at his third.

In addition, an important detail continues to elude us, THE TIMES ARE CHANGED.

Now Jump manga sells less than before. Do you think the Jump manga would have achieved the same result if it were released today?

I doubt it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
further your argument, only your stupidity.
Very mature .....

Lol no, Black Clover is nowhere near Reborn, .
I never said that it is close, only that falls within the range of manga here that are neither Big nor failures, but that they see the right .....

Obviously considering the times, because ten years ago a manga after all mediocre as Reborn could reach 15 million is turn out the fourth best-selling manga, today I doubt that there would be.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Wasn't Reborn selling for 600k-500k ? How is that not big exactly ?
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,553
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What I want to say, is that it is useless to make comparisons, not all manga make the same numbers.

There are the phenomena that happen every tot such as Haykyuu, My Hero and Neverland that are successes already written since their debut and manga that instead make their numbers over time, they cut out a niche and away .....

My Hero is clearly a phenomenon, the revelation of the decade, BC is a manga of modest success as it can be today a Kimetsu, no Study or a few years ago a Toriko or a Reborn.

And yes, I know they sold more. but it is a fact that digital sales now have a huge impact.

Ten years ago a manga of medium success could even touch the 15 million, not today ....
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Wasn't Reborn selling for 600k-500k ? How is that not big exactly ?
It has arrived with the years and thanks to a good marketing commission.

And above all ten years ago (when Reborn touched its peak) things were different ....
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
I mean it was a gag manga that went to battle shonen im honestly impressed by how well it performed
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I'm still surprised Reborn got its own room in Exhibition Volume 3 (like D.Gray-man). Shokugeki for example didn't get its own room.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,553
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I mean it was a gag manga that went to battle shonen im honestly impressed by how well it performed
As I have already said, they were other times.

Moreover at the time there was a not indifferent marketing between anime, OAV, videogame, CD, drama etc that surely contributes to sales ....
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm still surprised Reborn got its own room in Exhibition Volume 3 (like D.Gray-man). Shokugeki for example didn't get its own room.
However, Reborn went on for 8 years, and in 2008 it was the fourth best-selling manga. ....
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I'm allergic to Amanos' work so this hockey oneshot better BLOW MY MIND :hi.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Togashi (Hunter x Hunter) go to Keyakizaka46 (idol group) concert. And for occasion, he give flowers.
I'm not sure if he actually attends the concerts but I know this is like his 3rd known time sending flowers to them lol. We're all fanboys over something.
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,553
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
When was Soma's sales peak?
 

Mori takai

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2015
Messages
188
Reaction score
53
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
And I continue to explain to you that it is not a method of comparison.

The rooms are dedicated to the most sifnific manga in recent years, and the only "recent" manga to have it is My Hero, not even Neverland is there ....

Said this, Reborn was lucky to be published at a time when Jump saw great, I doubt if it was released today in its fourth year of publication would have been at the top of the list of best sellers.
I'm Not sure what your trying to say Friend but REBORN was literally trending in Japan with the stage play news came out ( Evident here at 24.4k retweets and hashtag )

)



and That's not adding where it Ranked in NHK's (Japan's biggest Broadcaster ) 100 anime anniversary ranking in 2017 Reborn ranked at 64 that's pretty high up for a series that has been done for years ( especially when no one in Japan voted for DB at the time )

https://myanimelist.net/news/50582644

Hack its Top seller on Rightstuff.com

https://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Blu~ray/top-selling-anime-manga/top-sellers?display=list


I think if It came now it would do pretty well for its self



all in all I wish BC was Being pushed But I'm honest to God telling you I don't see that at all in the exhibit and I think the anime is like half way done ? ( again I never seen it ) I think that is more then enough time to push it in fact that is probably the right time to do it mean its episode count is now closer to MHA right ?
 
Last edited:

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,553
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
all in all I wish BC was Being pushed But I'm honest to God telling you I don't see that at all in the exhibit and I think the anime is like half way done ? ( again I never seen it ) I think that is more then enough time to push it in fact that is probably the right time to do it mean its episode count is now closer to MHA right ?
And what would you like to prove?

Reborn was a mediocre manga, yet he arrived at age 8, he had a very strong merchandasing and above all he was fourth, and I repeat FOURTH, of the best-selling manga of 2008.

So that they gave him a room is more than normal.

The fact that BC has not had a somb, for the last time, is not a note of demerit because the amostra stopped at My Hero and not even Neverland, which is the revelation of the last years, did not have it.

Do you understand this?


One last thing:

Both Neverland and Kimetsu are of the 2016, yet the first sells more despite having started later.

Why ?

Because there are clearly manga that turn out to be big shots right away, and others not.

My Hero is one of these cases.
 
Last edited:

Mori takai

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2015
Messages
188
Reaction score
53
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
And what would you like to prove?

Reborn was a mediocre manga.
at this point its just personal opinion which is okay for you to have but you can't change the opinions of those millions of Japanese who did support REBORN having a fan day, its own Room and spot light is sign of success that jump acknowledges something I very much enjoy seeing in my time in japan meeting all these people who are Reborn fans and still read it to this day along with Newer titles like Neverland.


Edit here is a an example I think Bleach is a mediocre manga, Kubo gives me stomach pains hence why I don't read his work But I know for a Fact Jump is giving a Huge presence at the Exhibit for good reason Bleach was Popular ( heck Jump in japan treat it like it still is )
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Reborn was a mediocre manga
Not an argument, other poster can say the same with Black clover and yet it don't sell as much as Reborn.
Reborn was a manga serialize in a tough moment (like World trigger) to start a series in the magazine and yet it become a series with a large fanbase.
I don't even like amano writing but trying to denied the popularity of reborn, is crazy, is like saying that Dragon ball, slam dunk or fist of north star wouldn't have been sold that much in 2018...
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
this is getting way out of topic and sorry If offended you but it is getting harder and harder to understand what ice king is saying, (wording? spelling? )

とにかく(sorry, always wanted to do that) You cannot deny that reborn was a somewhat commercial success back in its day, especially if we launch aligned it with some of the more current series,

was it merely because it came out at the right time? maybe, luck always play a factor in a series chances of survival, would MHA survive for as long as it did IF it came out a bit earlier when Naruto and other big names were still present , would BC even manage to break U19 club if Bleach is still running and popular at the same time? we have no way to actually know because these are what if.

Time have change, some older reader move on, and newer readers kept coming in.

The economic state of the industry is also a factor, piracy is only getting worse and slowly but surely the industry is creeping to digital, which make comparison harder.


although the main and reliable numbers we get are still from physical copies and unless we can track weekly digital better we just have to use what we got.


edit: spelling, wording
 

Mori takai

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2015
Messages
188
Reaction score
53
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Not an argument, other poster can say the same with Black clover and yet it don't sell as much as Reborn.
Reborn was a manga serialize in a tough moment (like World trigger) to start a series in the magazine and yet it become a series with a large fanbase.
I don't even like amano writing but trying to denied the popularity of reborn, is crazy, is like saying that Dragon ball, slam dunk or fist of north star wouldn't have been sold that much in 2018...
I used Bleach as an example but you beat me to it ;)
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,553
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Not an argument, other poster can say the same with Black clover and yet it don't sell as much as Reborn.
Reborn was a manga serialize in a tough moment (like World trigger) to start a series in the magazine and yet it become a series with a large fanbase.
I don't even like amano writing but trying to denied the popularity of reborn, is crazy, is like saying that Dragon ball, slam dunk or fist of north star wouldn't have been sold that much in 2018...
Ah.

And when would I try to deny his popularity?

It seems to me that in the last post I did not do much more than say that it was very popular ....

And again, the fact that it sold more than Black Clover does not mean ANYTHING.

Other themes, other modalities.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
at this point its just personal opinion which is okay for you to have but you can't change the opinions of those millions of Japanese who did support REBORN having a fan day, its own Room and spot light is sign of success that jump acknowledges something I very much enjoy seeing in my time in japan meeting all these people who are Reborn fans and still read it to this day along with Newer titles like Neverland.
Quality does not mean popularity.

Reborn was mediocre in all, storytelling, characters, fights etc. Yet despite all this it was the fourth best-selling manga of 2008 and is still remembered today.

So the Jump rightly gives it space.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
About Reborn, what still gets me annoyed is that the name of the Earth flame of the guy who beat Yamamoto never was revealed.

About Black Clover popularity, I think its popularity has increased a lot these last months. Still, Black Clover is for example the only manga Yonkou deliberately avoids to give any info (at least that's the impression I have). The dark legend it had is still strong.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,553
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
ut it is getting harder and harder to understand what ice king is saying,
Er, why ?

You cannot deny that reborn was a somewhat commercial success back in its day, especially if we launch aligned it with some of the more current series,
But......

Nobody is denying it .....

Time have change, some older reader move on, and newer readers kept coming in.

The economic state of the industry is also a factor, piracy is only getting worse and slowly but surely the industry is creeping to digital, which make comparison harder.
I agree.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
#36/37 :
Akira AMANO oneshot title will be Hot and will be about ice hokey.
Will have a booklet with girls illustrations by Naoshi KOMI, Hiroshi SHIIBASHI, Yûsuke MURATA, etc...
Will have new info about Kimetsu no Yaiba anime.

Well it is time for Amano to think about what's next now that elDLIVE is deep in the final season.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top