
when will I...

Don't think so - I tend to avoid signing up/joining anything I don't have to@zimbardo do you have Elsevier/ResearchGate account by chance? Just asking
rich boi

Sept 7th till 28th - though I'm probably not going to be all that free.When are you flying there zimb? I‘ll be going to Japan soon myself, in september.
hmmm....Don't think so - I tend to avoid signing up/joining anything I don't have to
Especially as I probably won't be staying all that much longer in academia, so don't really need to 'get myself out there' [I supply a reference list with my CV anyway].
I did consider trying to get another post doc position with a professor I know in Japan, but heard that he is going to retire next year... kinda a shame, as I probably could have easily got a job there and I did want to go back to Japan one more time before I move onto other things...
Where you going anyway?When are you flying there zimb? I‘ll be going to Japan soon myself, in september.
Austria is great for bringing up kids.hmmm....
if you had to choose, which country would you prefer to live with your family? Japan or Austria? Which do you think is good for your children?

Sounds like a packed schedule, but also like a lovely time. Will be fun.Sept 7th till 28th - though I'm probably not going to be all that free.
First week am spending with my dad, then am moving to my wife's brothers house (to meet a load of her family), then to a lab to meet a collaborator ('cause, it'd be good to talk in person), then probably to meet more of her family in Tokyo...
... that said, it'll still be more of a holiday than anything else I have had in the last 2 years.
Am pretty stoked to get back there.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Tokyo yeah. Think the hotel‘s in the Akiba district somewhere.Where you going anyway?
Tokyo?
Been to Japan before?

--- Double Post Merged, ---
Can‘t promise anything

Well, if I'm in Tokyo when you are, I'm sure I'll be able to skip the family for a bit to show you the sights.Will be my first time going. Stay almost exactly as long as you, ~3 weeks. Have no idea where to go or what to do and can‘t speak japanese, so that‘ll be.. something![]()

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
No it‘s alright, wouldn‘t want to bother you. And besides I‘m probably too shy to meet.. But a fun coincidence we‘re there at the same time almost.Well, if I'm in Tokyo when you are, I'm sure I'll be able to skip the family for a bit to show you the sights.
I've been to Tokyo a fair few times.
I wouldn't worry about ye olde 日本語, in Tokyo, you should be able to get around pretty well without it.
Just learn the kanji for 1 - 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000 (一二三四五六七八九十 百 千 万) <- restaurants which use these symbols tend to be expensive, but great
- so if you see these characters in Tokyo, be careful about how much you are spending (though, I have been to places where they use Japanese numbers and the food is still pretty affordable)
Then go to restaurants with pictures or shokuhin sampuru/izakaya with touchscreens and point at stuff and say 'okudasai', or go to restaurants (typically fast food joints like ramen restaurants) with vending machines to order from [and order from them].
If you want to really have fun, go to restaurants without any English menu's/pictures point at random shit (kanji) and say 'kono' <- it's what I do [well, I don't say 'this', as I can read some Japanese (and speak a smidgen), but kanji do suck balls and I often don't know the exciting ones in the menu (knowing obvious ones only)], or you can ask the waiter what is good by saying 'Nani ga o susumedesu ka?'
Oh, big tip - don't, whatever you do, eat on the main street (it's far more expensive and the food is often not as good), go one side street down and eat there.
... and NEVER CATCH TAXIS (super expensive and if you don't have the exact place written down [in 日本語], then they may well not take you to the correct place).
They'll all be in romaji (if meant for visitors)Know katakana already so I should be able to understand some signs/text meant for visitors.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Happens before you know it Yesta-san.
when will I...
Rock on!
Ofc but just saying them watery reflections will be great for group picsSounds like a packed schedule, but also like a lovely time. Will be fun.
Just asked for curiosity
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Tokyo yeah. Think the hotel‘s in the Akiba district somewhere.
Will be my first time going. Stay almost exactly as long as you, ~3 weeks. Have no idea where to go or what to do and can‘t speak japanese, so that‘ll be.. something
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Can‘t promise anything![]()
.Can‘t argue with that.Ofc but just saying them watery reflections will be great for group pics.
Bout 2weeks iircHow long did it take from when you sent to now?
I sent on the 13thHow long did it take from when you sent to now?
Aah...less than 10days and thats counting a sundayI sent on the 13th