The Last Person to Post Wins - Pixie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiki

S-kyuu Madoushi
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,668
Reaction score
31,955
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fairy Tail
:feelsbadman

when will I...
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
@zimbardo do you have Elsevier/ResearchGate account by chance? Just asking
Don't think so - I tend to avoid signing up/joining anything I don't have to

Especially as I probably won't be staying all that much longer in academia, so don't really need to 'get myself out there' [I supply a reference list with my CV anyway].

I did consider trying to get another post doc position with a professor I know in Japan, but heard that he is going to retire next year... kinda a shame, as I probably could have easily got a job there and I did want to go back to Japan one more time before I move onto other things...
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
When are you flying there zimb? I‘ll be going to Japan soon myself, in september.
Sept 7th till 28th - though I'm probably not going to be all that free.
First week am spending with my dad, then am moving to my wife's brothers house (to meet a load of her family), then to a lab to meet a collaborator ('cause, it'd be good to talk in person), then probably to meet more of her family in Tokyo...

... that said, it'll still be more of a holiday than anything else I have had in the last 2 years.

Am pretty stoked to get back there.
 

Kiki

S-kyuu Madoushi
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,668
Reaction score
31,955
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fairy Tail
Don't think so - I tend to avoid signing up/joining anything I don't have to

Especially as I probably won't be staying all that much longer in academia, so don't really need to 'get myself out there' [I supply a reference list with my CV anyway].

I did consider trying to get another post doc position with a professor I know in Japan, but heard that he is going to retire next year... kinda a shame, as I probably could have easily got a job there and I did want to go back to Japan one more time before I move onto other things...
hmmm....

if you had to choose, which country would you prefer to live with your family? Japan or Austria? Which do you think is good for your children?
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
When are you flying there zimb? I‘ll be going to Japan soon myself, in september.
Where you going anyway?
Tokyo?
Been to Japan before?
hmmm....

if you had to choose, which country would you prefer to live with your family? Japan or Austria? Which do you think is good for your children?
Austria is great for bringing up kids.
Though, for me (and I'm sure my wife), Japan (no need to even think for an answer like that).

Though, depending on what state it's in when I finish, I'll probably end up living back in the UK
:derp
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,639
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Sept 7th till 28th - though I'm probably not going to be all that free.
First week am spending with my dad, then am moving to my wife's brothers house (to meet a load of her family), then to a lab to meet a collaborator ('cause, it'd be good to talk in person), then probably to meet more of her family in Tokyo...

... that said, it'll still be more of a holiday than anything else I have had in the last 2 years.

Am pretty stoked to get back there.
Sounds like a packed schedule, but also like a lovely time. Will be fun.

Just asked for curiosity :paperbag
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Where you going anyway?
Tokyo?
Been to Japan before?
Tokyo yeah. Think the hotel‘s in the Akiba district somewhere.

Will be my first time going. Stay almost exactly as long as you, ~3 weeks. Have no idea where to go or what to do and can‘t speak japanese, so that‘ll be.. something :ninja
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Yer next trip must be for Florida, so we can enjoy some of that wonderful Miami beach again.
@gnut, @xnut, @Mazino . :zomg

Take some pics to share here @ gry.
Can‘t promise anything :paperbag
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Will be my first time going. Stay almost exactly as long as you, ~3 weeks. Have no idea where to go or what to do and can‘t speak japanese, so that‘ll be.. something :ninja
Well, if I'm in Tokyo when you are, I'm sure I'll be able to skip the family for a bit to show you the sights.
I've been to Tokyo a fair few times.

I wouldn't worry about ye olde 日本語, in Tokyo, you should be able to get around pretty well without it.
Just learn the kanji for 1 - 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000 (一二三四五六七八九十 百 千 万) <- restaurants which use these symbols tend to be expensive, but great
- so if you see these characters in Tokyo, be careful about how much you are spending (though, I have been to places where they use Japanese numbers and the food is still pretty affordable)

Then go to restaurants with pictures or shokuhin sampuru/izakaya with touchscreens and point at stuff and say 'okudasai', or go to restaurants (typically fast food joints like ramen restaurants) with vending machines to order from [and order from them].

If you want to really have fun, go to restaurants without any English menu's/pictures point at random shit (kanji) and say 'kono' <- it's what I do [well, I don't say 'this', as I can read some Japanese (and speak a smidgen), but kanji do suck balls and I often don't know the exciting ones in the menu (knowing obvious ones only)], or you can ask the waiter what is good by saying 'Nani ga o susumedesu ka?'

Oh, big tip - don't, whatever you do, eat on the main street (it's far more expensive and the food is often not as good), go one side street down and eat there.
... and NEVER CATCH TAXIS (super expensive and if you don't have the exact place written down [in 日本語], then they may well not take you to the correct place).
 
Last edited:

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,639
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Getting a new phone case feels like getting a new phone :zomg
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Well, if I'm in Tokyo when you are, I'm sure I'll be able to skip the family for a bit to show you the sights.
I've been to Tokyo a fair few times.

I wouldn't worry about ye olde 日本語, in Tokyo, you should be able to get around pretty well without it.
Just learn the kanji for 1 - 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000 (一二三四五六七八九十 百 千 万) <- restaurants which use these symbols tend to be expensive, but great
- so if you see these characters in Tokyo, be careful about how much you are spending (though, I have been to places where they use Japanese numbers and the food is still pretty affordable)

Then go to restaurants with pictures or shokuhin sampuru/izakaya with touchscreens and point at stuff and say 'okudasai', or go to restaurants (typically fast food joints like ramen restaurants) with vending machines to order from [and order from them].

If you want to really have fun, go to restaurants without any English menu's/pictures point at random shit (kanji) and say 'kono' <- it's what I do [well, I don't say 'this', as I can read some Japanese (and speak a smidgen), but kanji do suck balls and I often don't know the exciting ones in the menu (knowing obvious ones only)], or you can ask the waiter what is good by saying 'Nani ga o susumedesu ka?'

Oh, big tip - don't, whatever you do, eat on the main street (it's far more expensive and the food is often not as good), go one side street down and eat there.
... and NEVER CATCH TAXIS (super expensive and if you don't have the exact place written down [in 日本語], then they may well not take you to the correct place).
No it‘s alright, wouldn‘t want to bother you. And besides I‘m probably too shy to meet.. But a fun coincidence we‘re there at the same time almost.

That‘s some great tips :verily Will be helpful for sure, thanks!
I‘ll probably go to the very expensive restaurants too, but not as common, but will learn some kanji like those. Know katakana already so I should be able to understand some signs/text meant for visitors. Am interested in those touchscreen things I‘ve seen people order food from, need to eat as much curry as I can while there. *-*

Will have to look up where all those good weeb anime/manga/game stores are for a bunch of looking around or souvenirs, and make sure I visit a lot of nice places around the main Tokyo districts. Will be a nice time.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Know katakana already so I should be able to understand some signs/text meant for visitors.
They'll all be in romaji (if meant for visitors)

Any other signs (such as those in train stations) will probably be in kanji (for Japanese visitors)
:invalid
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@zimbardo
Got the package...working in the yard.
Will open later:woo
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo
Got the package...working in the yard.
Will open later:woo
Rock on!

I hope that it's the kind of stuff you were asking for (can't believe you didn't want chilli sauce - there's a fucking great shop near my parent's house... bought myself a load of stuff)
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,639
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
How long did it take from when you sent to now?
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,759
Reaction score
26,077
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sounds like a packed schedule, but also like a lovely time. Will be fun.

Just asked for curiosity :paperbag
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Tokyo yeah. Think the hotel‘s in the Akiba district somewhere.

Will be my first time going. Stay almost exactly as long as you, ~3 weeks. Have no idea where to go or what to do and can‘t speak japanese, so that‘ll be.. something :ninja
--- Double Post Merged, ---


Can‘t promise anything :paperbag
Ofc but just saying them watery reflections will be great for group pics :derp.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top