I'm not arguing that these 2 were bad
I'm saying they already gave them a shot at Giga and they did bad
so why did they gave them another chance? what was the point of their run in Giga if not to measure popularity?
GIGA seems to be the stepping stone for a future serialization in Jump. Even if those two failed, at least the authors proved they were capable of handling a serialization.
I'm not arguing that these 2 were bad
this isn't an excuse
they shouldn't have cancelled what was running at the moment if they didn't have something better
And what did they cancel for them, Bozebeats? Not much point in letting that run for longer. Tomatoypoo moved to +. They had to fill in the slots with something.
Even a Broken Clock is Right Twice a Day
if he keeps throwing spaghetti at the wall something eventually is going to stick
So he's doing the same thing other Editors in Chief were doing.
I only remember one before Nak is Jump new generation in 2012 with Nisekoi, AssClass, Soma and HQ
notice how all 4 series were established and successful they didn't push an exorcist manga written by a rookie only for it to flop after 12 weeks
and I disagree about "they don't really hurt anyone" part
it hurt the series they're pushing
if they're successful people will say it's only successful because they pushed it
if they flop people will say haha it flopped despite all the pushing
All I will say, 2012 was an exceptional year for Jump. New series also took off more easily back then.
I don't see how promotional campaigns hurt something. If a manga with a campaign gets axed, it's not that much different from a manga with no name campaign that gets axed, it will be quickly disposed of and chances are they didn't invest too much money into the campaign for it.
If a series is successful and people say it's only successful because of a promotional campaign, it doesn't hurt the series at all, especially in Japan where things really matter.
If a series flops, it flops, not much you can do about it. I'm sure in the past there were plenty of other promising new startups from bigger authors that heavily disappointed and flopped. (edit: it also depends what your definition of a flop would be)