One Piece Power Level Discussion Thread

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Ground Rules for the Power Level Discussion Thread
​

As always, please follow the guidelines set by the Forum Rules that apply across the board.

It's important that discussions from a current chapter are spoiler tagged until 24h have passed from an english release.

  • For the sake of constructive discussion, where and when possible please quote/ source any information you provide. Particularly when it comes to conversations carried over from other threads.
  • Avoid passive agressive posts, sly remarks or baiting/trolling. You can certainly have fun or disagree without it being at someone's expense.
  • Only use anime examples that are canon and as means to provide clarity to pages in the manga. Any other anime material is otherwise non-canon and should only be referenced if it can be proved that the mangaka had approved it.
  • We will strive to avoid repetitive discussions and any extensive battle topics will be guided to the Davy Back fight to existing threads or new ones can be made there.

As of now these topics are shelved due to repetitiveness or until the manga can present us with material to further discussions:

  1. Shanks v Mihawk
  2. Hand to hand fighters > Swordsmen
  3. Zoro > Luffy
  4. Zoro v Sanji
  5. Is Smoker a top 30 character?
  6. Mihawk's rank within the story
  7. Law having CoC currently.
  8. Katakuri > Kaido/Luffy/Etc.

If you wish to continue any of these discussion and remove it from the list, you will need to provide manga material as proof. If there's also anything you think we've covered numerous times, let me know and I'll update the list.

This is the only warning there'll be regarding these ground rules, anything no adhering will be removed. So please just check your posts before posting them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
You want proof I'll give you proof.
Back in Marineford Akainu noted that Whitebeard and pretty much everyone else was second rate Pirates compared to Roger. They were all virtually in the background with Roger leading the way in everything (power, fame, wealth).
The only person, I repeat only person able to duel the freaking Pirate King was the Hero of the Marines (You know who). Not Whitebeard, he wasn't strong enough to battle Roger. Nobody was except Garp.

Now please interpret all you want but it's all laid bare right there in Marineford why the WBP stood no chance of victory.
Hence, the best plan Whitebeard had was to sink Marineford not face a demon (I believe this was the word every notorious pirate of the old gen used to describe Garp).
He was feared in the seas back then and still is.
Remember Big Mom's first conversation with Luffy? She still held a grudge on Garp for only God knows what he had done to her.
In fact most powerful pirates of their time did.


You might be wondering why I don't post panels. You won't believe me if I told you I don't know how. Honestly I don't.
You're not giving anything there dude... You're telling me Garp was a legend? That he was strong enough to duel with Roger? We all know that already. That was 20 years ago. Give me a proof that Garp during Marineford was still strong enough to be stronger than Whitebeard. Nothing ever implied that.
Heck, Sengku and Garp fought with Blackbeard (the Blackbeard who a dying Whitebeard was still able to heavily damage) and freaking Burgess, they didn't come out on top, you're telling me Garp was stronger than Whitebeard? That's insane.
I don't want that old hype from 20 years ago, these are the only arguments Garp has for himself and he's gotten old and weaker, that's coming from his own mouth. I think he's still very powerful, but stronger than a Yonko? Stronger than the Strongest Man in the World? I'm waiting for your proof... His hype and reputation from the past won't convince me of it.

EDIT: and i don't remember anything about comparing Garp to a demon. Arguably i might just not remember that so bad memory from me. However i remember Whitebeard saying to his troops "don't be scared of his title, he's just an old man".
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

No reason to believe Garp is stronger than Whitebeard, but he's still strong enough to probably be on or near the top tier. Garp may have weakened due to age or not having good challenge, but he's still pretty dangerous. I'm not sure why he's getting criticism when he hasn't shown he's weak at all.
I agree with this entirely.
He's indeed dangerous, he's indeed not weak at all. I never said anything like this. But people hype him up as if he was Whitebeard level? Like, i just can't agree with that.
Is it a criticism or hate on his character to say that he's not WB or Yonko level? There's a huge margin between being weak and being stronger than Whitebeard. What i stated in my first post is: i think Garp is just below Aokiji/Kizaru/Akainu level; strong enough to push them to high diff, but i see the Admirals winning against him. That would still place Garp very high in power levels. Never said he was weak and to be hnnest, saying a character would push Akainu to high diff is not a criticism at all, this is praise. Especially since i'm basing myself entirely off the hype he gets from 20 years ago. But that hype alone doesn't make me put him in Yonko level. Is it really that wrong of me?
 

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
655
Reaction score
580
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
You're not giving anything there dude... You're telling me Garp was a legend? That he was strong enough to duel with Roger? We all know that already. That was 20 years ago. Give me a proof that Garp during Marineford was still strong enough to be stronger than Whitebeard. Nothing ever implied that.
Heck, Sengku and Garp fought with Blackbeard (the Blackbeard who a dying Whitebeard was still able to heavily damage) and freaking Burgess, they didn't come out on top, you're telling me Garp was stronger than Whitebeard? That's insane.
I don't want that old hype from 20 years ago, these are the only arguments Garp has for himself and he's gotten old and weaker, that's coming from his own mouth. I think he's still very powerful, but stronger than a Yonko? Stronger than the Strongest Man in the World? I'm waiting for your proof... His hype and reputation from the past won't convince me of it.
You lost me there the moment you said you aren't interested in old hype. Of course that's all Garp's got going for him. I was never implying he's still as strong as his younger self at Pirate king level. Never.

I've had this conversation before and my opinion is that current Garp standards have dropped due to old age as with all the living legends we have.
The only problem is where does he lie in the current power scale.

Yonko lvl? Probably
Admiral lvl? Probably
YC lvl? Of course not

This is where we are kept in excitement by wish of the writer.

But I can as well predict with the little we've seen of current Garp that he's at one of those 2 levels.

Wherever you put old Rayleigh is where you put old Garp if not slightly above that.

But in the end, someone will have the last laugh.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

You're not giving anything there dude... You're telling me Garp was a legend? That he was strong enough to duel with Roger? We all know that already. That was 20 years ago. Give me a proof that Garp during Marineford was still strong enough to be stronger than Whitebeard. Nothing ever implied that.
Heck, Sengku and Garp fought with Blackbeard (the Blackbeard who a dying Whitebeard was still able to heavily damage) and freaking Burgess, they didn't come out on top, you're telling me Garp was stronger than Whitebeard? That's insane.
I don't want that old hype from 20 years ago, these are the only arguments Garp has for himself and he's gotten old and weaker, that's coming from his own mouth. I think he's still very powerful, but stronger than a Yonko? Stronger than the Strongest Man in the World? I'm waiting for your proof... His hype and reputation from the past won't convince me of it.

EDIT: and i don't remember anything about comparing Garp to a demon. Arguably i might just not remember that so bad memory from me. However i remember Whitebeard saying to his troops "don't be scared of his title, he's just an old man".
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---



I agree with this entirely.
He's indeed dangerous, he's indeed not weak at all. I never said anything like this. But people hype him up as if he was Whitebeard level? Like, i just can't agree with that.
Is it a criticism or hate on his character to say that he's not WB or Yonko level? There's a huge margin between being weak and being stronger than Whitebeard. What i stated in my first post is: i think Garp is just below Aokiji/Kizaru/Akainu level; strong enough to push them to high diff, but i see the Admirals winning against him. That would still place Garp very high in power levels. Never said he was weak and to be hnnest, saying a character would push Akainu to high diff is not a criticism at all, this is praise. Especially since i'm basing myself entirely off the hype he gets from 20 years ago. But that hype alone doesn't make me put him in Yonko level. Is it really that wrong of me?
It just shows you've come to your own conclusion of where he belongs in the power scale.

I've also long come to mine and from what you've said, we are not too dissimilar in that sense.

You see current Garp as close to Yonko and Admiral level.
I see current Garp as equal to Yonko and Admiral level.

Guess it's settled then.
 

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
You lost me there the moment you said you aren't interested in old hype. Of course that's all Garp's got going for him. I was never implying he's still as strong as his younger self at Pirate king level. Never.

I've had this conversation before and my opinion is that current Garp standards have dropped due to old age as with all the living legends we have.
The only problem is where does he lie in the current power scale.
Nice, we agree with each other about it.

Yonko lvl? Probably
Admiral lvl? Probably
YC lvl? Of course not

This is where we are kept in excitement by wish of the writer.

But I can as well predict with the little we've seen of current Garp that he's at one of those 2 levels.

Wherever you put old Rayleigh is where you put old Garp if not slightly above that.
Uh... So Rayleigh is Yonko level now?
I don't even place Rayleigh above Admirals. Just like Garp, he's able to fight kind of evenly with the three pre-timeskip Admirals, but would lose to any of them in the end. That's what i think. And i think the exact same about Garp.

So "with the little we've seen of current Garp he's at one of those 2 levels", so my question is, which feats are you talking about?
Which feats from current Garp makes you put him at Admiral / Yonko level? Especially Yonko level. I'm intrigued which feats you're talking about.

But in the end, someone will have the last laugh.
Well i'll be honest, i'm fully expecting Garp to eventually prove his worth, way more than what he did in Marineford. I would be extremely disappointed otherwise. So that wouldn't surprise me or sadden me to see him at Admiral level (Yonko level, nah, that's not happening imo). For now though, i don't place him at that tier.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

It just shows you've come to your own conclusion of where he belongs in the power scale.

I've also long come to mine and from what you've said, we are not too dissimilar in that sense.

You see current Garp as close to Yonko and Admiral level.
I see current Garp as equal to Yonko and Admiral level.

Guess it's settled then.
Agreed. And as M3J said anyway, it's very hard to judge Garp's level for now. His hype is pretty much the only thing we can base ourselves off, which is ok for some, which i'm not really fine with. We'll see when he gets his time to shine, which hopefully will come. I actually want him to shine, not hating him at all tbh.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
It was very much implied. Roger himself in a flashback mentioned that he and Garp nearly killed each other multiple times before mentioning how he had grow to trust Roger then laying the burden to raising Ace to him.

Meanwhile Roger was superior to Whitebeard. They were rivals but Roger was the strongest Whitebeard is just the best of the rest (among pirates).
He only got his epithet – World strongest man – after the demise of Roger.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



I do agree with your point.
I find it stupid on Ace's side that he was trying to make WB pirate king when the man himself had no such desire.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Oh and I've been thinking:

World Strongest Man
World Strongest Creature (does this include man?) cos man is also a creature.

So Kaido > WB

Well, they did say if it's one on one always bet on Kaido.

Hmmm... :hmm

But as HP highlighted recently, Japanese can be sometimes ambiguous and misdirectional.
Did Ace know that though?

I dunno, I also see Kaidou being hyped as being abnormal because of his strength or durability, and that he may not be that much stronger than Whitebeard. But then again, Whitebeard also has a damaging fruit that could give him the edge over Kaidou.
I agree with this entirely.
He's indeed dangerous, he's indeed not weak at all. I never said anything like this. But people hype him up as if he was Whitebeard level? Like, i just can't agree with that.
Is it a criticism or hate on his character to say that he's not WB or Yonko level? There's a huge margin between being weak and being stronger than Whitebeard. What i stated in my first post is: i think Garp is just below Aokiji/Kizaru/Akainu level; strong enough to push them to high diff, but i see the Admirals winning against him. That would still place Garp very high in power levels. Never said he was weak and to be hnnest, saying a character would push Akainu to high diff is not a criticism at all, this is praise. Especially since i'm basing myself entirely off the hype he gets from 20 years ago. But that hype alone doesn't make me put him in Yonko level. Is it really that wrong of me?
Honestly speaking, I see Garp on or extremely close to Whitebeard level, even if he loses most scenarios. I also still see him likely beating Kizaru and Aokiji, even if he loses to Akainu. I don't mind you saying he's not Yonkou level, but I question anyone saying he's not strong enough to be even admiral level. I mean so far, he hasn't had any bad showing that works against him.
 

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
655
Reaction score
580
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Which feats from current Garp makes you put him at Admiral / Yonko level? Especially Yonko level. I'm intrigued which feats you're talking about.
The only feat I've seen is the one-shot of Marco.

Also, in my probably outrageous ranking of current Garp equal to Yonko and Admirals.

It's important to note that in any given one on one matchups you'll nearly always have a winner even if it were between Yonko. They might be classed in the same power tier but one is stronger than the other and it can range from slightly to very slightly.

Aokiji lost to Akainu, both are Admiral level but one is slightly stronger.
Garp could lose to Akainu or vice versa and I'll still view him as Admiral level.

Similarly;
Big Mom/Kaido could lose to Garp or vice versa and I'll consider him Yonko level as Kaido could lose to Shanks or vice versa yet both are Yonko level.

Bottomline: It all depends on how intense and how good a performance either opponent shows within their power tier as a one-shot, two-shot, three-shot (you get what I mean) tells us 2 opponents aren't of the same power level.
Like with Garp (Yonko/Admiral level) and Marco (YC lvl), Kaido (Yonko level) and Luffy (YC level), Rayleigh (Yonko/Admiral level) and Luffy (YC level), Fujitora (Admiral level) and Sabo (YC level)

PS: This is mostly my opinion
 

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
Honestly speaking, I see Garp on or extremely close to Whitebeard level, even if he loses most scenarios. I also still see him likely beating Kizaru and Aokiji, even if he loses to Akainu. I don't mind you saying he's not Yonkou level, but I question anyone saying he's not strong enough to be even admiral level. I mean so far, he hasn't had any bad showing that works against him.
Fair enough. I'd be willing to accept Garp being Admiral level as i said. But i question, personally, anyone saying Garp is Yonko level.
Heck, Blackbeard was willing to fight with Sengoku and Garp, and shat his pants with Shanks. Garp is no Yonko level.
Plus i don't get what you're saying. You're saying Garp would lose to Akainu but at the same time Garp is on or extremely close to Whitebeard level? Isn't that contradictory?
 

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
655
Reaction score
580
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Which feats from current Garp makes you put him at Admiral / Yonko level? Especially Yonko level. I'm intrigued which feats you're talking about.
The only feat I've seen is the one-shot of Marco.

Also, in my probably outrageous ranking of current Garp equal to Yonko and Admirals.

It's important to note that in any given one on one matchups you'll nearly always have a winner even if it were between Yonko. They might be classed in the same power tier but one is stronger than the other and it can range from slightly to very slightly.

Aokiji lost to Akainu, both are Admiral level but one is slightly stronger.
Garp could lose to Akainu or vice versa and I'll still view him as Admiral level.

Similarly;
Big Mom/Kaido could lose to Garp or vice versa and I'll consider him Yonko level as Kaido could lose to Shanks or vice versa yet both are Yonko level.

Bottomline: It all depends on how intense and how good a performance either opponent shows within their power tier as a one-shot, two-shot, three-shot (you get what I mean) tells us 2 opponents aren't of the same power level.
Like with Garp (Yonko/Admiral level) and Marco (YC lvl), Kaido (Yonko level) and Luffy (YC level), Rayleigh (Yonko/Admiral level) and Luffy (YC level), Fujitora (Admiral level) and Sabo (YC level
Fair enough. I'd be willing to accept Garp being Admiral level as i said. But i question, personally, anyone saying Garp is Yonko level.
Heck, Blackbeard was willing to fight with Sengoku and Garp, and shat his pants with Shanks. Garp is no Yonko level.
Plus i don't get what you're saying. You're saying Garp would lose to Akainu but at the same time Garp is on or extremely close to Whitebeard level? Isn't that contradictory?
That Shanks guy eh?

If you put it that way then:

Shanks > WB
Since BB was willing to fight WB but not Shanks (he's a Haki beast so I get why he'd run back then)
 

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
The only feat I've seen is the one-shot of Marco.

Also, in my probably outrageous ranking of current Garp equal to Yonko and Admirals.

It's important to note that in any given one on one matchups you'll nearly always have a winner even if it were between Yonko. They might be classed in the same power tier but one is stronger than the other and it can range from slightly to very slightly.

Aokiji lost to Akainu, both are Admiral level but one is slightly stronger.
Garp could lose to Akainu or vice versa and I'll still view him as Admiral level.

Similarly;
Big Mom/Kaido could lose to Garp or vice versa and I'll consider him Yonko level as Kaido could lose to Shanks or vice versa yet both are Yonko level.

Bottomline: It all depends on how intense and how good a performance either opponent shows within their power tier as a one-shot, two-shot, three-shot (you get what I mean) tells us 2 opponents aren't of the same power level.
Like with Garp (Yonko/Admiral level) and Marco (YC lvl), Kaido (Yonko level) and Luffy (YC level), Rayleigh (Yonko/Admiral level) and Luffy (YC level), Fujitora (Admiral level) and Sabo (YC level)

PS: This is mostly my opinion
Ehhh, i hope the term "one-shot" you used wasn't like saying he one hit KOed Marco or something. That was literally one shot, if that's what you meant i agree lol but i don't even think Marco was even bruised by that punch, he only deviated his trajectory as a result. Even if bruised, that was nowhere, nowhere! Near the level of injury Garp sustained at the hands of Gear 2 Luffy... I just saw the panel, Garp has his whole face in blood, from a punch from Luffy in Gear 2. Anyway...

I agree about your view on how to rank people. Aokiji and Akainu are in the same tier in my book as well, despite Akainu winning against Aokiji. I agree with that point, though in the end i see Garp in a lower tier than you. Rayleigh as well.
Actually, i think that at this point of the story, Luffy is close to reaching current Garp's level. I don't know how preposterous of me it is to state that, but i kinda see it that way to be honest.

By the way, from how you describe it, am i wrong to say that you see Garp and Akainu at around the same level?
Like, Aokiji slightly below Akainu who is slightly below Garp who is slightly below a Yonko? So that Aokiji and Akainu are the same tier, Garp is Yonko tier, but Akainu could still win against Garp?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That Shanks guy eh?

If you put it that way then:

Shanks > WB
Since BB was willing to fight WB but not Shanks (he's a Haki beast so I get why he'd run back then)
Mmh, i mean, no way in hell would Blackbeard have attacked Whitebeard if Whitebeard wasn't already in the verge of dying. He was extremely weakened at this point. Whereas Shanks was fresh, so of course Blackbeard wasn't ready to fight such a high level opponent.
The thing is, Sengoku was fresh as well, and Garp was fresh if you assume Luffy's Gear 2nd punch didn't cause damage.
 

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
655
Reaction score
580
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
But now BB is Yonko level as is Shanks so... could go either way.

Which further proves my point:
BB (Yonko level) vs Marco (YC level). It's obvious how it would've ended, isn't it?
 

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
But now BB is Yonko level as is Shanks so... could go either way.

Which further proves my point:
BB (Yonko level) vs Marco (YC level). It's obvious how it would've ended, isn't it?
What?
I see Blackbeard beating Marco any day, of course. I think Blackbeard was the main guy in the Payback war, and was obviously (i mean imo) the one taking down Marco during that war. Yes, BB > Marco.
 

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
655
Reaction score
580
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
What?
I see Blackbeard beating Marco any day, of course. I think Blackbeard was the main guy in the Payback war, and was obviously (i mean imo) the one taking down Marco during that war. Yes, BB > Marco.
Exactly!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

By the way, from how you describe it, am i wrong to say that you see Garp and Akainu at around the same level?
Like, Aokiji slightly below Akainu who is slightly below Garp who is slightly below a Yonko? So that Aokiji and Akainu are the same tier, Garp is Yonko tier, but Akainu could still win against Garp?
In my description of Garp's power level, you'll see I keep inserting a slash like this: Admiral/Yonko level.
It's bcos I'm also sceptical about Garp being Yonko level and that's me giving him the benefit of the doubt. To me he's in either of those 2 level but I'm going to wait for confirmation from the Manga before truly deciding.

So my answer to your question:
Is Garp Yonko tier so he's above Akainu?
My Response: I doubt. It's a 50:50 this one.

Is Garp and Akainu on same level (Admiral level)?
My Response: This is way more likely since I'm kinda confident Garp is at least Admiral level.
 

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
655
Reaction score
580
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
@AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA Where do you place Sengoku?
Current Sengoku has fallen slightly behind the Admirals IMO with old age again the major factor plus he's the oldest of the old generation.
I see him as slightly below Admiral level, yet superior to YC level.
He is still plenty powerful.
 

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
Current Sengoku has fallen slightly behind the Admirals IMO with old age again the major factor plus he's the oldest of the old generation.
I see him as slightly below Admiral level, yet superior to YC level.
He is still plenty powerful.
Hey, that's exactly what i think of Garp!
I don't know what to make of his DF. Buddha Df. That's just so weird i don't know how powerful it is.
 

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
655
Reaction score
580
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Hey, that's exactly what i think of Garp!
I don't know what to make of his DF. Buddha Df. That's just so weird i don't know how powerful it is.
Powerful enough to trouble Pre TS Blackbeard and his crewmates.
I can see why you feel Sengoku and Garp belong in the same category.
But recently we've seen from Garp looking excited for some action and not giving in to old age. Meanwhile from what I could deduct from Sengoku's demeanour, he seemed like he's done with combat and pirate pursuit.
Well... Can't blame him, life as Fleet Admiral mostly has you on a desk in an office.
Now I understand better Garp's explanation to Aokiji why he repeatedly turned down the Admiral offer (look how young that's made him).
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Fair enough. I'd be willing to accept Garp being Admiral level as i said. But i question, personally, anyone saying Garp is Yonko level.
Heck, Blackbeard was willing to fight with Sengoku and Garp, and shat his pants with Shanks. Garp is no Yonko level.
Plus i don't get what you're saying. You're saying Garp would lose to Akainu but at the same time Garp is on or extremely close to Whitebeard level? Isn't that contradictory?
Yeah but Blackbeard just had to deal with Sengoku and Garp wheres Shanks would be a third opponent. I think that was a visual proof of why Yonkou don't war each other or the Marines - even if Blackbeard beat the Marines he'd still have to deal with SHanks, or he'd have to deal with the Marines and Shanks. I mean, even Whitebeard asked Buggy for help because he couldn't deal with having Buggy's escaped prisoners as enemies along with the Marines.

Not really because again, devil fruit and everything. Garp could deal with Whitebeard's strength and devil fruit but not with magma, and Akainu's on a pretty high level himself, if not at a level to at least tie with an Emperor.
 

Takuan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
7,564
Age
33
Country
France
Yeah but Blackbeard just had to deal with Sengoku and Garp wheres Shanks would be a third opponent. I think that was a visual proof of why Yonkou don't war each other or the Marines - even if Blackbeard beat the Marines he'd still have to deal with SHanks, or he'd have to deal with the Marines and Shanks. I mean, even Whitebeard asked Buggy for help because he couldn't deal with having Buggy's escaped prisoners as enemies along with the Marines.
I didn't think of that. But it wouldn't have been Blackbeard vs everyone anyway, it would have been a three-way, Marines vs Shanks vs Blackbeard; not like everyone jumps on Blackbeard.
Plus, Shanks specifically said "if you want to continue fighting, i'll be your opponent", implying he was willing to take them all; rather than a Blackbeard vs everyone, the situation seems to me more like a Shanks vs everyone situation. And Blackbeard answered "nah, we're not ready to face you just yet"; he was not talking about the Marines at all, only Shanks. I don't think that sentence implied "we're not ready to have such a fight against both Marines and your crew" bu specifically that BB's crew was not Yonko level's crew yet. At least that's how i view it.


Not really because again, devil fruit and everything. Garp could deal with Whitebeard's strength and devil fruit but not with magma, and Akainu's on a pretty high level himself, if not at a level to at least tie with an Emperor.
I don't understand that logic. Garp isn't weaker to magma compared to other characters, nor does he have a resistance to WB's DF... So you're basically saying that any character would have more trouble fighting Akainu than Whitebeard. Which seems weird.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
One panel says that the marine admirals were marines greatest power as a whole. So at least garp should not be stronger than all of the current admirals in marineford arc grouped together.


In regarding other things:

I dont think garp intended to hurt marco just to knock him back. Garp does not seem someone to hurt his opponent more than he have to. Rogers was probably the same.

Garp was grouped with rogers and sengoku with shiki in the manga.

I think akainu as a fleet admiral could be said to be a relevant of a yonko.

And i think blackbeard is quite cunning and thats one reason he is so dangerous. Backed away from both shanks and akainu when there were not real advantages confronting them and only acts when he thinks there are profits that outweight the risks and so. Pretty calculating type same as akainu as most of the powerful characters seem to act on a whim.

If i remember right in both instances he stated thats its not the time yet. So he probably has some plan regarding them ?
Um, at least one panel also says Garp passed over promotion to admiralty many times. By that logic, he should at least be as strong.
I didn't think of that. But it wouldn't have been Blackbeard vs everyone anyway, it would have been a three-way, Marines vs Shanks vs Blackbeard; not like everyone jumps on Blackbeard.
Plus, Shanks specifically said "if you want to continue fighting, i'll be your opponent", implying he was willing to take them all; rather than a Blackbeard vs everyone, the situation seems to me more like a Shanks vs everyone situation. And Blackbeard answered "nah, we're not ready to face you just yet"; he was not talking about the Marines at all, only Shanks. I don't think that sentence implied "we're not ready to have such a fight against both Marines and your crew" bu specifically that BB's crew was not Yonko level's crew yet. At least that's how i view it.



I don't understand that logic. Garp isn't weaker to magma compared to other characters, nor does he have a resistance to WB's DF... So you're basically saying that any character would have more trouble fighting Akainu than Whitebeard. Which seems weird.
I highly doubt that, Sengoku would have likely ordered Blackbeard to be apprehended rather than get in Shanks' way, especially with how quickly the Marines calmed down when SHanks challenged them if they still wanted to continue fighting. Plus, it'd have been the Marines vs. Shanks and remnants of the Whitebeard crew vs. Blackbeard, if it was a three-way. I don't see why the Whitebeard pirates wouldn't have joined and helped Shanks, and if I recall correctly, it was at the Marines after Shanks blocked Akainu's falcon punch to Coby.

Well, Kaidou and Big Mom seem to be more likely to handle magma, like Aokiji, given their defenses. Big Mom doesn't bleed unless traumatized, and has Kaidou bled at all so far? But we've seen Garp bleed from Luffy and Dadan's attacks. Whitebeard is also tangible whereas AKainu is a logia, so it'd be harder to hurt him. It's not weird at all. This isn't Dragon Ball Z where everything is linear.
 

AINSOOALGOWN_SAMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
655
Reaction score
580
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
But we've seen Garp bleed from Luffy and Dadan's attacks. Whitebeard is also tangible whereas AKainu is a logia, so it'd be harder to hurt him. It's not weird at all.
Well we've also seen WB bleed likewise Akainu. How is it harder to hurt him when there's Haki?
He probably figured that himself when facing the Haki monster that blocked is attack.

As far as we know, tangibility isn't a thing anymore in the New World where nearly every pirate is versed in Haki unless you have future sight coupled with it (good luck with that).

It's not harder to hurt Akainu just bcos he's Logia. It'd just be about who is strong enough to hurt him. The Yonko and Admirals are more than capable of that.
 
Top