Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I just learned that Sket Dance & Astra lost in space are made by the same person. Wow, I'm super late lmao
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Only good things that came out of Bozebeats are Monks with Guns and the dragon from chapter 1.
I think the good thing that came with Bozebeats was the author. He did a great job drawing the Kimetsu side story that launched this year.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Only good things that came out of Bozebeats are Monks with Guns and the dragon from chapter 1.
Cool shit alone won't sell a series. You have to draw cool shit WELL.
If you can't follow along with the cool looking shit then what's the point? Part of that does include writing skill, but if you can't draw exciting panelwork that is easy to follow then youre going to have a hard time finding success as a mangaka in this demographic.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Speaking of authors returning, I was randomly looking through Toriko volumes and saw:
Dude what volume is this from, I remember people were saying this when the Build King one shot came out.

It looks like Shimabu loves taking the most mundane things and turning them into battle shonens. I fucking love it. Shimabu has to return but I feel like it will be a short run (at least compared to Toriko), maybe around 20 or so volumes long.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Cool shit alone won't sell a series. You have to draw cool shit WELL.
If you can't follow along with the cool looking shit then what's the point? Part of that does include writing skill, but if you can't draw exciting panelwork that is easy to follow then youre going to have a hard time finding success as a mangaka in this demographic.
I mean, the drawings looked pretty...up until they just became crappy digital smears...

Look, I just brought up Bozebeats because it was the purest example of style of substance I could think of, okay?

Dude what volume is this from, I remember people were saying this when the Build King one shot came out.

It looks like Shimabu loves taking the most mundane things and turning them into battle shonens. I fucking love it. Shimabu has to return but I feel like it will be a short run (at least compared to Toriko), maybe around 20 or so volumes long.
Would Shimabukuro be able to adapt to the fast-paced modern environment, I wonder? I do think he has the creativity, at any rate.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I mean, the drawings looked pretty...up until they just became crappy digital smears...

Look, I just brought up Bozebeats because it was the purest example of style of substance I could think of, okay?



Would Shimabukuro be able to adapt to the fast-paced modern environment, I wonder?
Fast paced?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I would personally prefer veteran author to return in something like Jump+ for more flexibility and creative freedom, even though that means significantly less popularity
I'm actually in favor of that tbh. I think Jump+ would work well for Shimabu or veterans coming from long serialized series.

But then again, I'm sure they'd want veterans on the main magazine for monetary reasons ofc.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I'd say the modern environment is less fast paced now that digital art is the norm.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I'd say the modern environment is less fast paced now that digital art is the norm.
I say that writing-wise, not art. Samurai 8 kinda tells me that Kishi struggles to break out of the habitual writing style that was prevalent when Naruto was running, so I'm left wondering if Shimabukuro would be the same or different.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
When Shimabu finally does decide to return, I wonder if he'll do what Kishi is doing and just have someone else do the art.

While I love the man's work, I do admit that his art is kinda... uneven in certain respects. Not sure who I'd pair him with, though.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I say that writing-wise, not art. Samurai 8 kinda tells me that Kishi struggles to break out of the habitual writing style that was prevalent when Naruto was running, so I'm left wondering if Shimabukuro would be the same or different.
Toriko is fast paced...so many arcs where like 8-15 chapters long. There were arcs like Ice Hell that was close to 40 chapters long but weren't the norm in the Human World Saga. Gourmet World was around ~20 chapters in each arc before the pacing went to shit.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I say that writing-wise, not art. Samurai 8 kinda tells me that Kishi struggles to break out of the habitual writing style that was prevalent when Naruto was running, so I'm left wondering if Shimabukuro would be the same or different.
I don't find that accurate either though.
Series like Kimetsu no Yaiba, Act-Age, The Promised Neverland, Yuuna, and World Trigger and of course the biggest hit of the decade AssClass all had chill pacing initially.

Meanwhile series like Black Cat, D. Gray Man, and Prince of Tennis were all manga from this so-called chill pacing era that were all very fast paced. If we look outside of Jump we had fucking Fullmetal Alchemist running at this time.

We go back even farther Saint Seiya had lightning fast pacing.

You need to stop cherry picking and ignoring data that contradicts your theories.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Toriko and Black Clover had/have insanely fast pacing. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy both as much as I did/do.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Yeah, acting like Shima's pacing is "too slow" makes me think this dudes never even read Toriko, or anything from Jump pre like 2014 for that matter.

He also doesn't seem to get that a lot of us have been here for years, some of us like me close to or over a decade.
Why does he think he can jump into the actual meta discussion of the magazine and act like an expert and think we won't see through it.
It's a little insulting tbh.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Toriko and Black Clover had/have insanely fast pacing. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy both as much as I did/do.
Yeah, acting like Shima's pacing is "too slow" makes me think this dudes never read Toriko, or anything from Jump pre 2018 for that matter.
Yeah...I haven't read Toriko, sorry. It's on my to read list.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
That's what they all say, a nice way of saying I dont want to read it :emocat
Nah I read Toriko, Steel Ball Run (even though i started in 2017, halfway through and got bored), Slam Dunk, Black Cat all of last year. Didn't even read One Piece till half way through Dressrosa arc.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Ugh...I'm baffled as to why you describe series like Act-Age and Promised Neverland as having a "casual" start.

Also, I think we have different views on "speed" because, having checked Toriko, most of the early arcs are episodic escapades of Toriko and Komatsu's adventures hunting. While they're of high-quality and Shimabukuro's world building is genuinely fantastic, there's still not much a hard plotline.
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,472
Reaction score
39,396
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The last page of chapter 7 of Samurai 8 was hype, new "villain" is looking good, classic Kishi design *-*
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Okay, so the latest Samurai 8 chapter was easily my favorite so far. I'm liking Princess Ann, and the enemy seems extremely menacing. This chapter should stave some of the previous criticism, hopefully.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top