Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonEpitaph

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2018
Messages
84
Reaction score
91
Age
35
Country
Israel
Yo MangAniMY, any updated charts after this week's sales data?
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I have the feeling the end of an era is coming already. An era that started with Hero Academia (manga and anime) and that is going to end with Dr.Stone anime.

Personally, I don't include Jujutsu Kaisen and Act-age in that era. I think both of them are part of the new era that is starting to get motion already (both of them + Chainsawman + Samurai 8). Is a feeling I have.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I have the feeling the end of an era is coming already. An era that started with Hero Academia (manga and anime) and that is going to end with Dr.Stone anime.

Personally, I don't include Jujutsu Kaisen and Act-age in that era. I think both of them are part of the new era that is starting to get motion already (both of them + Chainsawman + Samurai 8). Is a feeling I have.
It’s really hard to predict eras as they’re happening but I actually kinda feel this. Certainly a different sort of Jump coming up. A more globally influenced one, maybe. Like JJK and Act Age are pretty Japanese, but Chainsaw Man and Samurai 8 look like they have influences from all over
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Can I ask you guys something, as a serious question - not to provoke anything. Why so you like Weekly Shounen Jump so much? Is it because of the popularity of the bigger series in it? Or do you see a real quality advantage compared to other similar magazines? This thread is getting a lot more attention than Sunday etc and I truly wonder if it's grounded in some kind of historical habitual popularity from DB, OP etc or if you really think "This magazine deserves my attention more than the others" or is it maybe just a question of comfortable availabity?
I have no preference. My favorite ongoing series (and all time) is Kingdom which is from Young Jump. WSJ is more well known because of the hits after hits it has released not just in Japan but worldwide. More hits from a single source means more recognition so it instantly becomes something people go to check out first. That's all there is to it.
More and more people are becoming aware of WYJ because of Tokyo Ghoul, Terra Formers, Golden Kamui, Kingdom. Some of these haven't picked up steam outside Japan yet but you can certainly tell that more people are definitely getting into it. In fact, and I'm sure MANY would agree with me, I would recommend checking out other magazines and manga outside WSJ.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

You're the only reason I keep coming back to this thread. Not lying.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
My attachment to Jump is mostly through nostalgia. I remember being 8 years old and seeing the first US paperback monthly version of Viz's shonen Jump at the grocery store and begged my mom to buy it. As a kid absolutely obsessed with Dragon Ball and Yu Yu Hakusho on Toonami finding this magazine was a dream come true. I poured hours in that book every single day loving all these new worlds and characters I was introduced to, until one day I was at the store again and there was another issue.
I literally collected those damn things every single month up until around 8th grade when I started reading scans.
So for me, I look at Jump as a mag the same way people look at certain long runners. I've been reading this for my practically my whole life and I want to see what happens to it.
Plus these series really tickle my nostalgia. I'm under no impression these things are anything more than action, sports, and comedy comics for kids but it doesn't matter to me because when I read Jump I'm just looking to recapture that feeling I had again from when I was 8 years old reading Jump for the first time.
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I’ve been reading manga before i know what WSJ is. Back in the day i read it by volumes.

Dragonball and Naruto are GOATs. You have to imagine a group of 4-5th grader that discuss every Naruto episode everyday during recess. Not to mention Captain Tsubasa and Yuyu Hakusho. Fat nolstagia factor.

But back in the day i read more series from Sunday than Jump.

In fact, i didn’t care about which series in which magazine until 2016 (right after i read Bakuman lol)
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Dude what volume is this from, I remember people were saying this when the Build King one shot came out.

It looks like Shimabu loves taking the most mundane things and turning them into battle shonens. I fucking love it. Shimabu has to return but I feel like it will be a short run (at least compared to Toriko), maybe around 20 or so volumes long.
Vol. 39
 

westabyss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
195
Reaction score
523
Country
Germany
I am not saying that S8 shouldn't be criticized but people forget that a Manga like Dragonball which was Toriyama's second series too, wasn't that well received either at the beginning, especially compared to Dr. Slump and i can understand that as the beginning of Slump is far better than DB but Toriyama and Torishisma tried hard to get DB to what it is now and hopefully this will happen with S8 too. Not saying, that S8 is going to be the next DB but even though im dropping it for now, i believe that Kishimoto can turn around things easily and i wouldn't be surprised if people on Twitter and everywhere else would be going crazy for it in a few months. They should just take the feedback to heart.

I don't know about HxH's reception but i can imagine that it wasn't that good either in the beginning. The first chapters (probably by intent) are really bland and most readers couldn't have known what HxH was going for by the first few chapters.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
WSJ for me has a nostalgic aspect as most of the first manga I've read is from that magazine.
Regarding the access to the mangas, it was really easier (and still is thanks to mangaplus) to read the manga from this magazine for a person who can not read japanese. Moroever, even with scans, it was a lot easier to find them for the WSJ mangas than for the others.
I think that's what made me really attached to WSJ, mainly by default I would say as for a long time I could mostly read his mangas.

Putting that aspect aside, generally the mangas in WSJ are really good imo, so I naturally pay attention to what is coming new in the magazine, a thing that I do not necesseraly do for other mags (and again, scan are difficult to find for some series as Blue Lock for example). However, I think that the WSJ is in a weird time right now, lots of new series but none of them seems to really be a big thing even if most of them are great. I think that we are in a transition period right now.

To conclude, WSJ is still on the top for me as it is the mag that I know the best, series are top quality and it is easy to have access to the chapters every week (which I think is a really important factor).

Sorry for the long post !
Are you crazy or you dont really know what's going on with jump? It's in an way better place than in the 2010 were only a couple were an hit Outside of Japan. Now almost everyone know which manga are in jump, DO YOU KNOW.. how much TPN sells?, I can say it sells more than mha and it's an massive hit
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I have the feeling the end of an era is coming already. An era that started with Hero Academia (manga and anime) and that is going to end with Dr.Stone anime.

Personally, I don't include Jujutsu Kaisen and Act-age in that era. I think both of them are part of the new era that is starting to get motion already (both of them + Chainsawman + Samurai 8). Is a feeling I have.
I agree. TPN, dr.stone, demon slayer come on the same era point so having drstone end too will be the next gate of an new era
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Please stop sharing random tweets from random youtubers and twitter accounts here. If they have legit new information, then its fine. Otherwise, it's just an eyesore.
It opens an new discussion, we have all the right to do that
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
It opens an new discussion, we have all the right to do that
It opens ZERO new discussions about WSJ and information related to the magazine which is what this thread is about. Not about what some random twitter "personality" thinks of something. There's a difference.
This thread exists for information. You're talking about gossiping.
 

SalesNerd69

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
196
Reaction score
211
Age
28
Country
India
This question was asked earlier by someone else but got buried:

What % of total volume sales of manga come from japan? Anyone know?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I am not saying that S8 shouldn't be criticized but people forget that a Manga like Dragonball which was Toriyama's second series too, wasn't that well received either at the beginning, especially compared to Dr. Slump and i can understand that as the beginning of Slump is far better than DB but Toriyama and Torishisma tried hard to get DB to what it is now and hopefully this will happen with S8 too. Not saying, that S8 is going to be the next DB but even though im dropping it for now, i believe that Kishimoto can turn around things easily and i wouldn't be surprised if people on Twitter and everywhere else would be going crazy for it in a few months. They should just take the feedback to heart.

I don't know about HxH's reception but i can imagine that it wasn't that good either in the beginning. The first chapters (probably by intent) are really bland and most readers couldn't have known what HxH was going for by the first few chapters.
HxH got an anime in less than a year. It was popular.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Is it wrong to say that my favorite Chainsawman chapters happen to be those where other characters and not Denji are the main focus?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top