Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
on another note, what is even going on with Yui Kamio? I get that it's desperately trying to latch onto some kind of fanbase but it's doing it in such a messy way, it's almost Hungry Marie levels of "does this manga even have an editor?" weird decisions and plot structuring.
was what I said before, I think he was not very satisfied with the result of Kamio yui and resolved to return to the tone of Nuraryhion and illegal rare.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
:3c

I was thinking in this other theme. What would be your favorite Shonen Jump arcs ever?

For me, top 5 arcs:
-1. 12 Houses Arc from Saint Seiya
-2. Battle City from Yu-Gi-Oh!
-3. Kamino Arc from My Hero Academia
-4. Varia Arc from Katekyo Hitman Reborn
-5. Tie between Raoh Arc from Hokuto no Ken and Ennies Lobby Arc from One Piece

I can perfectly be forgetting any other arc that I liked more but whatever
In no particular order
-Sasuke Retrieval arc (Naruto p. I)
-Hidan & Kakuzu arc (Naruto p. II)
-Yorknew City arc (HxH)
-Yagyu arc (Gintama)
-Shogun Assasination arc (Gintama)
-Farewell Shinsengumi arc (Gintama)
-Ennies Lobby/Water 7 arc (One Piece)
-Battle City arc (Yu Gi Oh)
-Odachi vs Hakuro Tottori - Interhigh (Hinomaru Zumou)

There are others in the back of my mind, tho these are the ones that popped out at the top of my head
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Ngl that's a weird choice considering the other arcs

In the end that's your opinion but it's really different 🤔
I really like CCGs and I find it to be an extremely comfy, brilliant, and wildly creative breather between the Yorknew and Ant arcs.
I would've included Duelist Kingdom, but on a recent reread it felt a little bit too tedious at times. Still really love that arc too tho.

Also Chairman Election is great. I loved seeing a political election as part of the HxH world and it's something you usually never see in a Jump manga. The chase side of the arc with Killua + Alluka was fantastic as well.

I often like more eccentric arcs or comfier changes of paces.
 
Last edited:

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Favorite arcs? Mhm... One per series:

1 - Chimera Ants (Hunter x Hunter)
2 - Happy (Re)Birthday (Sket Dance)
3 - Water Seven/Enies Lobby (One Piece)
4 - Shohoku x Sannoh (Slam Dunk)
5 - Devil Bats x Nagas (Eyeshield 21)

Not sure if matches in sports manga counts, but I don't see why not, so..
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Speaking of which. I'd kill for a new card battling manga in Jump. Maybe subvert it by using runes instead of cards or something but let it be the same thing in theory. Bonus points for being set in a fantasy world.

Cool marketing potential as well. Selling kids and mankids all these little flat (plastic) stones (maybe something like a thinner poker chip?) with monsters engraved on them for battles. It's a gimmick I could see being pretty popular.
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I'm surprised to be the only one who has mentioned the 12 Houses Arc from Saint Seiya tbh
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
on another note, what is even going on with Yui Kamio? I get that it's desperately trying to latch onto some kind of fanbase but it's doing it in such a messy way, it's almost Hungry Marie levels of "does this manga even have an editor?" weird decisions and plot structuring.
I know it's kinda weird, but I'm loving the direction the series has taken. After initially being excited for the series and being massively let down that it was a whole lot of nothing, these last 3-4 chapters have brought back my interest and it's possibly the most I have enjoyed something that is looking to be cancel fodder for a long time. I'd much rather it do this and be messy than stick to what it was doing and die being bland.

Can't really explain it but Hungry Marie did the same thing around chapter 20 where it completely changed its focus for the better and Tamura actually started writing to his strengths, although it was already too late. Yui seems to be doing the same thing.

It's probably too late, but with the recent developments I really would like to see it expanded on. Shiibashi does this horror/fantasy kinda stuff quite well, although it definitely feels too close to Nura for comfort. Guess it'll all depend on the sales at the end of the day.
 

TheEroSennin

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
34
Reaction score
49
Age
24
Country
Saudi Arabia
My favourite arcs in jump (not in order)

Chimera ant arc (Hunter x Hunter)
Pain arc (Naruto)
Karasuno vs Aoba Jousai (Haikyuu)
Ashirogi Muto trying to get their first serialization (Bakuman)
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Or to add on to that. A monster betting/battling manga/card game I've come up with just now and wrote out in the course of like 10 minutes so forgive me if there's any clear balance issues or otherwise.

A world where where monster battling is a huge gambling sensation and monster battler collect monsters held on engraved poker chips and do battle and the winners can achieve great riches. Of course a tournament is announced our young hero must partake in order to pay off debts or just get rich etc.

You'll have two sets of chips. Monster chips which you can only have maybe six of in your deck, and spell chips of which you can have say 20 which have spells that can affect your own monster, enemy monsters, or the battlefield on either side depending on whether its a support spell or attack spell.

Each battler flips a random monster onto the battlefield and draws three tokens from their pouch into their hand.
Then they do battle depending on the stats of their monster chip on the battlefield, and whatever spells they can use to support their monster/bring the other down. You draw a new spell chip each turn.
Once a monster is downed you randomly select a face down chip to flip onto the battlefield as the battle continues until one sides monsters are entirely wiped out.

I guess there'd need to be some kind of betting aspect within the gameplay. Perhaps you can bet other monster chips prior to sending out a monster that you'll be able to fell your opponents next monster and if you do you keep your chips and gain a stat boost for the next round depending on how many chips you bet. If your monster is killed you simply lose those monster chips for the rest of the battle.
I think there could be something better for that element, but that's what initially came to mind.

Anyways, this sounds fun and I now want to play it.
The fact that the monsters you send out are random encourages strategic deck building in both your monsters and spell chips.

It's fast paced, both random and strategic, and would be fun to read/watch and play in real life.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---




I did. I guess I should have been more specific than simply Sanctuary because 12 houses is what I intended.
For some reason I'm not finding your post. Searching it but I'm blind.

I should ask the Battle for the Throne arc from Kinnikuman in my lIt of favorite arcs. That was kino
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
What is your Top 5 list of early axed Shonen Jump manga?

In no order for me..
1. Hitomi no Catoplebas
2. Juuki Ningen Jumbor
3. Double Arts
4. Shuudan
5. Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun
Honorable mentions to Ziga, Kiben Gakuha, Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san and Best Blue
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
What is your Top 5 list of early axed Shonen Jump manga?
1. Hell warden Higuma
2. ST&RS
3. Hungry Joker
4. Momonofu
5. Bokke san

Honorable mentions to illegal rare, ziga, shuudan.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Honorable mentions to illegal rare, ziga, shuudan.
forgot to mention alice to taiyou and bozebeast
 

Inumaru

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
410
Reaction score
285
Gender
Hidden
Country
Brazil
1 - OumaZoo
2 - Cross Manage
3 - Shudan!
4 - Koi no Cupid
5 - Ole Golazo
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I know it's kinda weird, but I'm loving the direction the series has taken. After initially being excited for the series and being massively let down that it was a whole lot of nothing, these last 3-4 chapters have brought back my interest and it's possibly the most I have enjoyed something that is looking to be cancel fodder for a long time. I'd much rather it do this and be messy than stick to what it was doing and die being bland.

Can't really explain it but Hungry Marie did the same thing around chapter 20 where it completely changed its focus for the better and Tamura actually started writing to his strengths, although it was already too late. Yui seems to be doing the same thing.

It's probably too late, but with the recent developments I really would like to see it expanded on. Shiibashi does this horror/fantasy kinda stuff quite well, although it definitely feels too close to Nura for comfort. Guess it'll all depend on the sales at the end of the day.
For me, I'd say it's the opposite. These past 2 chapters of Yui Kamio both seemed to come out of nowhere, primarily because the plot during a chapter frequently seems to lunge randomly into a new development without a coherent transition of some sort. However, the 2 chapters prior to these last 2 were brilliant. That was when I thought Yui Kamio had finally found its footing.

I'd like the series to have stuck to the shenanigans of Yui, Kiito and Nao. I thought this chapter would be the Yui/Nao backstory chapter, so I was disappointed when it was all just a quick flashback. Kiito has to fight off the delinquents and suitors gunning for Yui, Yui inadvertently and occasionally intentionally fights off the rich chads who want Kiito, Nao trolls throughout; that's my ideal.
What is your Top 5 list of early axed Shonen Jump manga?

In no order for me..
1. Hitomi no Catoplebas
2. Juuki Ningen Jumbor
3. Double Arts
4. Shuudan
5. Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun
Honorable mentions to Ziga, Kiben Gakuha, Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san and Best Blue
For this, I'm only going to include series that lasted for less than a year (explaining the absence of Samon).

1. Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun
2. Alice to Taiyou
3. iShoujo
4. Cross Account
5. Kimi wo Shinryakuseyo!

Honorable mentions would have to be Shudan, Higuma, and Love Rush (oof to that ending). Since I haven't been following WSJ for too long, what are some other good axed titles that I could power through pretty quickly?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
What is your Top 5 list of early axed Shonen Jump manga?

In no order for me..
1. Hitomi no Catoplebas
2. Juuki Ningen Jumbor
3. Double Arts
4. Shuudan
5. Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun
Honorable mentions to Ziga, Kiben Gakuha, Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san and Best Blue
Oh shit this is entirely my category!!! Like I collect cancelled Jump titles and used to pod about them obsessively haha.
Amazing choices by the way.

NUMBER ONE WITH A BULLET(heh): Shinmai Fukei Killco-san(or Kiruko-san. The volumes say Killco but we’re all used to Kiruko by now). My absolute favourite cancelled Jump title, bar none
2. Hoop Men
3. Magico
4. ST&RS
5. Gocchan-desu!!

Honorable mentions to Junjō Pine, Hitomi no Catoblepas, Ace!, Butsu Zone, Ultra Red, Shonen Tantei Q, Survibee, Sakuratetsu Taiwahen, WaqWaq, Shonen Espa Nejime, Yuuto, Belmondo le Visiteur, Asklepios, Dois Sol, Double Arts, Koisome Momiji, Cross Manage, Bokke-san, uhhhhhh jesus i could go on forever. I’m excluding a lot of series that ran juuuust long enough, even!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

SHIT UH LOVE RUSH TOO. JOINT FIFTH OR SOMETHING
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
What is your Top 5 list of early axed Shonen Jump manga?

In no order for me..
1. Hitomi no Catoplebas
2. Juuki Ningen Jumbor
3. Double Arts
4. Shuudan
5. Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun
Honorable mentions to Ziga, Kiben Gakuha, Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san and Best Blue
1° David-kun
2° Shuudan!
3° Double Arts
4° Alice and Taiyo
5° Cross Account.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
1 - Double Arts
2 - Kiben Gakuha
3 - Ane Doki
4 - Shudan
5 - Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa

I really do miss these series, damn.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
already has samurai 8 cosplay?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top