Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 421 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Was Harisugawa cancelled though? Didn't it mostly rank passably? I remember there being speculation or rumours or something (maybe something legit?) that the writer ended it themself because the setting was too restricting. Which is somewhat of a recurring thing for Kanou Yasuhiro.

animeexpert

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Favourite arcs is hard, maybe something like

1. Minus arc (Medaka Box)
2. Red Light District (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
3. Another Bites the Dust/Crazy Diamond (Jojo part 4)
4. Chuunin exams (Naruto)
5. Tenchou Gourin tournament (Otokojuku)

on another note, what is even going on with Yui Kamio? I get that it's desperately trying to latch onto some kind of fanbase but it's doing it in such a messy way, it's almost Hungry Marie levels of "does this manga even have an editor?" weird decisions and plot structuring.
Broo minus arc was the SHIT!!!. The writing will always defeat even the current era of jump series
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Huh, ironically I felt that Yui Kamio was really Ranma-like before the recent shift but more in terms of it's story. Art-wise Saiyuki is more like that era (also because kid heroes), though I remember Takahashi having a softer style.

Top five, only one per series:

1. Large-Scale-Invasion from WorldTrigger (with a huge distance to the rest... for me this arc redefined how large-scope shonen battle arcs can work)
2. The 4th Drift, including the Neo Amakusa Stuff in Psyren
3. Kamino Hideout Raid in My Hero Academia
4. Chunin Exams in Naruto, especially the first half
5. That flashback Arc in the last part of Rurouni Kenshin

Honorable mentions and series duplicates:
Stagiare in FoodWars, Old Piccolo Saga in Dragonball, Sasuke Retrieval + Hidan and Kakuzu Arc in Naruto, Stain Arc and Endeavor/Hawks Arc in HeroAca, Rank Wars in WorldTrigger (maybe not a traditional "arc", but whatever).
I hate how world trigger is so underrated, shouldve took over from one of the best studio's. Most balanced power system of super power (even tho it's more technology), world trigger is just top tier and also one of the manga that survive easily in the new era's of jump and even revolutionary like medaka box

O_S_I

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Was Harisugawa cancelled though? Didn't it mostly rank passably? I remember there being speculation or rumours or something (maybe something legit?) that the writer ended it themself because the setting was too restricting. Which is somewhat of a recurring thing for Kanou Yasuhiro.
Btw, is it true that the TOC isn't a ranking? I've been seeing that being said a lot on social media lately

westabyss

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
1. The whole Water 7/Enies Lobby arc in One Piece. “I want to live” is still the best moment in comics.
2. The Sennin World War in Hoshin Engi
3. The Fullbring Arc in Bleach (don’t @ me)
4. The America Road Trip in Shaman King
5. The Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter

That took way too long to come up with, and I’m sure I’d change my mind on them every time I’m asked
Real for the Fullbring Arc. Its so underrated, especially when you read it in volumes, its so enjoyable

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Btw, is it true that the TOC isn't a ranking? I've been seeing that being said a lot on social media lately
Yeah it isn’t actually a ranking. You can glean a bit of an idea of if something is doing well by looking at it though. Kinda

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Oh. The 8th Yomiuriland National Junior Tournament from Captain Tsubasa. The final between Nankatsu and Meiwa was hot.

And the Final Arc from Ring ni Kakero. Still best final arc of any Jump manga for me.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kagami no Kuni had a fantastic start TOC wise, with first rank being on the 6th place and 2nd+3rd +4th rank on the 4th place. Then after 8 weeks or so, it crashed to Bottom 3 (the issue where Enigma had ended). Then it spiked to the middle for 2 issues, and dropped to the Bottom 2 with ST&RS as it's companion, and the issue after, it was a Bottom 1. In an effort to save the manga, Shueisha gave it a CP (mainly because of the solid Volume 1 sales thanks to Mx0 fans), and the manga was back at the middle (with a Bottom 3 occasion) for like 3 or 4 chapters before returning to Bottom 2 and Bottom 1 again. Also not surprisingly, the first Bottom 2 stuff onwards and it's whole demise happened shortly after Nisekoi had started.

Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I think kano literally said this, which is bad when it was similar (allegedly) to what went down with Pretty Face

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Restrictive premises that don't really move past the premise is kind of Kanou's thing at this point, with Pretty Face and Harisugawa he ran out of ideas and it's been a while since I read but I think Mx0 too felt like he was struggling a bit towards the end to keep finding things for MC to do.

He seemed to learn his lesson somewhat with Kiss x Death though, the premise was still pretty heavily reliant on one core gimmick but he did set up 5 arcs right from the beginning so that there was always a direction to head for.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
So many favorites arc i just put the one off the top of my head/recently
Water Seven Saga from One Piece
Sennin War from Houshin Engi
Yorkshin from Hunter x Hunter
Final Arc of Sket Dance
Autumn Selection from Food War

4Eyes

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What is your Top 5 list of early axed Shonen Jump manga?
I've read few cancelled series, since lots of them were not fully translated, but my top without order are:

Soul Catcher(s) - Still unfinished in English but where's ma boi Shinkai Hideo?
The Last Sayuuki - Let's face it guys
Kurogane - Not too fond but this was definitely promising.

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Favourite arcs is hard, maybe something like

1. Minus arc (Medaka Box)
2. Red Light District (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
3. Another Bites the Dust/Crazy Diamond (Jojo part 4)
4. Chuunin exams (Naruto)
5. Tenchou Gourin tournament (Otokojuku)

on another note, what is even going on with Yui Kamio? I get that it's desperately trying to latch onto some kind of fanbase but it's doing it in such a messy way, it's almost Hungry Marie levels of "does this manga even have an editor?" weird decisions and plot structuring.
Minus Arc was great, indeed. One of my favorite arcs of WSJ.

lgrmjauffre

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've read few cancelled series, since lots of them were not fully translated, but my top without order are:

Soul Catcher(s) - Still unfinished in English but where's ma boi Shinkai Hideo?
The Last Sayuuki - Let's face it guys
Kurogane - Not too fond but this was definitely promising.
I'm not giving up on The Last Saiyuki until I actually see the final chapter printed in the magazine. It doesn't feel like it's dead yet anyway, like its batch mate. And even then, there's every possibility to get a continuation on Jump+.

TxxT

Reaction score
Country
Japan
No particular order (1 per series)

Karasuno vs Inarizaki
Shohoku vs Sannoh
Sasuke Retrieval
Enies Lobby
Chimera Ant

Felcis

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
What is your Top 5 list of early axed Shonen Jump manga?
Define "axed"? Is it only for series that were forced to end in under a year? If not then Psyren would of course be in there, because it was forced to rush itself towards the end and obviously cut a lot of content.
Otherwise...

1. Cross Manage
2. Kagamigami
3. DoubleArts
4. Golem Hearts
5. Shudan

Of course Sayuki will take the #1 spot when if it happens. I wanna believe...
Honorable mention for Barrage, which was neat but I'm still very glad Hori moved on to make HeroAca.

I hate how world trigger is so underrated, shouldve took over from one of the best studio's. Most balanced power system of super power (even tho it's more technology), world trigger is just top tier and also one of the manga that survive easily in the new era's of jump and even revolutionary like medaka box
At this point it's pretty obvious that WT, despite never consistently being a top series in the ToC, had a very high "quality" of following. Meaning a loyal core of fans that are older than the average and very dedicated, which results in those very high volume sales and also a strong presence with fan-content on platforms like pixiv.
I was very happy that WSJ recognized its worth and supported Ashihara with getting the series back onto its feet and transitioned it to a place that fit his situation.

It really was a shame that the anime adaptation was wasted on Toei. It got better with time at least, but the damage done to the brand in the early episodes was irreversible.

Status
Not open for further replies.