Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
My dream is for Psyren to receive an anime and for the manga to blow up in sales. Iwashiro deserves it.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Magi boost wasn't that big.

Its impressive how the boost keep going and going for weeks.
Lool nah. It was big, in fact, it was massive. If Magi's boost isnt that big then Kimetsu's boost isnt that big. Magi volume sales ended up peaking at 700k


Trust me, take it from someone who witnessed Magi's boost. It was massive and largely because it wasnt selling that well at the start & it had a pretty decent volume count size when the anime was running which gave it a big backlog sales boost. Which is one of the same reason why KnY got a big boost. Simply, Kimetsu's massive boost is reminiscent to Magi's boost.

The only reason why you never seen something like this before is because this is most likely youre first time following the manga sales weekly for a series with a very successful anime. Its been done before.
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The only reason why you never seen something like this before is because this is most likely youre first time following the manga sales weekly for a series with a very successful anime. Its been done before.
Pretty much this, people making a big deal about Kimetsu weren't here for Haikyuu or KnB boosts. Doesn't take away from Kimetsu's success at all but we've seen this happen many times before.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have been following Oricon rankings since 2013. What i am trying to say is that even after 20 weeks, KnY backlog is so big that we have all the volumes in top 30 EVERY WEEK.

I know what is a good backlog boost, i remember SnK after the anime started, having older volumes selling 40k every week.

KnB boost was BIG, but it didn't have older volumes in the TOP 30.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I voted other. I think its no surprise that I will say Takeshi :cheez. I have already said many times why it could use an anime. Tbh the series listed have a much bigger chance of getting their animes than Takeshi. Speaking of Takeshi...

I guess if there's one Jump title that I want to see get an anime more than Takeshi it would be Kinnikuman, ideally in the form of a reboot. That 40th anniversary vid was such a tease even tho it was hardly animated loll
Quality work will get popular and sell equivalent to how great it is.
I dont think sales & quality correlate. How about you tell me if BEASTARS, HZ or Jigokuraku are selling equivalent to how great they are; they sure as hell arent. IMO all are S tier shonens with the former being arguably one of the best shonens of all time. Quality is subjective so it doesnt always correlate with sales
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
nah the formula for sale is

Sales = Quality + Demographic + a little bid of edge but not too much else this number will become a negative number

If you can hit all the right note for children, teenager, adult, old people, free money right there.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,405
Reaction score
818
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I would like St&rs or Hungry joker... or even robot x laserbeam
But if i have to choose... probably enigma
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I dont think sales & quality correlate. How about you tell me if BEASTARS, HZ or Jigokuraku are selling equivalent to how great they are; they sure as hell arent. IMO all are S tier shonens with the former being arguably one of the best shonens of all time. Quality is subjective so it doesnt always correlate with sales
>Sales and quality don't correlate

>Tell me if this, this and this manga are selling equivalent to how "great" they are

>Quality is subjective

I don't know if you realise how much you contradicted yourself in the same comment... kkkk
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I'll never get why we should restrain ourselves of discussing or praising Kimetsu's boost just because there are series that, some time ago, got greater boosts in their sales. I don't think that's a reason to not comment on the boost as something that's surpassing everyone's expectations on how the boost was going to be.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Speaking of KNY, for those of you who've been following the series since the very beginning, what got you so hooked into the series? For those who didn't follow the series when it started which arc got you to follow the series?

I personally started reading the series pretty late when it was around chapter 120 but I started following the series at around chapter 70-80 during the Red Light District arc, which was the arc that got me interested in the series. I saw a chapter back then in WSJ and though the series looked interesting and decided to look at a few more chapters after that before I actually started reading it.
Result, I now have 10 volumes of the series and plan to buy volumes 11-16 and get back to reading it with volume 17 since that's around where I stopped with scans.
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of KNY, for those of you who've been following the series since the very beginning, what got you so hooked into the series? For those who didn't follow the series when it started which arc got you to follow the series?

I personally started reading the series pretty late when it was around chapter 120 but I started following the series at around chapter 70-80 during the Red Light District arc, which was the arc that got me interested in the series. I saw a chapter back then in WSJ and though the series looked interesting and decided to look at a few more chapters after that before I actually started reading it.
Result, I now have 10 volumes of the series and plan to buy volumes 11-16 and get back to reading it with volume 17 since that's around where I stopped with scans.
I didn't follow from the beginning, but since the volumes have been released in English. Honestly, it was the first volume that got me to continue reading the series. It never once gave off any vibes I didn't like, and it really felt like it was a series I could get into. I love the art and the character design, as well.
 

westabyss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
195
Reaction score
523
Country
Germany
Speaking of KNY, for those of you who've been following the series since the very beginning, what got you so hooked into the series? For those who didn't follow the series when it started which arc got you to follow the series?

I personally started reading the series pretty late when it was around chapter 120 but I started following the series at around chapter 70-80 during the Red Light District arc, which was the arc that got me interested in the series. I saw a chapter back then in WSJ and though the series looked interesting and decided to look at a few more chapters after that before I actually started reading it.
Result, I now have 10 volumes of the series and plan to buy volumes 11-16 and get back to reading it with volume 17 since that's around where I stopped with scans.
I started reading it when there were like 15-20 chapters released of KnY. I really liked the dark and serious atmosphere at first which got me hooked. The first time that i really thought that this manga is not only good but has really potential to be amazing was with the arc with the floor shifting demon. The way the manga portrayed those shifting floors was so creative to me that i knew that this is going to be something special.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Speaking of KNY, for those of you who've been following the series since the very beginning, what got you so hooked into the series? For those who didn't follow the series when it started which arc got you to follow the series?

I personally started reading the series pretty late when it was around chapter 120 but I started following the series at around chapter 70-80 during the Red Light District arc, which was the arc that got me interested in the series. I saw a chapter back then in WSJ and though the series looked interesting and decided to look at a few more chapters after that before I actually started reading it.
Result, I now have 10 volumes of the series and plan to buy volumes 11-16 and get back to reading it with volume 17 since that's around where I stopped with scans.
Chapter 14

I followed the series right from chapter 1 in the Jump start run and thought the first 3 chapters were a bit week, then the next two mini-arcs were pretty fun, but I just absolutely loved the way it introduced Muzan, it's my #1 favourite manga villain intro (that I can think of).
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have been following Oricon rankings since 2013. What i am trying to say is that even after 20 weeks, KnY backlog is so big that we have all the volumes in top 30 EVERY WEEK.
Exaggeration much? This is the only week in which all volumes were in the top 30 and once again its because it has an ongoing anime to coincide with the reprints its impressive because we haven't seen the boost period took hold of the top 50 due to shows like MHA S1 and TPN being 1-cour, the last time this came about was Haikyuu S1 which was also 2-cour.

KnB boost was BIG, but it didn't have older volumes in the TOP 30.
Yeah it just had a much bigger per volume average than Kimetsu and the reason why all the volumes didn't make the top 30 was because of the much bigger threshold back then and not being stacked amongst big releases like KnB was that's why next month is going to be interesting with it being shacked up against One Piece and TPN alongside the anime's conclusion to see if it'll continue selling at the rate it has been.
I'll never get why we should restrain ourselves of discussing or praising Kimetsu's boost just because there are series that, some time ago, got greater boosts in their sales. I don't think that's a reason to not comment on the boost as something that's surpassing everyone's expectations on how the boost was going to be.
Because most people didn't actually start caring about the series until like a month ago so it comes off as disingenuous to the people who have been following its sales growth for three years now. A lot of people predicted that it would have a boost of this magnitude a year prior due to its already steady growth rate and the fact that the series already had a sizable following online (Its anime announcement trended on Japanese twitter) what wasn't expected was seeing how receptive Westerners were going to be towards it since its manga sales in the US were pretty bad initially but now has grown significantly since the anime started. Nobody is saying that Kimetsu's sales aren't great and its fine to praise it but don't try to pretend its anything significant especially in a year where Hepburn: Go-Tōbun went from being an unknown entity to one of the biggest properties Magazine has published since NnT and the biggest romance manga in years.
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Muzan's introduction is one of the first hooks for me and ofc the spider family arc. I remember loving the dark atmosphere of the manga. The artstyle was so unique and had a lot of charm (still has it lol).
I'll never get why we should restrain ourselves of discussing or praising Kimetsu's boost just because there are series that, some time ago, got greater boosts in their sales. I don't think that's a reason to not comment on the boost as something that's surpassing everyone's expectations on how the boost was going to be.
That doesnt mean you start spreading misinformation though. He said this is the first time he's seen a boost like this when there's been clearly other series that have done just as good if not better. Its pretty annoying if you ask me as its a lie & this is coming from a big time Kimetsu fan.

I also agree with the comment that people didnt start caring about the series until it started getting the massive boost so it also comes off as disingenuous for people who have been following the sales growth since it pretty much started.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top