Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia


the new title got leaked with the new volumes release list
Hmm...interesting...

What was the new thing called, for reference?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Teihen Yuchuba ga Uchuu Sensou o Totte Mita

Did anyone post here the thing with Kishimoto and his first editor with suggestions for Naruto? lol



does anyone know who is this editor? what's his name and what series he's working on currently?

almost everything I like about Naruto was edited in by this guy
almost everything I don't like about Samurai 8 could have been edited out by this guy
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Teihen Yuchuba ga Uchuu Sensou o Totte Mita



does anyone know who is this editor? what's his name and what series he's working on currently?

almost everything I like about Naruto was edited in by this guy
almost everything I don't like about Samurai 8 could have been edited out by this guy
It's Kohsuke Yahagi. Dunno what he's working on.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,215
Country
United Nations
Wait. Publisher receive less income/profit from digital manga? That is sound weird... If that is true then, i can see why publisher reluctant to change to digital format.

And, with lower cost, even if digital store take more than physical store plus mangaka might also got better percentage cut, 15% at least from what can i assume from MangaAniMY previous post, how can any publisher still get lower profit than physical sales. Unless cost for publishing manga actually very low?
No, he's saying that digital means less income, but also less costs, so the profit (income - costs = profit) is about the same.

The reason the income is lower is because digital stores take a higher percentage of the sales than physical stores do (according to Ruggia's comment).


I just read what ruggia said (and it was the origin of this talk with hisoga). His message mentioned digital stores in general take a much bigger cut than physical stores

Am I misunderstanding?

PS: I probably wasn't clear, but when I asked "Am I misunderstanding?" in the previous message. I also mean if I'm misunderstanding ruggia or not (English isn't my main language).
No, you understood and explained perfectly.
 
Last edited:

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Teihen Yuchuba ga Uchuu Sensou o Totte Mita



does anyone know who is this editor? what's his name and what series he's working on currently?

almost everything I like about Naruto was edited in by this guy
almost everything I don't like about Samurai 8 could have been edited out by this guy
That would be Yahagi, if I recall. The last I heard of him, he's Jump SQ's EiC.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
What are the reasons for S8 not being well received and getting much hate
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,215
Country
United Nations
He had a point, negative or not. XD

But for me it really depends on the content of the booklet, if it covers part of the first chapter, the most logical conclusion, Samurai 8 is done for, the beginning was the most boring part. XD
Eh, the tiny intro chapter was pretty nice.

It's in the first real chapter that things start dragging.


The content may also be the normal content of these booklets, it is just the cover, but inside there is a listing of all volumes on sale right now. Every manga has an advertisement booklet like this inside it.
That would certainly make more sense than creating a booklet for just one series. Especially with how many other strong series are coming out this month.


Okay, it seems Shueisha has been oversupplying Samurai 8 quite a bit. Bookstore workers have apparently started complaining that they've been getting more stock of it over Spy x Family and Kimetsu in spite of those series having much higher demand.
Ah yes. Such fun. I used to work in a bookstore, and sometimes publishers have great expectations for a title so they send tons of it, but it just ends up lying in the back taking up all of your stock space...

Doesn't mean that it isn't selling, but probably not as fast as expected.
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Teihen Yuchuba ga Uchuu Sensou o Totte Mita
Two questions:

1. What's that in the original Japanese? As in I want the original title so I could decipher it.

2. How could this come out in December when the series hasn't even started?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What are the reasons for S8 not being well received and getting much hate
I only can say for myself, but generally this is the explanation: because it is bad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
That would be Yahagi, if I recall. The last I heard of him, he's Jump SQ's EiC.
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??!!

we could have gotten this guy as eic but we got fucking Nak????

Two questions:

1. What's that in the original Japanese? As in I want the original title so I could decipher it.

2. How could this come out in December when the series hasn't even started?
I dunno I'm just quoting jovan

Actually nevermind, found it (Jujutsu Kaisen is apparently getting a Vol 0 and Vol 2-6 reprint in 2 days)

12/4
My Hero Academia 25 440
act-age 9 440
Hinomaru Zumou 28 440
Kimetsu no Yaiba 18 440
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 19 440
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui 3 440
Mutou to Satou 3 未定
Ore o Suki nano wa Omae dake kayo 5 460
Arata Primal 4 600
Shijinsou no Satsujin 1 未定 (probably a new Jump+ manga, based on a novel/movie apparently)
Boukyaku Battery 6 600
Jigokuraku 8 440
My Hero Academia ILLEGALS- 8 480
Teihen Yuchuba ga Uchuu Sensou o Totte Mita 1 未定 (probably another Jump+ newbie?)
Twin Star Exorcist 20 480
World Trigger 21 480
Kekkai Sensen Back2Back 7 480
Kojirase Hyakki Dominor 4 460

November updates: Shueisha added Beast Children Vol 2 and TSS Vol 2, along with Jump+ newbies Haikyuu-bu Vol 1 and Ministry one Vol 1.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,215
Country
United Nations
oh boy, have not logged in a couple of days and i get greeted by 30+ pages
lemme guess
10 pages = wow S8, such bad, much flop!!
10 pages = muh DIGITAL SALES!!!
10 pages = MHA (enter season number here) will not give it another boosts!!

how close am I?
With the first two, pretty close.

MHA only took 5 pages. ;)


What are the reasons for S8 not being well received and getting much hate
The reason it's not getting well received (by some people) is probably because they don't like it and/or because they were expecting better.

I don't know if it's getting much hate, but if it is, it's probably because it's getting so much attention and the people who don't like it get annoyed by it.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Two questions:

1. What's that in the original Japanese? As in I want the original title so I could decipher it.

2. How could this come out in December when the series hasn't even started?
found the Japanese name

底辺ユーチューバーが宇宙戦争を撮ってみた 1 (読み:ワタナベツネゾウ/バナーイ)
 

hisoga

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
No, he's saying that digital means less income, but also less costs, so the profit (income - costs = profit) is about the same.

The reason the income is lower is because digital stores take a higher percentage of the sales than physical stores do (according to Ruggia's comment).



No, you understood and explained perfectly.
Actually i didnt conclude anything. Genuinely asking because I at that time only just then learned about digital price is same with physical price. Totally different than what i've assumed all these time due to I've always thought that digital cost will be lower than physical. So I assumed the price will be lower. That is all.

All of those questions were just my train of thought. That is why I use "if". There is no debate on my part. Just trying to understand this new informations. Thank you all who help answer me.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
With the first two, pretty close.

MHA only took 5 pages. ;)



The reason it's not getting well received (by some people) is probably because they don't like it and/or because they were expecting better.

I don't know if it's getting much hate, but if it is, it's probably because it's getting so much attention and the people who don't like it get annoyed by it.
They probably ain't reading till the latest chapter, the first 6-7 chapters if samurai 8 we're boring but after that it's getting better and better
 

Boro

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 13, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
31
Age
30
Country
United States
Okay, it seems Shueisha has been oversupplying Samurai 8 quite a bit. Bookstore workers have apparently started complaining that they've been getting more stock of it over Spy x Family and Kimetsu in spite of those series having much higher demand.
Sorry if i ask but...is this another fake news, like the TPN's ending"?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
Furthermore if I remember correctly Masashi kishimoto did say that for this new manga(S8) he will probably take some time to make something really interesting and requested patience from the readers. But the thing is if the company will give him that much of time.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
What are the reasons for S8 not being well received and getting much hate
Why do you assume its not well received and is getting hate? It's irrelevant how some on this forum or any forum views it.
In any case, the sales should start from today so we will start getting solid ideas about the hate or love for the series.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
I feel like the conclusion from my comment should've been the other way around, but I'll give a general description of how the market is structured.

There's no clear-cut answer as to whether a publisher makes more from a copy of a volume sold being sold in physical or in digital.
The portion of revenue digital takes from each sale can range from 30% to as high as 75%, so there's a pretty wide variation. Meanwhile, physical stores only take about 20%, and even if you take into account printing and distribution cost, publishers generally end up with around 40-50% of each sale. In an ideal situation where a publisher can sell every copy it prints, physical sales are more likely to have better margins for the publishers. But the catch is that every unsold copy costs them money to store and/or dispose of the unsold copies.

That said, the publisher-run digital stores probably have the best margins.

Of course, how it affects royalties for mangaka is a completely different matter.

And while I'm at it, a few things regarding digital sales:
  • Majority of digital sales are driven by backlog sales of old/out-of-print series and bulk sales from special discounts events.
  • Generally for new releases of ongoing-series, digital only accounts for 10-30%, although there are exceptions.
  • Unlike physical sales which has majority of the sales happening in first few weeks of release and then decaying rapidly, digital sales by nature are more a steady trickle that accumulates over time
Thank you for the clarification.


Actually i didnt conclude anything. Genuinely asking because I at that time only just then learned about digital price is same with physical price. Totally different than what i've assumed all these time due to I've always thought that digital cost will be lower than physical. So I assumed the price will be lower. That is all.

All of those questions were just my train of thought. That is why I use "if". There is no debate on my part. Just trying to understand this new informations. Thank you all who help answer me.
I guess I misunderstand you.

I was confused when you said "If this is the case, is this mean that publishers make more money from 1 copy of digital tankubon than a physical version?", because the question doesn't seem to fit what ruggia said.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
found the Japanese name

底辺ユーチューバーが宇宙戦争を撮ってみた 1 (読み:ワタナベツネゾウ/バナーイ)
Interesting fact, that one has a page on Shonen Jump website, but is currently empty with just a number 1 in the title.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Interesting fact, that one has a page on Shonen Jump website, but is currently empty with just a number 1 in the title. Another thing, Jump+ titles do not have a page there, so this might be a new Jump manga in the next round.
Oh...? Interesting...are there any other blank pages found?

On another note, checking the site, I find it interesting that, despite being moved to V-Jump, Shueisha still seems to treat Boruto as part of the Jump IP, including it with the other volumes dropping this month despite no longer being part of the magazine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top