Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
However the hatred for Samurai that had been created online since its very first chapters ìera and is still immense .... it was taken for granted that these very first data would have been interpreted in such a drastic way.

I am neutral, in the sense that neither the series nor the author make me mad, but really, to hear certain people it seems that Kishimoto killed his parents.
Who cares? people always makes fun at series.I didn't care if people makes fun of saiyuki, neither with double arts , and many series.

I think is hypocrite go with "they hate it because the writer is a well known author" when we defend it because is by kishi unlike series like U19(which was bad but some people liked it).
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,554
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
This "anyone who speaks negatively of Samurai 8/makes conclusions based on provided data has a Kishi hate-boner" thing is seriously starting to annoy me.
But it is so.

In my opinion, there is a real prejudice against Kishimoto. Already after the first chapter rankato, some spoke of obvious flop wishing / asking for the closure of the manga, it is some are the same people who, every week, read the chapters of Naruto.

That is a manga that, taking as reference the important parameter of sales, even during the phase of decline reached one million copies per volume. Therefore, in my opinion, even with a qualitatively better manga the negative opinions would have been more than those favorable.

Who cares? people always makes fun at series.
But for Samurai I perceive an immense hatred.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Nobody here reads 2.5D/Sa-chan to comment on that instead I guess?
I mean...has anyone here even read 2.5D?

As for Sa-chan, this is the most I can say of the series:

:cookiefinger
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I don't disagree with Ice King about the preconceived hate that S8 got and the bandwagoning because it seemed like the cool thing to do. It did exist.

But I also don't think it matters much anymore because while the series debut isn't a total flop, it has fallen hard on its face meaning it hasn't resonated with a large number of readers in WSJ or beyond.
Again, it might end up debuting with a slightly higher number than 20-30k or it might not. The fact that it's way behind HZ's volume is quite telling.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I mean...has anyone here even read 2.5D?
I did, back when Chapter 1 was out on Jump+. A very generic ecchi with some good art, but I think this could have done well if it was in Jump, gotta be honest. Just not for me though.

I am starting to like Hina Change. But it is a massive, GIANT waste of a great concept potential. If it just went the light/uplifting tone like in the extra chapter from last week...
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Chainsaw Man/Spy x Family/Heart Gear/Moon Land editor had an interview recently

This part seems to be interesting (translated from 4CH)
Promotion is merely a loudspeaker for the product. It's common sense, but no matter how much you promote a boring product, it will never sell. If you promote a boring product as "interesting," you will only sow doubt in the customers: "I'm never going to trust what this author and publisher says". This applies to publishers and editors as well, but if the creator can't claim their work is "interesting" with confidence, they should not promote the product with enthusiasm.
I saw this interview! It is in a tab here for me to read.

But this is what I've been saying since the beginning of this conversation. Maybe people will believe now that an editor said it.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't disagree with Ice King about the preconceived hate that S8 got and the bandwagoning because it seemed like the cool thing to do. It did exist.

But I also don't think it matters much anymore because while the series debut isn't a total flop, it has fallen hard on its face meaning it hasn't resonated with a large number of readers in WSJ or beyond.
Again, it might end up debuting with a slightly higher number than 20-30k or it might not. The fact that it's way behind HZ's volume is quite telling.
It is not my case because I was not here when Samurai 8 started and I don't read reviews of any sort and I still disliked it. It is hard to believe that people just don't like the series by its content are not some hater?
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
I don't disagree with Ice King about the preconceived hate that S8 got and the bandwagoning because it seemed like the cool thing to do. It did exist.
-People hated Hungry Marie and make fun of it
-People hated U19 and make fun of it because it seemed like the cool thing to do
-People hated Golem Heart and make fun of it because it seemed like the cool thing to do
-People hated Hungry Joker and make fun of it because it seemed like the cool thing to do
-People hated Black clover(I did) and make fun of it because it seemed like the cool thing to do
-People for years make fun of nisekoi and hated it because it seemed like the cool thing to do

That's what I try to say, people try to makes it about idiots blindly hating a series because they are morons and hiding that it happened for years to other series that didn't matter to them.

The thing is that they were expecting Sam8 to have decent sales and makes fun of rain's damage control and crying about samurai 8.And now , they are acting like him.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
You know what anime I want on Netflix in Canada? HxH. They have it but until greed Island or something.
It is not my case because I was not here when Samurai 8 started and I don't read reviews of any sort and I still disliked it. It is hard to believe that people just don't like the series by its content are not some hater?
Is it hard for you understand the concept of bandwagoning? People, particularly the younger people, want to feel included and if the cool thing is to hate on something or someone, they join in without even giving it a genuine try. Happens all the time with music artists, movies, some sport athletes, authors, food, you name it.

But it's also clear that S8 hasn't resonated otherwise either. So, I'm not even trying to deny that. Honestly, don't really care. I don't read the series. I'm more intrigued to see how it ranks in the next few days and if its final number will have any surprises.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Duh, I'm TLing it. Also, series gets almost 1M views per chapter in the app :(
Interesting, how much is compared to other series?
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Interesting, how much is compared to other series?
It's not bad, to be honest. It's always up in 6th position or so in popularity rankings. It's doing better than for example Interrogation Princess, and compared to, let's say, Hina Change and Sa-chan, that got picked by M+, its performance surpasses BY FAR both. It won't sell much being it a Jump+ series nor will reach SxF level, but considering it's only 15 chapters for now, it's doing really fine. Also, having a special chapter published in WSJ is already a big deal.
 

hisoga

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
So, is this mean Kishimoto's name alone arent enough to carry a series?
What about boruto and RxL? Did they had big numbers for their debut for other reason than their mangaka's name?

For boruto maybe because of Naruto and not Kishimoto?
Or if not then what Kishimoto did or didnt do that make his or Naruto's fans didnt at least rtying to give a chance for S8?


Another thing, what is are you guys prediction for KnY total sales for this year? If iirc, you guys did make some prediction for other mangas last year right?
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
What are the chances that SxF would have 1 million copies in print before Vol 3? I'd say very high chance of that happening.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
What are the chances that SxF would have 1 million copies in print before Vol 3? I'd say very high chance of that happening.
Knowing it had 350k before Volume 2, I wouldn't find it strange to have for now at least 450k copies in print. If series manages to keep growing as it has been doing, 1M is an easy goal.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Is SxF Vol.1 still selling around 20k per week like the past months? If so then maybe, but I think together Vol.1 and 2 can reach 800k before Vol3 comes out easily, 1 Million on their own seems pretty low chance to me.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
For boruto maybe because of Naruto and not Kishimoto?
Or if not then what Kishimoto did or didnt do that make his or Naruto's fans didnt at least rtying to give a chance for S8?
I think many of them did try to give it a chance... but even the defenders of the series agree that the first chapters were kind of boring, so then you lose people fast...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top