Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,554
Reaction score
11,295
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What ??

I don't understand.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That and Shy (from Champion) have been 2 best newbies from 2019 for me.

Kind of a shame SxF overshadowed Heart Gear (the serialization companion from the same batch), also a very decent read.
Shy is great. And... it's better than MHA, dare I say.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I did, back when Chapter 1 was out on Jump+. A very generic ecchi with some good art, but I think this could have done well if it was in Jump, gotta be honest. Just not for me though.

I am starting to like Hina Change. But it is a massive, GIANT waste of a great concept potential. If it just went the light/uplifting tone like in the extra chapter from last week...
Sachan is a dumpster of fire. lol I still read it because I want to see how it'll end as the MC has no idea that what he's doing is wrong.

As for Hina change, I really like it for quite some time. The last chapter was really great with the pov of boy.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
This is pretty sad lol

Wow...putting aside how hideously overdone this marketing stunt is, how are these pamphlets supposed to entice people to read? Literally all the are is the first few pages, which don't have any of the main characters in full view, and has a large amount of very wordy text with lots of terminology and context-sensitive dialogue, all written in an old-fashioned dialect. Nothing about these communicate the actual story, or a reason to read the series.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Man, I feel sorry for everyone who got tired of the Samurai 8 discussion here. It’s probably gonna be what we’re talking about most of the time for the next couple days, at least until the Oricon numbers come out.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
Man, I feel sorry for everyone who got tired of the Samurai 8 discussion here. It’s probably gonna be what we’re talking about most of the time for the next couple days, at least until the Oricon numbers come out.
Oh, it's gonna be the main topic of discussion until long after that.

I mean, this is the long-awaited return of the second most successful mangaka of all time. It's kind of a big deal.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Oh, it's gonna be the main topic of discussion until long after that.

I mean, this is the long-awaited return of the second most successful mangaka of all time. It's kind of a big deal.
Third. One Piece and Dragon Ball are the first two. Meaning Oda and Toriyama.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
And there is still people saying that this is not excessive pushing. I officially give up. Afterwards people will complain when half of the forum wants the series to drop dead. Only One Piece is more than 2 millions copies of this leaflet featuring only one series!
Anyway... sigh...
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
Third. One Piece and Dragon Ball are the first two. Meaning Oda and Toriyama.
True. Dragon Ball slipped past me. Actually, just checked and according to Wikipedia Golgo 13 is above Naruto, too.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
should be at least 5 million of these pamphlets :oooh :oooh :oooh .
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I'm curious if these pamphlets were in other Shueisha manga as well and not just WSJ.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Yeah but that's technically WSJ still. I meant more like Young Jump and that kind.
i doubt they have the same release schedule

yeah most newest volumes of Young Jump stuff were all released 9/19
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
i doubt they have the same release schedule

yeah most newest volumes of Young Jump stuff were all released 9/19
Yes, I find it likely that a promotion happened with SQ releases instead. Kishi even released a oneshot there post Naruto.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,216
Country
United Nations
Christ your taste is so weird. What DO you like? Are you just past your shonen period?
I'm currently buying/following (not in order) Dragon Ball Super, World Trigger, Haikyu, The Promised Neverland, Dr Stone, Blue Exorcist, Seraph of the End, Arslan, Btooom, Real Account, The Seven Deadly Sins, Summer time rendering, Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku, Moon Land, Curtain's up, I'm off, Act-age, Arata Primal, Chihayafuru, Space Brothers, Bride Stories, Natsume's Book of Friends, Psychic Investigator Yakumo, Detective Conan, Liar Game, Daytime Shooting Star, Tomo-chan is a girl, and probably some more that I can't think of right now.

So no, I don't think I'm past my shonen period (though I'm not limiting myself to just that, either). But some series simply don't do anything for me.


Jujutsu kaisen at ch 76 has 515k views
Samurai 8 at ch 20 is 450k views don't think that's so bad.
Even actage has around 382k views at ch 83
Keep in mind that M+ has only been around since January, so chapters that appeared before that don't count. Also the site is getting more and more popular, so chapters are getting more hits now than in the beginning.

For those reasons (and the fact that some people are still reading illegal scans), you can't really use it to judge older series. I do think it can give a good indication of how newcomers are doing, especially if they came out around the same time (Yozakura is doing 25000 views/chapter, Mitama 5000. That's pretty telling).
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Curious if Jump will try to push the next manga from Kubo like this too...
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,216
Country
United Nations
Curious if Jump will try to push the next manga from Kubo like this too...
If this one bombs, don't count on it.

If it does get really popular after all (not likely), then probably.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Curious if Jump will try to push the next manga from Kubo like this too...
mann, imagine if he was really going for burn the witch. but instead of drawing, he would only write
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Curious if Jump will try to push the next manga from Kubo like this too...
Yep, of course they will. Just because it failed once doesn't mean return of someone else would not succeed. Don't forget, Shimabu, Ohba/Obata returns in WSJ were all huge successes.

mann, imagine if he was really going for burn the witch. but instead of drawing, he would only write
Kubo's greatest strength is his art. So, if he isn't drawing, he shouldn't be back. I'd rather he do a monthly series in that case if it gives him more room for his health and life.

This is of course if he comes back, which I don't think he will.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top