Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Has Beast Children had any explicit statement about their match or whatever their doing being the final one? TSS said that, Yui Kamio mentioned this enemy is the top villain of the series, and the pro qualifying matches are almost done in Double Taisei.
Beast Children is literally covering ONE MATCH (not even a tournament or anything) with a main rival for 6-7 chapters now. It's done.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Mangaplus IDs are reseting at a perfect time. Sadly, we will only know if/what is ending in issues 47 and 48 (and 49 if it's 5 IDs batch again)
 

Jorden Rivera

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2017
Messages
392
Reaction score
724
Age
29
Country
United States
I know this Twitter poll itself is not really an indicator of reception/popularity, but it is interesting to see Mitama so high.

TL goes as
1. Jujutsu Kaisen
2. Act-Age
3. Haikyu
4. One Piece
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. Mitama Security
7. Chainsaw Man
8. Dr. Stone
9. My Hero Academia
10. Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
11. Yozakura-san chi no Daisakusen
12. Yakusoku no Neverland
13. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
14. Samurai 8
15. Beast Children
16. We Never Learn
17. Double Taisei
18. Black Clover
19. Tokyo Shinobi Squad.
Yo, Jujutsu Kaisen out here taking Ws. Love to see it. Understandable considering that last chapter. I just wish it got more attention (from the magazine and the western audience).
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Beast Children is literally covering ONE MATCH (not even a tournament or anything) with a main rival for 6-7 chapters now. It's done.
Oof, that sounds rough. I can see why this one seemed to be selling the least out of the newest 3 series. That sounds pretty slow-paced and dull
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Beast Children is literally covering ONE MATCH (not even a tournament or anything) with a main rival for 6-7 chapters now. It's done.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Mangaplus IDs are reseting at a perfect time. Sadly, we will only know if/what is ending in issues 47 and 48 (and 49 if it's 5 IDs batch again)
I don't think it will be all that. Also because it had a lot of 4 series this year.
If you are not careful, this can harm yozakura and mitama.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Mitama's main problem for me is that the main character is pretty unlikable. His absurdity goes beyond humor and just isn't usually that funny to me. The spirit, on the other hand, tend to be the funny part of each chapter for me, with last week's chapter being the best one by far.
Yeah, spirits are funny. Mitama not so much.

Also, I'll take this moment to praise Double Taisei artwork since no one seems to be doing it yet.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yo, Jujutsu Kaisen out here taking Ws. Love to see it. Understandable considering that last chapter. I just wish it got more attention (from the magazine and the western audience).
It has the most color pages this year, its doing fine. Just hope for a KnY like adaptation if you want it to blow up in the west
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Also, I'll take this moment to praise Double Taisei artwork since no one seems to be doing it yet.
Have been doing so for a while now! To the point where I want him and Togashi to team up, so he can do HxH's art while Togashi focuses on the writing/storyboards. : p
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Yeah, spirits are funny. Mitama not so much.

Also, I'll take this moment to praise Double Taisei artwork since no one seems to be doing it yet.
I was just mentioning that a little bit ago. The artwork is basically the main reason I started reading the series, and the artwork plus my inability to look away from the dramatic whiplash that was taking place in the early chapters is what kept me around (plus Haga). Then a miracle happened and the author hit his stride; SOL comedy. Once he started to take the subject mater a bit less seriously and much less dramatically, everything became much more enjoyable to read. The artstyle just works really well for an SOL romcom.

The author is right up their on my list of authors who I hope return in some fashion who could potentially have the next big romcom, alongside Cross Account's author and David-kun's author. That one chapter cover he did of Saotome was quite superbly designed. I think any of these 3 authors could easily fill the voids of romcoms and ecchi romcoms and We Never Learn graduating and Yuuna passing on will leave in the magazine.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Yo, Jujutsu Kaisen out here taking Ws. Love to see it. Understandable considering that last chapter. I just wish it got more attention (from the magazine and the western audience).
JJK is very popular in the west for a series with no anime, and its doing fine in Japan
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
JJK is very popular in the west for a series with no anime, and its doing fine in Japan
From what I can gather about the series, I'd probably swap the locations in your sentence around. The series is selling fantastically in Japan, and it seems to be doing well enough outside of Japan for a series without an anime. I'm not sure if it'll explode to the same level that Kimetsu did, but I do expect to see a substantial increase in backlog sales once this gets an anime (and this is coming from someone who doesn't really even like the series)
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Last of the Samurai 8 photos, I promise. Honestly...this might be the most depressing of the lot...

 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
man these pictures take me back 10~15 years ago when I walk in the bookstore to grab one or several volumes, and then read it during class when the teacher isn't looking because I couldn't wait till recess.

:wooo Nowadays one click of a button and they arrive to your house.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
so you gonna ignore his whole story progression since ch 1, yes he got heavy adviced for changes characters name and not turning naruto to an animal. But what he did further else is the most inspirational & iconic franchise in shonen history, without the big 3 influence we would be nothing.
Now you are confusing things, on one side you say that Naruto is the most inspirational & iconic franchise in history, it is clearly not, and then you talk about the big 3 as if I was denying the big 3 when I'm talking only about Naruto and Kishimoto.

I feel like some of you are mistaking his legacy for his innate story telling ability. Kishi is not a genius. He can craft good stories and has great art. But he is not a genius. Inoue is a genius. I would not consider anyone else a genius really. Maybe Togashi. But we have no idea if HxH's quality would have remained high had he serialized it normally. So we won't know.

That said. Kishi's legacy is his own. No one can take that away from him and what he has done for the industry overall.
I was thinking the same thing when I was thinking about who could be a genius in this industry, Inoue was the only author that came to my mind, all his series were a success, all are great in story and art, oh the art... *-*
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Last of the Samurai 8 photos, I promise. Honestly...this might be the most depressing of the lot...

They should start to think about making a promotion: "Buy a Kimetsu no Yaiba volume and get Samurai 8 for free!"
It would fly from the shelves. :3c
 
Last edited:

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
They would start to think about making a promotion: "Buy a Kimetsu no Yaiba volume and get Samurai 8 for free!"
It would fly from the shelves. :3c
More like "buy a volume of Samurai 8, get moved to the top of the pre-order list for once Kimetsu volumes are reprinted again!" That's probably move units lol
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
More like "buy a volume of Samurai 8, get moved to the top of the pre-order list for once Kimetsu volumes are reprinted again!" That's probably move units lol
Yeah, I confess this is more realistic, look at the photo, there is still volumes there, but it looks like less than 10. XD
They were veeeeeeery generous with Samurai 8 print number while Kimetus no Yaiba is in a shortage despite being clearly flying from the shelves.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Even if this look bad for Samurai 8, I think we should wait to the second day sales.

After we couldn't be sure until then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top