Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
By what we've heard so far he didn't do whatever he wanted during the Naruto serialization, he was complaining about that, right? By the half to the end of the series where we suppose he had more liberty the series looked like a derailed train. lol
So no, I don't consider him a genius and I'm not trolling anybody.
so you gonna ignore his whole story progression since ch 1, yes he got heavy adviced for changes characters name and not turning naruto to an animal. But what he did further else is the most inspirational & iconic franchise in shonen history, without the big 3 influence we would be nothing.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
So are we playing the blame game as to who's "fault" it is for Samurai 8?

Because, like it or not, it's all on Kishimoto. All the evidence points to the series having little to no editorial input, so what the series is and what happens to it is entirely on him and him alone.
Assumption based on no evidence.
We have no evidence that he had no editorial input. You're interpreting the interview with the editor in a way to suit your opinion. Does not make it a fact.

His return was the biggest return of a mangaka since maybe Togashi. There's a higher chance that it he got multiple inputs from various editors (maybe even the editor in chief) than there is the chance of him not getting any inputs. This was after all WSJ's biggest chance to get a instant hit. It's quite possible he submitted many storyboards and got various opinions.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
so you gonna ignore his whole story progression since ch 1, yes he got heavy adviced for changes characters name and not turning naruto to an animal. But what he did further else is the most inspirational & iconic franchise in shonen history, without the big 3 influence we would be nothing.
I feel like some of you are mistaking his legacy for his innate story telling ability. Kishi is not a genius. He can craft good stories and has great art. But he is not a genius. Inoue is a genius. I would not consider anyone else a genius really. Maybe Togashi. But we have no idea if HxH's quality would have remained high had he serialized it normally. So we won't know.

That said. Kishi's legacy is his own. No one can take that away from him and what he has done for the industry overall.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Guys, general heads up, Bakuman was not meant to be a 1:1 with the reality of Jump. Plenty of elements and ideas in it are exaggerated for dramatic effect, even if large parts of it are true.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Kokushibou flashback is most important in explaining all the mysteries of the manga, as it involves the tanjiro family. And there is also the letter that Rengoku's brother handed him.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
If I can change the topic a bit:

Are there any Jump Plus titles that you find yourself enjoying? What makes you enjoy them so much?
I actually enjoy quite a bit from their currently-running series (in alphabetical order; favorites in bold): 2.5 Dimensional Seduction, Aharen-san wa Hakarenai, Ao no Flag, Dosanko Gyaru ha Namaramenkoi, Hina Change, It's Time for "Interrogation," Princess!, Saotome Shimai Ha Manga no Tame Nara!?, Satchan, boku wa. Shouwa Otome Otogibanashi, Slime Life, Spy x Family, and Tokedase! Mizore-chan.

Of the concluded series: High Risk Mission Therapy, Hinmin Choujin Kanenashi-kun, iShoujo+, Kanata no Astra, Magical Pâtissière Kosaki-chan, Mone-san no Majime Sugiru Tsukiaikata, Saguri-san Tankentai, Yumizuka Iroha wa Tejun ga Daiji!.

Honestly, I like the increased freedom I feel like they have being released on an online platform. Saotome can really push the absurdity of its ecchi boundaries (as did High Risk Mission Therapy), Ao no Flag can tackle some more serious issues, and more innocent

No devilyman, who was the previous work of the author of Double taisei, hinted that the protagonist had committed suicide. So, this is not the first time this author has addressed this topic.
Dang, this dude really likes to try to insert drama into comedy series. Depending on how everything gets handled next chapter will determine how I feel about this sudden turn of events. I'm also curious to see who it was that was with Sei in the car. It seemed like a guy, but was it the butler, or someone else?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

We should have an award for the most WTF manga of the year. The competition could be strong.
What would the other contenders for the year be besides Yui Kamio and Double Taisei? Out of the other WSJ titles that've been serialized this year, I can't think of any others that could compete with the levels of randomness these 2 have exhibited over their runs. I was originally going to possibly add Noah's Notes and Seiji Tanaka, but then I remembered those both ended last year. Hard to believe so much time has gone by since those were around
 

KoL2.0

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 6, 2019
Messages
37
Reaction score
35
Age
29
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kishi went to his first editor (Editor and Chief of WSJ and the one who initially made those suggestions for Naruto) for input on Samurai 8.

So, I doubt it's something along the lines of Kishi not having any Editorial input. At worst, the Japanese just aren't interested. I think Shueisha is just gonna wait and let it play out until S8 hits the west to see its reception before giving the Axe (As long as it keeps doing the same numbers with increases here and there).
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
So, I doubt it's something along the lines of Kishi not having any Editorial input. At worst, the Japanese just aren't interested. I think Shueisha is just gonna wait and let it play out until S8 hits the west to see its reception before giving the Axe (As long as it keeps doing the same numbers with increases here and there).
Mmm I don't think WSJ really cares about its reception in the west? They might still keep S8 around for a limited time (2 years is what I keep saying) but I don't think popularity outside of Japan will influence something that is running in a Japanese magazine meant for Japanese readers. Popularity outside Japan is always a bonus but that won't become a reason to keep it.
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I accept that you find it funny, I just want to say that there are people who don't see it as that comedically great. The only "humor" so far is the characters saying scary things and the MC going "AAAAHHH I'M A PUSSY NO NO KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME"
If I didn't follow the discussion, I would think you're talking about Mitama. I mean, literally all jokes are about how the character is fearful of ghosts
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
If I didn't follow the discussion, I would think you're talking about Mitama. I mean, literally all jokes are about how the character is fearful of ghosts
No joke, when I was reading through/checking all the new chapters this mourning, I actually forgot Mitama entirely. The series is so utterly forgettable that it just vanishes from my mind-space.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
I feel like some of you are mistaking his legacy for his innate story telling ability. Kishi is not a genius. He can craft good stories and has great art. But he is not a genius. Inoue is a genius. I would not consider anyone else a genius really. Maybe Togashi. But we have no idea if HxH's quality would have remained high had he serialized it normally. So we won't know.

That said. Kishi's legacy is his own. No one can take that away from him and what he has done for the industry overall.
You're talking of all mangaka? I'd have a good amount more, though maybe I'm just really generous. :sweatdrop

And for me, time wouldn't factor into things.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
No joke, when I was reading through/checking all the new chapters this mourning, I actually forgot Mitama entirely. The series is so utterly forgettable that it just vanishes from my mind-space.
Mitama's main problem for me is that the main character is pretty unlikable. His absurdity goes beyond humor and just isn't usually that funny to me. The spirit, on the other hand, tend to be the funny part of each chapter for me, with last week's chapter being the best one by far.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,457
Reaction score
39,356
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Mitama Secureity has been so far pretty funny to me, each chapter is better and funnier than the one before specially when you get used and understand each character's personality and their job to make the jokes work.

If anything the fact that Manga Plus comments about the manga got from "what is this shit? Is so bad" to "This manga just gets better and better and is super funny now" shows the improvement.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The ip thing wouldnt be updated today?
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Mitama Secureity has been so far pretty funny to me, each chapter is better and funnier than the one before specially when you get used and understand each character's personality and their job to make the jokes work.

If anything the fact that Manga Plus comments about the manga got from "what is this shit? Is so bad" to "This manga just gets better and better and is super funny now" shows the improvement.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The ip thing wouldnt be updated today?
IDs will reset next issue.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Mitama Secureity has been so far pretty funny to me, each chapter is better and funnier than the one before specially when you get used and understand each character's personality and their job to make the jokes work.

If anything the fact that Manga Plus comments about the manga got from "what is this shit? Is so bad" to "This manga just gets better and better and is super funny now" shows the improvement.
I don't think it's bad per se, but dissecting every aspect of the series, the only think I really don't like is the main guy. The spirits are funny, Rena Haze is alright, as was the side character, but the main guy gets on my serves 4 out of 5 times. However, up until this week's chapter, each one was better than the last, I will agree with that wholeheartedly. I think it's still too early to write it off just yet
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
You're talking of all mangaka? I'd have a good amount more, though maybe I'm just really generous. :sweatdrop

And for me, time wouldn't factor into things.
I was talking more about WSJ. There are plenty more outside WSJ.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
they'll put mitama in the back of the magazine, watch.
I can honestly see that. Stick it around for 8 months or so as the token gag manga for the kodomo demographic, it doesn't really hurt anyone in its current situation.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Just missed it because it's a throwaway line, but TSS outright said its the "final mission".

Cancellation flag, begin...
Has Beast Children had any explicit statement about their match or whatever their doing being the final one? TSS said that, Yui Kamio mentioned this enemy is the top villain of the series, and the pro qualifying matches are almost done in Double Taisei.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top