Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The power of Ufotable. I wonder if Ufotable is going to start doing more shonen jump or manga adaptations. I wouldnt mind seeing Jigokuraku done by them. They could really use a series with great world building.


I feel like it can if Muzan runs away. In the same way that its done in Inuyasha with Naraku but less obnoxious. I hope Gotouge doesnt get persuaded by the editors to prolong the series more than it should due to the overwhelming success its having now.

I hope it ends soon and doesnt fall under the same fate that brings a lot of shonens down in quality by doing a timeskip.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Its gonna do 600-650k but I dont see it getting another boost until season 2/movie. I dont see it beating MHA's per volume sales. MHA is selling ~800k right? I predict that Kimetsu will peak at 750k.
I can only dream of Ufotable taking over JJK's anime adaptation.

MHA's last volume sold 538k within a month, while the series's peak within a month was with volume 21 with 592k copies sold. Within a year, the peak was at 821k with volume 17 last year. It might have surpassed that peak with volume 21 this year but we'll have to wait for the yearly numbers next month.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I read three more from this week issue.
In Chainsaw man Denji is so dead this time, I'm triggered since last week chapter as you probably remember. XD
In Double Taisei that was incredibly sudden. I already knew the author gave up, but now he surpassed himself.
In Yozakura Family we had another great chapter despite the fast pacing, it could be a little slower, I don't know if it is part of the plan or not. Anyway, the scenes of action is always great, but it looks like that action movies where there isn't much story, just explosions and "bang" scenes. I don't know if this can appeal to the Japanese readers.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I can only dream of Ufotable taking over JJK's anime adaptation.

MHA's last volume sold 538k within a month, while the series's peak within a month was with volume 21 with 592k copies sold. Within a year, the peak was at 821k with volume 17 last year. It might have surpassed that peak with volume 21 this year but we'll have to wait for the yearly numbers next month.
That would be awesome too. Aside from Ufo, I do want to see studio trigger try out some WSJ titles even if its unlikely. Bones is a good option for both Jigo/JJK too.

It could be that MHA has better legs than KnY we have to wait and see.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I expected Kimetsu to sell around 300k with the first season and look where we are now...Im now more interested in seeing the franchise sales. I think the odds of it being #1 for franchise sales are a lot higher for #1 manga sales. Iirc ticket sales dont count for franchise sales so it has a bigger chance of beating OP.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Kimestu utterly exploding is def the one major bright spot in what has been a very not great year for WSJ.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Do you guys think that Act-Age can explode with a well done anime or is it too edgy for that?
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States

You're welcome
Literally in the same Twitter thread
Replying to
@kiirobon
I wouldn't take that literally. Those author flaps are usually jokes. I think he just means like "I did it, now I can die!"
Also do you read Japanese? You can't tell the nuance from the comment can you? He also made similar jokes at the same time that were far more clearly jokes.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Try this http://hiwamatanoboru.com/2019/08/25/gintama-koujien-fanbook-ending/#comments and maybe get some sense of humor would help. You are welcome
Oh ok based you said it before me 🙂
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Try this http://hiwamatanoboru.com/2019/08/25/gintama-koujien-fanbook-ending/#comments and maybe get some sense of humor would help. You are welcome
Oh ok based you said it before me 🙂
The anime is better than the manga. I dislike the Overhaul Arc but I want to see the Kirishima fight animated, as Boku no Herl fights are much more interesting in the anime to me.

The first tweet answering this one is saying how we shouldn't take it literally though
Makes sense, thanks for answering. And speaking facts
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Try this then, for real, even if you dont follow Gintama, you should know that Sorachi is probably the biggest troll in Jump history
Nothing's in your spoiler! Please what did you post!
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Try this then, for real, even if you dont follow Gintama, you should know that Sorachi is probably the biggest troll in Jump history
Nothing's in your spoiler! Please what did you post!
...shit, it’s gonna break 650k in a month at this rate...

I kind of want there to be a poll about how much the latest volume will sell in a month.
BASED, glad I bought volumes in advance
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Are people still saying that? Sorachi made it pretty clear it was a joke. There's a whole interview I translated in the Gintama Fanbook that talked about his plans for his next series and his various editors making suggestions. He was kidding saying that like "I broke so many deadlines there's no way they'll let me work in this industry again".
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
I can only dream of Ufotable taking over JJK's anime adaptation.

MHA's last volume sold 538k within a month, while the series's peak within a month was with volume 21 with 592k copies sold. Within a year, the peak was at 821k with volume 17 last year. It might have surpassed that peak with volume 21 this year but we'll have to wait for the yearly numbers next month.
I don't think JJK would look good with ufotables blend of 3d and rotoscoping. I think bones would be best, but I'd rather they work on Chainsaw 🌝🌚
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Are people still saying that? Sorachi made it pretty clear it was a joke. There's a whole interview I translated in the Gintama Fanbook that talked about his plans for his next series and his various editors making suggestions. He was kidding saying that like "I broke so many deadlines there's no way they'll let me work in this industry again".
THIS
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I expected Kimetsu to sell around 300k with the first season and look where we are now...Im now more interested in seeing the franchise sales. I think the odds of it being #1 for franchise sales are a lot higher for #1 manga sales. Iirc ticket sales dont count for franchise sales so it has a bigger chance of beating OP.
One Piece was the top manga in franchise sales last year, but it was topped by The IDOLM@STER and Love Live overall, with the former winning by a large margin. I don't think it can win, but it will be placed pretty high.

Do you guys think that Act-Age can explode with a well done anime or is it too edgy for that?
Well, I think it can and I hope so.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are people still saying that? Sorachi made it pretty clear it was a joke. There's a whole interview I translated in the Gintama Fanbook that talked about his plans for his next series and his various editors making suggestions. He was kidding saying that like "I broke so many deadlines there's no way they'll let me work in this industry again".
Everybody here knows that anything that goes out of an author mouth is not trustworthy and they decided to believe in just the most troll of all of them. It seems like you guys were born yesterday. :derp
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
If anyone wants to know some rough math:

Tis Time For "Torture," Princess: 37,000 views and 18 chapters = 1542 views per chapter
Mitama Security: 33,000 views and 6 chapters = 5500 views per chapter

Just looking at the total view numbers and declaring one more popular than the other is a bit short-sighted right now, since there's a significant disparity in chapter count. Like Raf says, the best gauge will be to see how much each manga's viewcount increases when they get new chapters.
While I would wait a lot longer before comparing numbers (unless it was a huge success and already in the top 20 or something) it was already pointed out a few pages ago Mitama has a ton of comments on chapter 1 (108) commenting how bad it is while the newest has 9 so I don't really think that many people are still reading it and I would be shocked if it even got 1000 views this chapter never mind 5500
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall

Dunno how many care, but next Jujutsu chapter is concluding the flashback arc.
I hate how out of nowhere it was at first but its conclusion was pretty lit. It even made me reread the prequel.
it was topped by The IDOLM@STER and Love Live overall, with the former winning by a large margin.
Based Idolchads dabbing on shounenvirgins. :derp

Everybody here knows that anything that goes out of an author mouth is not trustworthy and they decided to believe in just the most troll of all of them. It seems like you guys were born yesterday. :derp
Some people are just incapable to read between the lines, it seems.

And about act-age, I would prefer a live-action drama over anime.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
JUMP FESTA'20 (Dec 21-22)

Super Stages (more to be announced)

- One Piece
- Haikyu!!
- My Hero Academia
- Kimetsu no Yaiba
- The Promised Neverland
- Black Clover
- Dr Stone
Dragon Ball Super and New Prince of Tennis Super Stages were also announced. There are 12 super stages each year at Jump Festa. so that leaves 3 spots left

- OP
- HQ
- MHA
- KnY
- TPN
- BC
- Stone
- DBS
- NPOT
- ???
- ???
- ???


I'm guessing the final 3 spots will go to Boruto (100% chance imo), Gintama, and possibly We Never Learn or another Jump SQ series
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
And about act-age, I would prefer a live-action drama over anime.
Why not both? Act-Age has so many scenes where it would fantastic in an anime and wouldn't be that great in a live action.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
And about act-age, I would prefer a live-action drama over anime.
honestly I think this would be awkward unless there's some godly actress out there casting Yonagi for live action would be almost impossible or characters would keep commenting how amazing she is at acting when she just looks like a normal actor.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
Do you guys think that Act-Age can explode with a well done anime or is it too edgy for that?
Well nope at least here we don't prefer such acting dramas. That's not our type in Japan..... Who knows
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Personally i always thought that Kimetsu has what it takes to become a huge success.
I definitely saw it touch 400k. Even 500k was reachable in my eyes. But 600k and beyond was not something I expected. Kimetsu is a quality series, at least till where I read and I'm glad it's being recognized for it.
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
As some as you may already know, I have been helping Buranchi with the polls for a while. However, there isn't much I can do alone, so any kind of feedback: criticism, idea for future polls, etc would really be welcome
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top