Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Ufotable, Bones, and Madhouse should be at the very top of mangakas' lists. The process of how a manga gets adapted has been said to be a mix of the authors/publisher's request or the studios coming forward. But as KnY's success has shown, a manga can receive a massive boost if it's handled by the right studio. I think that from here on, mangakas should be more proactive in selecting studios.

I haven't read KnY yet, but if rumors of it close to ending are true, then it's a shame. Because if KnY's story had a longer shelf life like MHA, it is undoubtedly part of a Big Two with MHA.
Don't forget Production I.G a studio known to makes high quality animation for both international movies (they did a few animation scenes in Kill Bill ) and for manga e.g they did the adaptation for Haikyuu, Kuroko, Prince of Tennis and is one of the best studios to get an animation from imo.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Fear of missing out is a thing after all, if you see this book saying SOLD OUT everything, most people are probably going to think along the lines of 'hey maybe I should check that out if everyone else is buying it'.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I still can't wrap my head around the fact Kimetsu went straight from "has a chance to be in top 10" to "let's see if it can beat OP for #1 spot" in half a year. Who even saw this coming?
Kinda crazy it seems. Just 1 or 2 weeks ago we still had people adamant kny won't surpass kingdom.

2.5d Seduction close to overtake Samurai 8 Vol 2

104 9784088820828 サムライ8 八丸伝 2 集英社 大久保彰 2019.10.4
107 9784088821290 2.5次元の誘惑 1 集英社 橋本悠 2019.10.4
Imagine a year ago if someone told me the dude who got jelly of Nisio and failed all his chances to be big in Jump is selling better than Kishi, I would have adviced him to check his med :derp I hope the dude behind 2.5D is really Ikezawa.

Act-Age to release Vol 1 and 2 in France. Ki-oon just did a promo, out April 2.
So Act-Age, act-age or Act-age :huh:

Ufotable, Bones, and Madhouse should be at the very top of mangakas' lists.
Still have faith in Madhouse after Overlord season 3 :facepalm.
Seriously, you guys have to check it. That adaptation is in the same tier with Berserk 2016.

Hell, even 40 volumes would be enough.
it just a little bit more.
"40 volumes"

Seriously, I believe 20 to 30 volumes is the proper length. Not too short to make fans demand for more, while also not too big to scare of newcomers.

Voting yes just because I want it to happen.
And about the poll, I voted no because I am a lame-ass, boring person who don't believe in miracles. I hope reality prove me wrong. :hi
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Personally, I think that the massive success of series such as Kimetsu, MHA, and TPN is owed in part to their anime adaptations. They’re all seasonal anime being done by studios that are relatively really solid. (It’s kind of a shame TPN was more of a B-project while CloverWorks worked on Fate/GO, though.) I do hope Jump takes notice of this and continue to produce more seasonal, high-quality anime adaptations in the future.

It honestly really makes me sad that Black Clover went for the long-running approach. It’s a good show, but it’s slow pacing really killed a lot of its potential to be popular.

Also, Madhouse is honestly a shell of its former self so I wouldn’t want to give an anime adaptation to them.

Speaking of which, I’m gonna Jump the gun a bit:

Spy x Family.
Jujutsu Kaisen.
Chainsaw Man.

What would your dream anime adaptation of those three manga be like?
 
Last edited:

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
No, for a type of story like Kimetsu IMHO 40 volumes are too many.

They would only end up lengthening the story and making it worse.
I was going to say 30-ish, but I'm not sure that's enough to put it on an equal tier to MHA, or even Kenshin.

Kinda crazy it seems. Just 1 or 2 weeks ago we still had people adamant kny won't surpass kingdom.


Imagine a year ago if someone told me the dude who got jelly of Nisio and failed all his chance to be big in Jump is selling better than Kishi, I would had adviced him to check his med :derp I hope the dude behind 2.5D is really Ikezawa.


So Act-Age, act-age or Act-age :huh:


Still have faith in Madhouse after Overlord season 3 :facepalm.
Seriously, you guys have to check it. That adaptation is in the same tier with Berserk 2016.


"40 volumes" is enough!?

Seriously, I believe 20 to 30 volumes is the proper length. Not to short to make fans demand for more, while also not to big to scare of newcomers.


And about the poll, I voted no because I am a lame-ass, boring person who don't believe in miracles. I hope reality prove me wrong. :hi
See my above reply.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
Kimetsu's anime boost is pretty crazy. MHA, TPN, AoT, AC were all different levels of big before their animes. But KnY's pre-anime peak was comparable to Black Clover's.

Which was the last WSJ manga to go from mid-popularity to mega hit with their anime?
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Don't forget Production I.G a studio known to makes high quality animation for both international movies (they did a few animation scenes in Kill Bill ) and for manga e.g they did the adaptation for Haikyuu, Kuroko, Prince of Tennis and is one of the best studios to get an animation from imo.
I picked Madhouse because of their spectacular work on OPM, but perhaps I overestimated them? And yes, I would pick Production I.G. As my next choice after Madhouse.
 

Aiwass_97

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Messages
340
Reaction score
1,776
Age
29
Country
Peru
Kimetsu's anime boost is pretty crazy. MHA, TPN, AoT, AC were all different levels of big before their animes. But KnY's pre-anime peak was comparable to Black Clover's.

Which was the last WSJ manga to go from mid-popularity to mega hit with their anime?
Kuroko no Basket and Haikyuu!!
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Whatever boost that Kimetsu got,the credit fully goes to Ufotable,their amazing adaptation made this much boost increase.

I also wonder if more Mangaka will want to their series to be taken up by Ufotable.
Don't be silly. Ufotable isn't a guaranteed success maker and it style won't fit every manga (hell it didn't really fit Kimetsu either) and I doubt they can go to ufo to begin with given how I'm pretty sure it only really caught ufo's eye due to Nasu (FSN writer) recommendation for the series.
 

IzayaDLL

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 31, 2018
Messages
29
Reaction score
59
Age
27
Country
Peru
Personally, I think that the massive success of series such as Kimetsu, MHA, and TPN is owed in part to their anime adaptations. They’re all seasonal anime being done by studios that are relatively really solid. (It’s kind of a shame TPN was more of a B-project while CloverWorks worked on Fate/GO, though.) I do hope Jump takes notice of this and continue to produce more seasonal, high-quality anime adaptations in the future.

It honestly really makes me sad that Black Clover went for the long-running approach. It’s a good show, but it’s slow pacing really killed a lot of its potential to be popular.

Also, Madhouse is honestly a shell of its former self so I wouldn’t want to give an anime adaptation to them.

Speaking of which, I’m gonna Jump the gun a bit:

Spy x Family.
Jujutsu Kaisen.
Chainsaw Man.

What would your dream anime adaptation of those three manga be like?
-Spy x Family made by CloverWorks (but with the staff that did the Kaguya-sama adaptation) or Trigger
-Jujutsu Kaisen made by Bones or Production I.G
-Chainsaw-man made by David Production or Shaft
 

IzayaDLL

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 31, 2018
Messages
29
Reaction score
59
Age
27
Country
Peru
A manga doesn't need a good adaptation in order to have success (the prime example this year is Gotoubun no Hanayome). Look at Fire Force that have an awesome adaptation but its BDs are almost selling nothing. What an anime need is somehing that catch the attention of the viewers.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, no, Kimetsu doesnt deserve to beat One Piece.
Honestly the only manga that deserved to beat it was AoT cause not only was it a year after the anime ended but also along the same time the volume sales had also increased so it wasn't just running entirely on backlog. Kimetsu on the otherhand is entirely on backlog and it only got this close fairly recently and along the same time OP's sales armor were starting to break so it couldn't rely on its backlog like in previous years.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

A manga doesn't need a good adaptation in order to have success (the prime example this year is Gotoubun no Hanayome). Look at Fire Force that have an awesome adaptation but its BDs are almost selling nothing. What an anime need is somehing that catch the attention of the viewers.


Also FF proves that no matter how much care is put into your work it won't mask the fact that the work itself isn't very good. Ufo just brought out what a lot of people already knew what made Kimetsu so good whereas David almost seem too good for the source of material its working on.
 

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
Ufotable, Bones, and Madhouse should be at the very top of mangakas' lists. The process of how a manga gets adapted has been said to be a mix of the authors/publisher's request or the studios coming forward. But as KnY's success has shown, a manga can receive a massive boost if it's handled by the right studio. I think that from here on, mangakas should be more proactive in selecting studios.
Name one series by Madhouse that got a good boost after they animated OPM.

What you guys neglect to remember is that Shuiesha allowed kny to have an unbelievably great schedule. By the time the anime aired, more than half of the series was already animated. Anime adaptations by other studios are rarely given the same luxury.
It honestly really makes me sad that Black Clover went for the long-running approach. It’s a good show, but it’s slow pacing really killed a lot of its potential to be popular
The anime got an extension for a third year. Why do people still believe the series isn't popular? It's one of TV Tokyo's biggest property.
 

Kharthas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
420
Age
34
Country
United States
Plenty of other manga that ain't exorcist manga number 1001. Heck, I think it would have been great if Slam Dunk managed to beat it last year, or Kingdom this year. but, well, Kingdom got Pierot....
I mean, we're talking about sales, not how a manga is better than another. Should Kimetsu beats OP this year, it will be because of its huge backlog sales. It's just an one time thing, and no one with two brain cells will think Kimetsu is anywhere near Slam Dunk or Kingdom tier.
Whatever boost that Kimetsu got,the credit fully goes to Ufotable,their amazing adaptation made this much boost increase.

I also wonder if more Mangaka will want to their series to be taken up by Ufotable.
I bet that mangaka in general would want for their series to be adapted by Ufotable even before Kimetsu, but it's not like they have a choice in the matter
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Honestly the only manga that deserved to beat it was AoT cause not only was it a year after the anime ended but also along the same time the volume sales had also increased so it wasn't just running entirely on backlog. Kimetsu on the otherhand is entirely on backlog and it only got this close fairly recently and along the same time OP's sales armor were starting to break so it couldn't rely on its backlog like in previous years.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---




Also FF proves that no matter how much care is put into your work it won't mask the fact that the work itself isn't very good. Ufo just brought out what a lot of people already knew what made Kimetsu so good whereas David almost seem too good for the source of material its working on.
I’m also pretty sure another reason for its failure was that the whole show suddenly hit WAY too close to home about two to three episodes in. Not it’s own fault but the timing was really bad.
 

Kharthas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
420
Age
34
Country
United States
I haven't read KnY yet, but if rumors of it close to ending are true, then it's a shame. Because if KnY's story had a longer shelf life like MHA, it is undoubtedly part of a Big Two with MHA.
Even if this is not the final arc, I don't see Kimetsu running longer than 25 volumes. It's simply not set up for the long run like MHA and BC, with its straightforward story and fast pacing. The author doesn't have appetite for "filler" content either.

Don't be silly. Ufotable isn't a guaranteed success maker and it style won't fit every manga (hell it didn't really fit Kimetsu either) and I doubt they can go to ufo to begin with given how I'm pretty sure it only really caught ufo's eye due to Nasu (FSN writer) recommendation for the series.
I hear this a lot, but is there a source for Nasu recommending the manga to ufotable?
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
A manga doesn't need a good adaptation in order to have success (the prime example this year is Gotoubun no Hanayome). Look at Fire Force that have an awesome adaptation but its BDs are almost selling nothing. What an anime need is somehing that catch the attention of the viewers.
People forget Neverland also bombed in BD sales yet anine helped the sales a lot. BD is far from only criteria for the success.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I’m also pretty sure another reason for its failure was that the whole show suddenly hit WAY too close to home about two to three episodes in. Not it’s own fault but the timing was really bad.
People say this but Promare was a huge success and even with the incident it didn't slow down sales at all. Even after the incident FF was still the talk of the town for weeks but then people just stopped when it flaws started hampering their enjoyment which had nothing to do with anything but the show itself.
I hear this a lot, but is there a source for Nasu recommending the manga to ufotable?
Its honestly just speculation but it feels too coincidental that ufotable, a studio that has been active for 19 years, was suddenly interested in adaptating a WSJ manga to TV right after the writer of Fate said something about it since the last time they did anything with WSJ was animating the Toriko Jump Festa pilot. Maybe Nasu didn't directly convince them to adapt it but his author recommendation might have gotten it attention from venues.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I mean, we're talking about sales, not how a manga is better than another. Should Kimetsu beats OP this year, it will be because of its huge backlog sales. It's just an one time thing, and no one with two brain cells will think Kimetsu is anywhere near Slam Dunk or Kingdom tier.


I bet that mangaka in general would want for their series to be adapted by Ufotable even before Kimetsu, but it's not like they have a choice in the matter
I recall that Nak says the process of adapting a series is kind of mixed between the studios' initiative and the publisher/mangaka. From what he implies, mangakas could specifically request which studio he wants to animate their work, if they actually wanted to.

Even if this is not the final arc, I don't see Kimetsu running longer than 25 volumes. It's simply not set up for the long run like MHA and BC, with its straightforward story and fast pacing. The author doesn't have appetite for "filler" content either.
I can't help but wonder if Gator-sensei might be feeling a bit of regret not trying to insert more light-hearted arcs in between like Hori does with MHA. Hori was successful right out of the gate (it helps that he had some really fortunate timing), so it wouldn't surprise me if his editors told him to insert some light arcs in between to help prolong its shelf life. Of course, I do know how some people have an issue with that, but my overall opinion of the lighter arcs is mostly positive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top